Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I only started playing D&D 3 years ago, still on my first game as we only play for a few hours a month since covid. I'm liking the look of it. I see it's already taking liberties (Druid/Owlbear) but I don't care, I'm not that hung up on the rules and it always depends on how sound your DM is anyway. It looks to have the right amount of tongue in cheek kinda approach. I'm really looking forward to seeing some live action versions of what we've encountered in our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Never played it (years and years ago I tried). So the D&D fans can disregard if they want but that looks like a bit of throw away fun. Not gonna change the world but it looks like a bit of a goof. I like that they are not going with faux "What lies yonder" type vaguely European/British accents.

I also think Hugh Grant is hilarious when he (intentionally) hams it up. (Paddington 2 for example)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks like fun. Kinda weird but even though D&D is an existing IP, the film looks like a new idea; maybe it's cos I never played Dungeons & Dragons (never been interested in tabletop games but they seem incredibly popular now in the IT industry for some reason), and have only vague memories of the 80s cartoon. And High Fantasy doesn't really come along very often either.

Chris Pine is definitely the Better Chris for me; handsome yet ageing well, with a more understated talent for comedy and charisma than the now vastly overexposed other Chris, Mr. Pratt. Pine seems better at playing the overconfident, goofy type without calling attention to it? His Steve Trevor just the right mix of wide-eyed naif and capability in the Wonder Woman movies; his Captain Kirk similar, charming, but also felt like someone intensely winging it. His Scottish accent in Outlaw King was also solid. Shít, do I have a man-crush on Chris Pine?

I say this 'cos there is a bang of Guardians of the Galaxy off this trailer, between the rag-tag ensemble of loveable rogues, and rock & roll needle-drops (though that may not be reflective of the final film's soundtrack of course)

but they seem incredibly popular now in the IT industry for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

That does look fun.

Nice to see a Gelatinous Cube and Displacer Beast.

Set in the Forgotten Realms, so may see a Minsc (and Boo) cameo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wouldn't have expected to enjoy a DnD trailer, but that looks pretty decent. Looks like fun, monsters and beasts look a bit interesting, and yeah, could be good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks like it could really lay into the fun of sitting around a table and having a dice screw you over ... as well as the other side of beating all the odds!

Thinking there could be some hilarious Pine moments as a bard.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Filmed in Ireland I believe

Looks fun

Wow.. sure enough.. partially Iceland but mostly Ireland from my reading of it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Honor_Among_Thieves

Principal photography commenced in Belfast, Northern Ireland

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906216/locations

Filming Locations

- Belfast, Northern Ireland

- Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland

- Iceland

- Clandeboye Estate, Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland

- Castle Ward Estate, Northern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New trailer. No question, they are realllllly gunning for that Guardians of the Galaxy energy. Which in of itself is not a bad thing, but we'll see if the final film also transplanted GotG's important X Factor.

Still looks fun 🙂

The old cartoon was fantastic. This looks like more extreme garbage for adult children.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looks atrocious, like something Uwe Boll would have made.

This is going to bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hmmm, was hoping the big bad would have been

Glasstaff

but that's mostly because he's been the overall big bad in my campaign. I know nothing of this red woman, so no expectations there. Still looks like a good popcorn film if fantasy is your thing. D&D is never fully serious anyway, at least not in any games I've played, always a layer of fun to it.

I think it looks fun. Because I know NOTHING about D&D. But I can ABSOLUTELY understand if seasoned D&D fans would be horrified by this.

I mean it looks like a total no-brainer. I don't think it will be massively successful but hey.

Plus, is that th guy they are harping on about being the next James Bond? The dryb*lls mage?

Heavy scepticism on "fantastic". Most of those old 80s cartoons are propped up by childhood nostalgia alone, 'cos they were nearly all garbage. 😁

And nothing wrong with a little "for all the family" entertainment now and again; that's not to say this looks like it, but superficial entertainment is as old as Hollywood itself.

If you mean the super-serious knight, as played by Regé-Jean Page, then yeah. He has been rumoured to be on the shortlist.

Yeah, that's the guy. Couldn't remember his name.

Yeah, this looks like "And entertaining romp"

Men have been put to death for lesser statements! Dungeons and Dragons cartoon was brilliant on all levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You just fancied Sheila. Or maybe that was me. Could partially explain liking redheads when I got older. 😏

This looks like fun but as long as it's not at the expense of the plot and the rest of the movie. in other words, as long as it's more Thor Ragnarok and less Thor Love and Thunder.

• Advertisement

Search your feelings El Rifle, you know it to be true. 80s cartoons were terrible.

And so may this film! Though it's unlikely to be as bad as the last time a Dungeons and Dragons movie was made...

Ham? My dear boy that was the whole hog.

A new trailer for this reveals the writers may have taken inspiration from a now-ancient episodes from The Simpsons for one of its gags...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Paramount has released a three minute clip - it does look fun:

It's nice to see a cameo of the original D&D cartoon characters from the earlier 80s.

Ha. Well there's the easter-egg, tip of the hat towards the 80s cartoon; though methinks that group won't live through to the set-piece's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭McFly85

I do think I’ll enjoy this. The reception it got at sxsw was pretty good considering. Seems to be an all around good time that doesn’t take itself seriously in the slightest, perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.

I think Chris Pine and Hugh Grant did some ad lib enhancing the humour from interviews I've seen, I am looking forward to it as Grant is always good as a villain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its predicted to be a flop. not least because its being released between Wick and Mario

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Surprised the budget is that high tbh but the reviews might help it a bit...

Advertisement