Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is up with America?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

American society and politics is in the gutter. Look at the last and present president an absolute farce. They desperately need some kind of new political movement for ordinary people because the democrats and republicans are never going to not bend over for the big money corporations and wall street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭yagan

I can't see any resolution in the short to medium term except more friction.

I have to keep reminding myself that I was shocked at the time of the insurrection because in retrospect the crazy was already deeply intrenched, only unified and turbo charged under Trump.

It's still not clear what unified cause Trump supporters have without him. Obviously the gun nuts and racists are always in siege mode, but beyond that what will they fight for. If all the immigrants went home tomorrow would they all be happy?

It just seems that the USA has a bonfire of army grade weapons in civic hands and their only cause is to have a war for wars sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

And that does not answer the Question. British Empire banned slavery and enforced the ban. Again it's still going on in Africa and the ME China.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,397 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

China's dynasties also experienced collapses

Slaves aren't great for keeping an empire.

• Advertisement

I asked if there has been a country in human civilization, Not a Lesson on Empires. Very simple We know why there has not been an Answer.

Because there aren't a great number of historians on the forum probably who could speak intelligently about all the sovereign and historical nations of the world to possibly answer such a vague and wide reaching question.

Perhaps you should perform a survey with actual academic and intellectual riguor and report back with evidence that each and every country has evidence of being built (inadvertently or deliberately, I hope you would categorize) upon the back of slave labor.

Now a Q from me: are you insinuating that slavery is great craic and we should be founding nations on slaves 'because everyone is doing it?'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Increasingly though , the US isn't really a "country" as we might traditionally think about it. It's a collection of States that increasingly hate each other.

The polarisation of Red vs. Blue and Urban vs. Rural is enormous and only growing.

There is a very real chance of some form of "Balkanization" in the US - I know that people in Texas bring up secession with regularity and it might yet come to that.

But what is already happening and will likely accelerate after the Roe v Wade decision is a significant differentiation in the "law of the land".

You are going to have a situation where simply driving a few miles down the road might mean the difference between your actions being perfectly legal or subject to life imprisonment.

That's not a "country" anymore.

How would I be insinuating anything I said the British Empire banned it. If I supported it I probably would not have said that would I. And it is a simple question based on human nature and the fact we know its been rampant in the past. And still going on in Africa ME, China, India, Pakistan Could go on.

I fail to see what that has to do with this thread.

• Advertisement

"[P]erhaps when you build a nation on stolen land with stolen labor, it was never going to be a republic we could keep. So let’s talk about the possible fall of democracy and what, if anything, can be done to keep it"

Still not getting it sorry.

The country was an expansionary wing of the british empire, stolen land build on stolen labor.

The empire that gave the world the American colonies, collapsed.

With slavery:

Without slavery:

It did not collapse due to the lack of slavery it was already banned towards the end. WW2 Was the Issue. Were not mentioning all the other Empires that went to the Americas.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that a few years after abolishing slavery colonies like Canada etc. started demanding Independence. No, slavery wasn't holding that empire together at all.

I love how Brits chest thump about abolishing the slave trade (although slavery continued on in several colonies and rights restrictions in most meant a subservient legal position to British extraterritoriality). They were still paying compensation to the descendants of plantation owners up until recent decades!!

Back to the US though and it's hard not to see that slavery continued on indirectly after the civil war via Jim Crow laws.

Anyway the modern threat to the US is the fact that there are 90 guns in civilian ownership for every citizen, but that's just registered sales. Then there's the unregistered ghost guns that are increasingly popping up in mass murders. The true estimate is probably well over one gun per US citizen.

It is literally a civilian arms race and even though the US military has far more advance weaponry it is designed mainly for foreign strategic deployment and not much good in asymmetric street level domestic warfare. Added to that a lot of militias are made up of ex military so in the instance of a state rebellion there would be extreme tensions within the national militia to intercede and it may force other states to rebel too.

The Durham Report (not the Trump-era Durham Report) was published a few years after the abolition. Over the years what followed was the push for home rule across the empire.

1982 is the year Canada was successful in its bid for independence, it is far from the year the bid began.

He devotes a chapter of the report to the issue of Slavery and how it imposed negro freedom on the colonies (Durham was an abolitionist from the context), coupled with sparking the notion that the colonies can indeed self-govern themselves:

SNIPPED - HTML crash

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Anyway the modern threat to the US is the fact that there are 90 guns in civilian ownership for every citizen, but that's just registered sales. Then there's the unregistered ghost guns that are increasingly popping up in mass murders. The true estimate is probably well over one gun per US citizen.

Where in the name of Jaysus are you getting the 90 guns in civilian ownership for every citizen. Lets do the math as they say over there in the US. There's about 330,000,000 people in the US. Are you seriously suggesting that there's 330,000,000 x 90 = 29,700,000,000 guns in the US. Not a chance.

What is true is that there are more guns than people. That much is acknowledged. Estimates put it between 400,000,000 and 500,000,000 guns civilian ownership in the US.

Law enforcement are estimated to have a little over 1,000,000 guns.

Source: https://www.smallarmssurvey.org/sites/default/files/resources/SAS-BP-Law-Enforcement-Firearms-Numbers.pdf

US military are estimated to have approximately 4,500,000 guns.

Source: https://apnews.com/article/government-and-politics-business-gun-politics-crime-6caba27108d05a8b7c1860959d1ae130

So, back of an envelope calculations there is a little over 505,500 guns in the US. That's not even 2 guns per citizen. Yeah, it's still a lot, but it's a long way off 90 guns per person as claimed.

It is a very divisive population though with lots of tensions bubbling away under the surface with the occasional problem breaching that surface. I wouldn't like to live there although it must be said that there are some very nice areas with very nice people.

• Advertisement

Thank you, my mistake. I meant to write 90 guns per 100 citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

All my life, there's trouble in America

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They have weirdos who believe in Qanon running for election , the Democrats need a new candidate for the next election, Biden is too old. Basic laws to protect the environment are being stopped , Biden seems to have run out of steam Re bringing in green energy programs even though they can print money. In terms of money America is doing OK, the dollar is strong. The basic laws to protect people are not being passed, outlaw military type weapons, pass red flag laws. There seems to be a shooting every 2 to 3 days. The American political system is biased , big company's pay off Politicans to pass laws to reduce competition and allow them to destroy the environment. Right now texas has to shutdown crypto coin mining. They are using 99 per cent of the energy they generate. Rents are going up, there's a great shortage of housing for ordinary workers. Who earn less than 80k gen z is really getting screwed.

The republicans are trying to pass laws as soon they can that make abortion illegal even in case of rape, threat to the mothers life. Its a divided country, between white maga extremists and

Democrats who respect minoritys and women's rights . A nation that does not respect women's rights in 2022 is going in the wrong direction. The supreme Court is just waiting to take away gay marriage and lgbt rights and maybe even the right to buy an iud. If you look at how much truck drivers and other trades get paid its no wonder there s a shortage of workers

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boardsie12

I work with a lot of Americans and I can confirm almost everything that you mentioned, not all Americans are on the same level, but more are, from my own experiences.

The ones that I work with and that I got to know very well over the past while are all egotistic and they don't want to or refuse to be compared to non-Americans. They live in this inflated bubble and think that they are more superior than everyone else, and as a result, they don't, or refuse to put in any type of effort when it comes to anything else, you can ask them anything about any current crisis around the world and they wouldn't know or want to know, ask them any general knowledge questions and they won't know, for the more part, look at CNN, for example, they rarely cover news from any other country unless it's some catastrophe, war, natural disaster and so on....

I think it's to do with the last few generations, growing up, thinking they're the best and above other countries when it comes to a lot of things, in reality, their own ignorance and unwillingness to learn about other cultures and traditions, has dragged them down to a different level and impacted their everyday decisions and routine and their education system, which I've heard is underfunded and neglected for the most part.

I've been astonished chatting and getting to know my co-workers over the past few years and it's obvious that this is a recurring thing, I worry about their children and their children's children even more.

Growing up, thinking you're the best, and comparing yourself to other countries is a huge negative, I'm fairly sure that Asia and the Middle East will be the new spots around the globe for influences and guidance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Oh, there was one other news article of note which came over the radio that day I was driving around, which I forgot to mention. The FAA was threatening to withhold millions of dollars in funding for San Jose airport unless they cleared out the homeless encampment under the airport's flight path. The FAA requires some open space for safety for aircraft which suffer failure on final approach or departure. A forced landing would kill people on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

America produces media, TV, films, podcasts more than any other country and its mostly in English , there's fox news and CNN, msnbc, and 100s of TV stations ,

They have more influence on global culture than India China or the EU the right to free speech is

guaranteed by the constitution. There's no general medical health care, most people rely on heathcare insurance provided by their employers. The states, Texas etc with the fastest growing population are facing, drought, forest fires, extreme heat, falling levels of water. Many city's have rising crime and a serious homeless problem. Many company's can't get workers, even the US army is struggling to recruit soldiers, inflation rising energy costs is a major problem it turns out fit young people have more options Re careers than joining the army

One example fertisers that farmers use are now 700 per ton versus 140 dollars a ton 3 years ago this effects the cost of basic products bread wheat etc

I think the General situation in America will get worse unless they take serious steps to tackle climate change and it seems to get worse every year in terms of extreme heat drought low levels of water I think experts will look at 2019 as the peak of Americas power and influence before the pandemic happened

There's so much going on the war in Ukraine high oil prices sanctions on Russian imports I think it will be very difficult to control inflation without causing a recession

even the big tech company's are stopping taking on new workers due to falls in advertising demand

Of course many Americans never travel outside the US so they presume they are still the best

Advertisement