Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FairPOV

What are you going to do when you win the RWC next year…. Full it with Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

N.Z fans and media are up in arms over the series. You'd swear they have a right to be the best. It's sport! Like every sport, there's purple patches and lows. Look at Barca or Man U! Like every other generation, there's bound to be teams improving and evolving, it's natural.

We piss n moan ourselves and so do most nations. I would not say that Ireland are brilliant. I'd say that N.Z are average and we're going to learn more next month. Sports are competitive and there's nothing guaranteed. Referees are poor (imo) and results could vary on the appointment of a referee.

The idea that the Porter incident decided the series is just rugby. If the decision had gone the other way, maybe the result changes. Maybe not! Over 3 test matches, Ireland were clearly the better team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

As long as there is an incentive to tackle high (prevent offload, strip the ball, hold the ball carrier up) , there are going to be red cards. I'd imagine that the number of upright tackles that end in a red card is a tiny fraction of tackles that end in another way.

@Dubinusa….Ireland were clearly the better team in the first test after being thrashed by 42 points????

‘Best over three tests’ doesn’t mean ‘best in all three tests’. Fact is Ireland, over the series, player more of the better rugby and deserved to win, as acknowledged by NZ commentators after the third test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For all but the ~20 minutes or so when NZ scored 4 tries , yes.

NZ won the game from a brilliant purple patch , not by dominating the game end to end and all credit to them for that - It was enough to win the game that day and is enough to win games against all but the very best teams.

But at no stage over the three games did New Zealand exert any real "control" over the game in terms of possession or territory, whereas Ireland did for long periods of the 1st test and for almost all of the other 2 games.

Ireland learned from their mistakes , adjusted their defensive system and prevented NZ getting those same opportunities again.

NZ didn't adjust to Ireland at all over the 3 games and that's down to poor preparation and an apparent lack of autonomy from the players who should be experienced enough to make changes on the fly during games,

Yes! Possession, territory and time spent in opposition 22. Ireland had a very poor spell in 1 test!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Again, facts make a good starting point for an argument.

New Zealand won by 23 points, not 42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

That's not what I'm seeing from NZ fans and media. They're more disappointed with the coaching and players, while praising how Ireland played.

How often do NZ dominate games these days? They almost always have purple patches, and score from broken play.

Ireland can absolutely dominate NZ and only win by 10 points, if NZ dominate a game they will end up winning to 20-30. I don't think things have changed much in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think that's fair , New Zealand remain a team capable of scoring 25/30 points in very short order if a team gives them loose ball etc.

Ireland have never really been that kind of team.

However there are now several teams that are capable of ensuring that NZ don't get that loose ball in games.

Yes there are… this is the first time the northern hemisphere has dominated world rugby…about time… how long has it been? 150 years? The six nations has now well and truly over taken the rugby championship as the bench mark of world rugby… if South Africa and Japan join it and possibly Argentina… Nz and Australia will be left with just the South Pacific islands as competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Your reading / understanding skills need improving. No one said that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

South Africa will almost certainly join the 6 nations in the next few years, but Argentina unless they base themselves in Spain or something, I can't see them joining.

Japan have no business joining the 6 nations, South Africa and Argentina are at least in a near enough time zone, Japan are 9 hours out from UTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I can't believe people are taking these posts seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It wasn't the exact same. Completely different dynamics.

Would I have complained if it was red? Slight grumble, but not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Barnes didn’t make the decision. A team of four officials did. Including the TMO from the previous test. Also the citing committee agreed with them. Considering your observational skills with what’s being posted. I would have more faith in what they saw in the difference than you to be honest.

It's been a tough few years for N.Z. 1st England dominate them and send them packing at the world cup. Then last year's record! Which I thought was damn good but, others thought was poor and now a series lost at home. N.Z welcome to our world!

For me, the loss in the RWC wasn't too surprising. England are always tough to beat. It's more annoying that South Africa went on to win it. NZ easily beat them in the pools and probably would have had their number in the final.

Rumour is that Foster is to hold on to the top job with the all blacks, but his coaching staff are to go, and Cane to lose captaincy. Schmidt to join the coaching team as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Schmidt going in as a DOR or as an assistant coach according to the rumors?

• Advertisement

I agree South Africa had the easy route by playing two of the weakest teams to reach the final: Japan and Wales and avoided two of the toughest teams: Ireland and England. By the time they played England in the final they were just warming up and England were totally f****d after playing the best game they have ever played beating us in the semi. Then they make a film about what legends they are because they won the RWC… too funny.

Well it turns out none of the rumours were true, and the All Blacks are to continue as they were.

Schmidt has come in as a selector, but has a secondary role analysing the opposition and assisting with strategy. He's not part of the coaching setup, though.

It seems from Foster's press conference that he left the door open to still potentially removing Brad Mooar (the attack coach), Scott McLeod (defence) and Greg Feek (scrum). He supposedly namechecked Plumtree specifically as helping him select the squad, so reports I read considered it unlikely Plumtree would be chopped.

Surprised at the lack of changes in the squad, only two changes bringing in Ethan de Groot and Shannon Frizell. Only two players dropped out, Karl Tu'inukuafe and Pita Gus Sowakula. Retallick still there despite supposedly being out for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That will be the case sometimes, and I’ve already acknowledged you can’t remove this stuff from the game entirely. However there are loads of cases where tacklers can get lower and don’t.

Not it wasn’t. In the second the tackler was moving forward into the tackle. That meant he brought his own momentum and therefore his own force into the collision. Porter didn’t. It’s a pretty fundamental difference in terms of impact and levels of danger. If you ran directly into a parked car you wouldn’t be hurt as badly as if you ran directly into a car that was driving towards you.

There isn’t a red card problem. There’s a player behaviour problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Makes sense dropping Big Karl as he's off to France (Montpelier I think). I was surprised he was in the squad for the Irish matches. Frizell is a good call. Was surprised Sowakula was there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Selecting Shannon Frizell and Sevu Reece for the SA tour is certainly a choice.

No dickheads allowed apparently.

You clearly don't understand what that means, although based on your comment you do understand what one is.

• Advertisement

Yeah, on a pure rugby level I get the Shannon Frizzell selection, he looks to be the profile of 6 they're badly missing at the moment.

Was he not selected for the series against us because of the controversy last year or on a pure rugby reason?

Who else unlucky to miss out? Cullen Grace seems the name most frequently mentioned, but thought Tom Robinson looked excellent in Super Rugby. It looks like they're going a different direction behind Aaron Smith at 9 and backing the development of Christie and Fakatava, which makes sense.

Advertisement