Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You mean Ballymullen Barracks in Tralee - as the arrival of up to 60 Ukrainian refugees is expected any day now.

The facility is now ready for operation with an initial capacity of 320

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was very enlightening but some took offence to some hard truths 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Another NGO on RTE 1 radio making us all feel guilty.

They are just not getting it, the sympathy train has left, the more they keep this up, the more foolish they look.

It's obvious the situation has gone way beyond desperatation here, they can continue to virtue signal all they like, there's no more room in the Inn, no amount of BS can change that fact.

I'd have at least liked to see some Objectivity from these NGO do gooders, a mention of the 10.5k in emergency Accommodation, the 4k already processed in DP with leave to stay, still stuck in DP because there's nowhere for them to go and perhaps address some of the outrageous Shenanigans going on, including on SM.

These NGO"s are so out of touch with public sentitment, it's actually frightening. I believe the vast majority are starting to feel ill and disgusted, not Guilty. 😉

and there are people suggesting that there should be a seamless transition to stamp 4 for Ukrainians who want to stay on in Ireland after the temporary protection period. What planet are these people living on?!?

• Advertisement

Beggar's belief, I saw that and just ignored it , utterly bizzare .

That said , I've absolutely no doubt this Government will try to pull a stunt like that and that does seriously concern me for a host of reasons , one being Government will essentially rubber stamp financially supporting and house possibly up to 60k very long term. Not even Leo and his virtue signalling, could stomach that prospect , or could he 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Worth a listen for 14 minutes - As the crisis of accommodating refugees deepens, should hotels around the country be taking more in like the government is asking? We discuss this with Lorraine Sweeney, businessperson and hotel owner, and Tim Fenn of IHF

And State is willing to pay €135 for a single adult per night to avail of hotel accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

€135 per night adds up to a phenomenal state liability. The stupidity is stultifying

Just a cursory look for a room tonight at one of the Hotels owned by Lorraine Sweeny (She and hubby have 3) €207 down from €239 .Fine hotel in Enniskery but not entirely practical unless your looking for a nice weekend or longer to explore the Garden of Ireland.

I some how Doubt €135 per night with all the hassle will appeal to many hotels at the moment, September, October yes . To her credit, Lorraine has half blocked thus hotel (separate wing) for refugees already.

If this translates for 40,000 “refugees” per year it equals just under €2 billion per annum- excluding food, extras.

That doesn’t even go to the welfare liability- as we now know very few are working as they don’t have the skills needed here. What kind of Brass idiot signed us up for this? Christ almighty

• Advertisement

Least mrs sweeney alluded to the benefits scam going on - why would they work?

Outside of major town and cities off peak €135 is very appealing I think with guaranteed occupancy

Your correct , and this particular hotel, Pre pandemic had excellent all year round occupancy. Just a quick point, I presume the €135 per night would be 2 persons and not include food, Numbers for 40k would still be staggering annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I predicted the same happening, this was never temporary.

The Ukraine was always a poor country, forgetting about safety but the quality of life here is x500 times better to what they can attain at home. Jobs, free healthcare ,free housing virtually …this was never going to be a solution that was temporary for,a lot of them and NGOs and businesses want them here for their own selfish reasons. Country is beyond screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Where are they going to put them long term????

Camps hotel rooms work in the short term, but what’s the plan long term??

This is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Huge numbers of these people will be accommodated in social housing and they 100% will be skipping the queues. They won't keep them in hotels and tents, that'll only last for a while until all the "this is inhumane" crap starts or Ohhh but the family have settled here and they have friends, their kids in school and college.

Once they get setup with a home the cost of living means nothing to them. 50 quid a week rent. Take a part-time job for each parent or one in full time and one on the dole and they live better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

We're fairly certainly heading into a recession. The corporation tax Klondike from tech giants could dry up very easily which means the old traditional industries like tourism could become very important to our prosperity. The government is destroying tourism by the day in this country, I hope the twitter likes will be worth it!

Surely politicians are getting it in the neck at this stage about this? I don't think I was talking to anyone in the last few months that's doesn't reckon this will be a disaster- nearly all of whom brought the subject up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Her last comments about the Ukranians expectations being high on arriving at hotels and won't share rooms is a joke.

Fair enough if you have a family in a room you're not going to throw in some random tom, dick or harry.

But 3 single men or 3 single women refusing to share a room with 3 beds in it is a joke.

Sorry I'll take the master suite all to myself. Good day sir.

Interesting listen. The sums- accommodation plus 3 meals a day plus benefits - are staggering. The hotelier makes it clear that hotels and tents are not an option for long. And she calls on the Irish people to ‘step up’.

presumably she means for more to open up their homes. Having just said, 5 minutes earlier, that she needed to evict three husbands from the hotel because of difficulties between them and their families. And the proposed solution is to invite them into our homes for what will clearly end up being a very long time?

government need to get a grip on this

The Tent extension at the Citywest seems to be phase 4 of the government's approach, I can see this idea catching on at more discrete hotel locations, Duffys circus might even be called upon , they have fine, spacious Marquees 😏

• Advertisement

Sounds like our Ukrainian friends have big expectations and high standards- it appears the “never look a gift horse in the mouth” saying I was reared on never made it to Ukraine

My lord a lot of hoteliers being interviewed this morning 😳 another one on now , news at one .

Desperation setting in I sense .

I’m sure those expectations have been planted in their heads

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

My housemate's friend's hometown had around 50 Ukrainian refugees moved into a local guesthouse a few weeks ago. Apparently one of the women is earning some extra cash offering her "services" to the local bachelors in the area.

Housemate's friend was showing us the pictures of her standing on the side of the road in the nip, which are doing the rounds on social media last night.

I was telling the Polish lad I work with earlier, he said it's a common tactic they use in the Ukraine to drum up business.

Seems strange she'd do that - unless she's not the full biscuit. I'm sure it won't be long before the Gardaí are involved.

Exciting story on Ice cream 99's and job opportunities on RTE news at one , of course there's a fluffy Ukranian angle to the story .

Not sure about anyone else, the size of Flakes has reduced dramatically over the years , Shrinkflation, I think its called , its outrageous. 🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We once had a nice country, with good supports for people who needed it, and those who worked could expect to be rewarded for it with a nice, affordable standard of living.

That's all gone to shit now. In giving people from poorer countries a standard of living that they could only dream of, and receiving very little benefit from them in return, we are making the lives of Irish people and those who work worse each year that passes.

"Invite the Third World to your country - become Third World"

Fintan O’Toole was right in his Irish times piece last weekend. We are not a developed country. The nice shiny buildings in docklands made us think we were. But the veneer (what veneer remains) is rapidly being rubbed off, exposing our foundations for what they are

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes,

Exactly.. what people have to realise is that Ireland as we’ve known it is history.

we know that too it’s not going to stop at the Ukraine.

Ireland, the EU ( which is finished btw ) where we are now seeing people advocating arrivals too from other parts of the globe, now, wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Toolebox has never been right on anything, the windbag

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement