Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB going cashless around Kerry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,780 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

AIB have been sportswashing for decades, long before the Saudis came to it. How were they able to sponsor GAA while nationalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Coming home for a few weeks finally. Just transferred money to my account in Ireland. aparently now I will not have an ATM to withdraw cash. I also have some business to do, this will be in cash, so it’s now an hours drive to lodge that in a bank.

i will have credit cards but no ability to transact in credit cards while there. Many tourists like me rely on ATMs to withdraw.

cashless society is great. If you trust those who look after your money and the technology behind it. When it fails or the internet fails, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I've got some breaking news folks, physical banks and post offices are all going to close down in the next decade while the Healy Raes and their ilk are shaking their fists at clouds.

A bit like cassettes, turning into CDs and inturn being phased out by digital, financial institutions are going online. It is happening in phases but it is happening. Adapt or be left behind lamenting the days when you carried notes that some lad used the previous weekend to snort coke off a toilet cistern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Not really. Mainly when internet is as vulnerable as it is. I have no doubt there is a push to implement some sort of cashless society however if you take cash out of equation people will adapt and use something else. Call it crypto, physical, scrip, IOU's.... There will always be a need to transact privately. Not necessarily for nefarious purposes. Some people do not want others to know what they do with their cash or time.

I think that  "It is not that I have something to hide... I've got nothing I want You to see" pretty much sums it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

No, you use an ATM like everyone else. Do you queue in your branch to withdraw €20 too? Banks have opening hours as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Newsflash, Johnny doesn't want the card, he wants the money. Save yourself the 2 or 3 quid on the card, the 50c cash withdrawal fee, and send a free transfer on Revolut.

Also who gives 50 quid to a 4 year old? They wouldn't know what to do with it. Revolut the parent and they can take them to the toy shop to spend it.

Yes every ATM in the entire country was removed overnight and cash no longer exists.

Are you for real?

I'm starting to understand how the Healy Raes get elected in Kerry if this is the level of intellect on display in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

AIB 'backing' sustainability by telling customers to use their cash-handling branch maybe 50 or 60 km away...green issues are grand as long as they don't cost AIB anything.

https://aib.ie/sustainability

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Even if you did lose your phone, by the time someone would have broken past the security features you will have swapped

Even if not, you contact the fraud department of the bank and you will be covered.

Unless you hand over your phone, enter in the codes, then provide the second code while they transfer the money over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Today, you don't have to carry your phone everywhere. I don't unless I know I'll need to be contacted. If I think I might need a few euros, just stick them in a pocket and I'm grand. Even squirrel some away in the car in case of a breakdown.

But now, i'll need the phone any time I need to spend cash. No thanks. Oh, if I lose my phone, how do I contact the bank about my account? And do they need to send me a secure text to verify it? 🤣

• Advertisement

So if you lose your mobile you don't know how to contact your bank? if you can't work that one out I am not sure it is safe for you to have a phone now

I guess you think the last part was funny but maybe not. Just to confirm they would not need to 👍️

This thread is full of people looking for problems instead of solutions. No innovation or outside the box thinking. Same people probably gave out about dirty cash during the height of covid.

People used to barter, used to regularly use cheques, travellers cheques, and these have been replaced over time. Same for cash.

The argument about cash for small or local business is nonsense too, why would a business want to handle cash when it is heavy, dirty, costly and can be stolen? The only answer to that is to keep it away from Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 qba73

It looks to me like a part of the WEF plan to eradicate cash and move entirely to electronic transactions... it's all about control, and it is happening across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, what benefit is there from doing this versus the cost of doing so to customers? The world actually doesn't revolve around AIB's desires, in case that's not clear.

The solution is simple - retain the ATM's and cash services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The bottom line is that the banks simply dont give a shite about the majority of their customers, they are only interested in those that they can extract the most amount of interest out of through loans and credit cards.

The average Joe soap current account is only a waste of their resources and if we all closed those accounts with them they would be delighted.

We used to have 2 banks in our small town, now we have none, the world didnt fall apart but it was quiet an inconvenience to have to travel to do some basic banking transactions.

The people in the areas affected by AIBs decision can simply do their cash banking in the local PO, the PO is open longer 5 and a half days and 9-5.30, sure you may have to queue but you have to queue in the bank as well. If there are no ATMs in the towns presently id be very suprised if one of the local shops didnt step into the breach.

Personally I think its a **** but not suprising decision by the bank, they simply dont care or fell that they owe society anything despite society bailing them out.

Go into and support your local PO because if that goes then your locality will be really screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

How is a building full of cash requiring sophisticated security systems more secure than the Internet? ATMs have been pulled out of walls by gangs on a regular basis. The likes of Revolut has shown bricks and mortar banks that for the majority of their customers an online presence meets their needs. Thats where they've been investing heavily for the past decade. I cant really get my head around AIBs plans surprising people. Its been the natural progression ever since they started offering services online

I do a bit of buy & selling via donedeal/adverts....anything from 5 euro up to 16k a few months ago....

Not anyone talking about carrying around cash to visit a stranger in a car park etc is totally crazy in this day & age. Revolut and if they don't like it tough!!!

A number of people have been unaware of it and after I explained they all signed up...so much easier and safer for evryone

Plenty of options available:

ATMs will still be available across the country.

Cash transactions can be carried out at post offices across the country.

Change from AIB to BoI or PTSB (but they will follow suit, AIB are just first out of the blocks).

Pay more bank charges to AIB (but the majority whinge about paying a few euro per month then wonder why their local branch gets closed).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You failed to register that AIB is taking out ATM's too. And let me not go in details like why it is not wise to use non AIB ATM's with AIB card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Please tell us why it's not wise to use non AIB ATMs with an AIB card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Many Rural towns ATM would be very busy over weekends as many people from that town and surrounding towns use it. The local spar or whatever would not have that volume of cash in their ATM it to service this demand .

If you are in Dingle , Kenmare or other tourist towns you can quadruple what cash is drawn out of ATMs.It will have a major impact on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I suspect that those, including politicians and bankers, advising that post offices will provide cash services have very rarely been in a post office in their lives.

Leaving aside that the airhead who runs An Post oversaw the closure of many post offices, typically these days you join a queue. That queue consists of people wanting to buy a stamp, people collecting their social, someone looking for some obscure government form and who needs help to fill it in, people with armfuls of parcels, people who want to have a chat with Mary or Tommy behind the counter and on and on. There's often only one or maybe two windows open and the queue crawls along.

Great for community gossip and so on and if you've little or no productive work to get on with. Otherwise an exercise in frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Is it any wonder the Banks are pulling out and reducing services when so many people use Revolut a Lithuanian Bank to avoid paying fees at their local bank?

Will Revolut will put in ATMS for free as well??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes when you make such a claim you most definitely do need to back it with factual details other wise we just assume you are blowing smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Please elaborate. I do it all the time. No issues, no fuss. What should I be aware of?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So how much are you willing to pay for the service then, how about 2 to 5 Euro a pop? Because that’s what it comes down to in the end. The service is unprofitable and expecting a bank or the taxpayers to carry the cost is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I think An Post are going to take advantage of AIB's lack of foresight and people will move their accounts.

I'm impressed with An Post over the last few years, especially their delivery service.

If An Post have ATMs it'll gather momentum. Us rural people love our cash, especially when it's good for buying from farmer's markets, local take aways, and a cafe serving traditional breakfast, lunch and dinners.

The conspiracy theorists were on about this happening last year, and they were laughed at.

As they say the difference between a conspiracy theory and the truth is a few months these days.

Just when you think some of the ignorant comments in this thread can't get worse, we have someone who thinks it's not wise to use an AIB card in a non AIB ATM 🤣

Do you not think that cash requirement and demand on the ATM will reduce when more shops and suppliers move to accepting card payments?

• Advertisement

If you want to be more productive in your work make the move to bank transfers/Revolut/sumup etc, your mind will be blown at the speed and convenience, and you get to avoid the busy post office. Win win.

Advertisement