Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This is the biggest cop out on this thread

"But a new house relatively close to Galway may appeal to people today that it wouldn’t have in the past for obvious reasons."

We have pointed out the reasons why, even if it did appeal to someone, they are not worth that price. Buyers interested in Craughwell likely would have lower budgets, those with a budget for those houses would prefer to live in Oranmore or Galway, both nearby, both have very nice houses in the 700k price range, and both have a lot more going on that the village that is Craughwell.

If a lamborghini is in your budget, why would you buy a fiat punto for the same price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

That's a big rise for the ultra cautious ECB. That's a strong signal that the sh#t may be about to hit the fan, if it hasn't already done so.

Some big mortgage payment increases on the way. Has a feeling of 2007 around the place lately

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why do you think the arbitrary value you put on a property applies to everyone else? Time will tell if the market agrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do you ever get tired of playing devil's advocate?

Why are you commenting if you zero knowledge of the area. Location is the top factor in price point. So your opinion is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

In particular, this could assist Italy whose cost of borrowing has been creeping upwards in recent times amid political uncertainty in Government there and a mounting €2.759 trillion debt pile.

**** fcuked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

What does this increase mean for the likes of me?

I signed a loan offer back in March with an interest rate of 1.9%.

I'm buying a new build which is due to be ready around November (assuming it's not delayed).

So I'll have to renew the loan offer again in September. Highly unlikely I'll get 1.9% again. Will this mean I'll be offered around 2.4% or is it possible the banks here don't have to increase their rates the full 0.5%?

Because the principals of property value apply countrywide.

It is not devils advocate to state that what you think the value of a property is, may not match the value the market puts on it. If you think your opinion defines the value, you are either deluded about your ability, or clueless about how markets work.

The value of that house is what someone is willing to pay for it. It’s that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

another .5% most likely on the cards for sept as well so you could be 2.9% instead of 1.9%

major concerns that consumers and businesses will tighten their belts now - many households down about 4k net of taxes this year when oil/gas heating, petrol/deisel fuel, electricity, food prices, new interest rate rises factored in.. this is just to basically thread water on last year.. many not getting pay rises to cover anywhere near rising inflation, rent increases, plus rising interest rates etc. serious risk of major recession on the cards heading into this winter as EU and russia play with cutting off gas supplies ..

anectodally many now thinking of holding off on large purchases to wait and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

That’s a bargain for craughwell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Property market has been dysfunctional in Ireland for 30 years. Choking supply sends price forever upwards as do falling % rates as does QE,

All 3 factors appear to be going in reverse

There is a difference between fair value and current market price

• Advertisement

Which bid will a seller/developer accept, what you consider “fair value” or “market rate”?

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I wonder about this new fancy tool. Correct me if I am wrong but is this tool just a smaller scale money printing press that prints money to buy Italy's bonds in order to keep them from getting to an interest rate in which their are officially unable to pay their interest on their debt and therefore in default. Printing more money and increasing interest rates in order to control inflation it sounds like a completely broken system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Fair value in any economic context is quite literally market rate

Cool, yes I will keep you posted as I drive that road every second day. If they are bought at them prices then the buyers need there head examined. And that's not an exaggeration. My wife's family are from the area and are baffled why someone in their right mind would pay even 500k for a house in the area let alone 700k+. Oranmore is close to Galway city, Craughwell is not close. When paying them kind of prices for that kind of house (neighbours near, not much privacy etc) the furthest from the city you would want to be is Oranmore. I get people may want to live in the country but these are not country houses if you get me. A country house is when you have lots of space, loads of privacy etc. These are urban houses in a country village for urban prices......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The value of that house is what someone is willing to pay for it. It’s that simple.

The value of any house is what someone is willing to pay for it - this is fairly basic stuff. To date, nobody has paid for those houses, that is just an asking price.

It is perfectly valid to criticise that asking price as at that price point there would be very little interest, given the same price point could buy similar standard house in a much more desirable area (Oranmore/Galway City suburbs).

Your devils advocate approach of "oh well its not a rip off because someone might pay for it" adds nothing to the debate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No I mean in general, every one of your posts on boards are contrary.

Anyway, if you've no idea about the location your opinion is useless.

Thats my point, as the houses are as yet unpaid for, how do you know whether there will be interest or if they are overpriced?

Anyone in their right mind from that area know that that price is absolutely nuts, bar Mary Chivers pub there not much else in craughwell, as someone said in an earlier post most people that want to live there are from that surrounding area.

Do you think market rate economics apply only to one area?

Why do we all buy certain types and brands of cars even though we can get cheaper cars that will to the same thing? Personal choice, and we all view things differently. Few commodities have emotional attachments like property, we all look for different things and place different values on them. But one economic reality stands, your value may not be the same as everyone else’s and the one that matters most is what the buyer is willing to pay. That is the market value, that isnt contrary, it is reality. If you disagree with that, so be it, but the PPR reflects the selling price, not what you think it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Advertisement

Taoiseach committed to phasing out this project and actively sink 450 million into it, they are jokers and still nothing of substance done about the cuckoo funds either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I did not say what it's worth. I've been monitoring Kildare/ Wicklow for nearly three years with a view to buying.

A three bed bungalow in Naas with that garden would have been in the region of €500k pre covid19 I'd guess. This is a discussion forum and I'm noting the direction of travel, a direction which is far from ideal for me. Myhome now 14,728 and ECB on the rise, I'm personally hoping prices won't keep rising and a house matching our criteria appears.

Your observation that something is worth what people will pay for it, is not something of which I'm unaware. Indeed, I believe it is similar to what children learn in playschool at the pretend shop. There's no need to communicate that observation to me again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The interest rate is usually subject to change right up until drawdown. Although it really depends what bank you are with regarding what will happen in reality. PTSB have signalled that they will absorb the initial two rounds of rate rises (which were expected to be .25% on each occasion). Most of the mainstream banks have indicated similar - i.e. trying to shield their 'green mortgages' from initial rate rises and so on in an attempt to make themselves competitive against new entrants.

The newer entrants to the markets like Avant will probably have less scope to absorb the initial round of rises given their initial low offerings. Higher interest rates also favour mainstream banks as Irish customers have massive deposits, negative interest rates have been damaging for their business. As rates rise it will alleviate the deposit conundrum.

You'll probably see the mainstream banks clawback mortgage business on the back of these rate rises.

PTSB committed today that will not pass on this rate hike to variable and fixed rate mortgage holders. I’m sure AIB and BOI will follow. Of course we are way above the average mortgage rate across the EU anyway, and so it’s right that they do not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

No it won't - thats why I posted it. The pricing is totally out of whack for the whole Craughwell area. The most expensive house @ €700k is asking nearly €200k (or 40%) above the highest sale price acheived in the area (€510k)

If you have €650-700k and want to be relatively close to Galway city your not going to spend it in Craughwell. Your going to look at Oranmore, Clarinbridge, Kilcolgan.

Its either pure greed (in which case expect a serious discount) or else someone got their numbers seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

They won't pass on this one. But they might the next one and the one after that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

those are 0.3 acre sites. Normally these houses would be 6-10/acre. As well its a small development of four houses. Generally builders and auctioneers have a fair idea of what will wear price wise. There is a train station in craughwell.

Slava Ukrainii

If greed is asking the highest price someone will pay, negligence is asking below it. When you are selling your house, which would you prefer to be, greedy or negligent?

Before you answer, if you say who want the highest price you can get, people will understand, if you say you will sell for a fair price below that, I’m afraid people will think you are stupid as it less money than you can get for the largest, most important asset you will probably ever sell.

Now none of us know yet whether that pricing is realistic or stupid, the market will answer that, but you can answer which one you would accept.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Well they cant pass it on to fixed rate customers. Unless they mean they still wont change the current fixed rates for future customers.

But we are looking at 0.5% rises every 2 months untill inflation comes down. So they will eventually pass ot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Dude, everyone understands the point you're making. repeating it ad infinitum isn't adding anything to the conversation.

Your hypothetical above is ridiculous anyway, as these homes are not being sold by home-owners who will then need to operate in the same market. If you (still) don't understand why people want to discuss the prices set for these properties, in the specific context of these properties, then you never will.

Advertisement