Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

Nice one. Have goodwe 2500xs myself and can pull most data direct from it using home assistant. Very handy for setting fan to kick on when it reads the goodwe inverter temp getting advice 40c as well as for monitoring.

Is there much more data available by using the homekit as opposed to pulling direct through ha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

So my inverter is not Goodwe, the installer uses SAJ. I'm getting access to it but it seems it doesn't offer free cloud based monitoring, so the installer adds uses the goodwe homekit for that instead, its just a power measurement unit.

I tried the goodwe integrations which talk direct to the inverters but they don't want to talk direct to the homekit. I guess they are quite different pieces of kit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You've got two options for charging from grid;

1) Leave the charge period/current set all the time, and toggle the 'run' mode (bit1) in register 43110.

2) Leave inverter in 'run' mode all the time, and change the charge periods when you need to charge, and revert to 00:00-00:00 when you want to disable.

Both are configurable via Modbus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I have it permanently on a 0A charge from 2-5am, which means that grid is currently used regardless of the car charging.

I'd be happy with figuring out how to toggle it on and off in HA so it has the 0A charge only if the car is plugged in. I can handle the car part of the equation in the automation. Long term probably want to get into enabling battery charging during winter based on forecasted generation but I need to get more comfortable with this stuff first.

I've disabled the setting on the inverter and checked again - it's returning 49. So it is 49 off, 51 on for mine (at least in current config).

I've tried using the AppDaemon method posted earlier in the thread but it's not working. Boards won't let me post the log file, something about hacking the site 🤣 I've put it here - https://pastebin.com/KEPwWwuY

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

DM me with your log file, screenshot of your file structure under the appdaemon folder, and I'll take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

I just got my solar installed last week and also got a SAJ inverter. I thought I would be able to monitor my generation, consumption and amount I sell back to the grid but cant do that with eSolar Air app, only generation. Just looking at the Goodwe Homekit, is this installed at the smart meter end and the inverter end? By looking at pictures I presume an electrician would need to install it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah it has to be hooked up by an electrician as its on the fusebox. There are other options such as shelly 3em, the goodwe is what my installer uses.

From your logs, it looks like your "inverter" app isn't loading, or at least it can't be called from ActionReceiver.

Did you modify anything in inverter.py? maybe when you set your own Inverter IP or Inverter Serial, put some bad formatting in so that the file is no longer valid python?

If you post a screenshot of the top 20 or so lines of code in your inverter.py, I can take a look.

Also, if you look in the "state" section of the AppDeamon UI, I'd guess it shows "Inverter" as not running (i.e. not "idle"). See mine below: all apps should be idle. In your case you should have "ActionReceiver" and "Inverter" as idle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I have some lighting/blind automations in HA triggered by sunrise/sunset. This generally works okay, but on cloudy days, it can leave the rooms a little bit dark until the sun sets. The issue isn't a big enough deal to warrant an outdoor Lux sensor, but I'm wondering if anyone has any clever existing solutions to this?

There is an existing HA illuminance integration which pulls in local weather information to provide a Lux estimate. I don't have a personal weather station, so it would be using OpenWeatherMap (or similar) which can be a bit hit or miss.

Has anyone done anything more localised using Solar PV panels to estimate Lux? Perhaps correlating string voltage to Lux?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭championc

I looked at my generation today, and it hit zero pretty much an hour before sunset. Since today was dullish, I'm,m immediately thinking that the trigger for me for a sunset light might be solar hits zero +30 mins.

That would be a decent starting point anyway. I must remember to look at the clock and brightness around 21:10 tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

I should have mentioned that my array is south facing rather than west facing (which I imagine would have made things easier). I was hoping to avoid having to use fixed offsets (x +30mins etc), as these will change throughout the year.

See example from tonight. Panels stopped generating at 20:38, voltage dropped down to circa 75V at this time, before dropping to 0V at 22:37. Sunset at 21:44, dusk at 22:25.

It's a fixed offset, but based on a variable starting point. So if we had a solar eclipse during the afternoon, it should still work fine I would have thought.

It's interesting that my cease of generation is very close to your time, and obviously our sunset times are broadly similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I have a bunch of these https://esphome.io/cookbook/bruh.html around the house for the lux sensor to turn on a bunch of lights.

Pretty easy to add it outside as long as it is protected from the elements or just use it inside for the same.

Thanks for this. I was away and back now so got to have a look into it again. Inverter is showing as terminated in AppDaemon. Here's a screenshot of inverter.py. I only changed the serial & IP.

EDIT: I restarted AppDaemon and it's coming back with compile_error for Inverter.

Post edited by silver_sky on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Waiting for an install in the next few weeks.

Solis hybrid inverter + eddi + battery.

I'm wondering, if I want to also monitor my whole home usage do I need to get some more CT clamps like the Shelley or should the solis/eddi system give me all I need?

Would like to have them lined up if I need them in the hopes the installer will add.

Both Solis Hybrid and MyEnergi will give you whole house usage. Something like a Shelly will allow you to monitor individual circuits.

I use a combination of the myenergi and solis data to get a more accurate picture. I found the import+export from the solis isn't accurate but the myenergi one is close enough (when comparing to the smart meter). Solis provides generation data and myenergi the import and export - put it together in homeassistant. :)

Have a look in the "error_log" in the AppDaemon UI, after an AD restart. It will show the reason why the Inverter app won't start. Post the log here and I can look too.

At a guess... if inverter.py hasn't changed at all (except for IP/Serial), then maybe its something that it depends on, like finding pysolarmanv5. Have you got "pysolarmanv5.py" in a folder called "utils", like it is in the zip file? Can you send a screenshot of your folder structure.

Got it, thank you. It turns out umodbus wasn't actually installed. I guess I must have missed the save when I originally went through the setup. It's working now and I was able to change the setting.

Whey hey, I see that Seplos BMS cell monitoring has landed - https://github.com/byte4geek/SEPLOS_MQTT

• Advertisement

As I mentioned I was able to change the "Optimal Income" setting in Time of Use for Self Use on the Solis via homeassistant. All good I thought... until I checked the report for last night and it turned itself on at 2am and off at 5am!

My charge time is set for 02:00-05:00 with a charge limit of 0A, however, it was off. As you can see 0x31 which is 49.

It flipped to 0x33 (51) at exactly 2AM. It was running from grid (and partially battery due to a discharge bug) during this time.

EDIT: I looked at my automation which was based on the "Boosting" state of the Zappi and it turns out that it enters this state even without the car plugged in. 🤣

In case anyone else is doing this, what I missed in my automation was to have a condition for Plug Status. I'm glad it does seem to work otherwise though! I've amended the automation and added the plug status which in my case appears as "Charging" while the status is Boosting during a boost or scheduled charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Random one, and outside the scope of automation but I have setup an alarm in HASS for it. My Solis inverter started doing a 'LimitByFrq' message earlier on. 2nd time that it's done this. During that time, the DC power output drops to 200-340w until the inverter operating status is toggled from OFF to ON.

Is this the AC or DC frequency it's complaining about?

Grafana data below. Blue dotted line indicates the time when the PV output started to flat line on me.

LimByFreq: Inverter power limited by over grid frequency

Definitely an AC issue. Can you add the AC output voltage and grid voltage to your graphs?

Thanks @Jonathan. I don't think I have those feeding into Grafana at present. I'm in the process of migrating all the metrics to a new container host so it's all a bit of a mess at the moment.

Anything you'd recommend to monitor in particular, be it a formula or just a state value?

I think I can get this from the Solis plant monitor on m.ginlong.com

Nothing odd standing out for me on the AC side there. Frequency and voltage look within normal ranges. Maybe someone can chime in if they can spot what I'm missing.

Other possibility is that because you are only polling every 5 mins, something did occur but it is being averaged out in the graphs.

That was my thinking alright. The 5 minute polling is terrible for it. Pity I don’t have more data. Will try get more set up in case it happens again. Two neighbors have solar PV with Solis inverters also. I don’t think they were affected.

Generation low and had to pull a fair bit from the battery yesterday for some clothes washing, so I set about an automation to charge during my 2-5am cheap rate. At 2am it set the timed charge on, adjusted the amps to 50A, and set it to charge until the battery SOC was above 79% (i.e. hit 80%), then set amps back to 0A, and switched off the timed charge. It worked as planned and charged until about 3.15 where it hit the 80%. Well impressed! Thanks again for all the help.

Next thing on the list is figuring out how I want to determine when to fill it from the grid. I have some ideas on how but will see.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Latest automation, a lazy man's eddi 😆.£20.

(Don't worry it's rated for 4400w)

I have solar tubes so on the dull days we only need a little boost with the immersion.

Have it connected to HA, and set my first HA up, if tank top is less than 50c, and it's between 12 and 3pm turn in the immersion.

If tank gets to 65c, and the immersion is on, turn it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

That's clever and stops arguments about hot water running out. The makers of the Eddi are shaking on their boots now :)

Advertisement