Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It was almost a bit unfair to Paidi Fitz to throw him in there, after virtually no game time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Pretty sure that yesterday was his first time getting any game time in this year's championship. Did he feature much in the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Some game today. That ll stand to Limerick. Clare did not show up at all

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Slow down PeggyShippen. Davy has set all his teams up to keep the losing margin as small as possible. Losing Conlan totally disrupted the flow of the team and the structure. Kelly not fit must have dampened the team's belief, and the Munster final loss was a huge energy drain.

Without Duggan yesterday, in a two-man forward we would have won no ball. Whatever we did win was a two-on-one. He was fighting a lone battle in the air. Stand back from this performance and we can see where our weaknesses are.. They are the size of the cornerbacks, the future without Conlan,. We don't have a dominating midfield who will hold the centre and control (Colm Galvin's skill set was badly missed yesterday). We don't have a centre-forward who brings others into the play. Kelly at Centre forward never brings the full-forward into the game.

Kelly was carrying a leg, and well man-marked. He plays off the break and KK denied just that yesterday. They dominated the air and clean up possession. They are better hurlers. David Riedy was lost in the match. Much as I admire Malones work rate, he does lack that bit of craft that Colm Galvin has, but if you take him out of the team you will know he's missing. The game plan Galway played today, was more or less the same Clare failed to do yesterday.

Lohan has achieved 4 wins, 2 draws (count the extra time in Munster as a draw) and 1 bad loss. That's more than others have achieved, yet there will be no one more disappointed than Lohan with the outcome.

Fixing the deficiencies is not going to be easy, I don't think there is an outstanding talent to fill the positions that are problems coming through. Galvin from Clarecastle is one player who has that bit of class, but I don't know what his situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Cian Galvin recently broke his hand at a Clare Cup match against Wolfe Tones. He is a very good prospect but his injuries are concerning. Having to find a new 6 for next year would be tough.

For me, I always felt that Tony Kelly played his most consistent hurling at midfield. I think Ballyea have it right playing him there too because they know at club level he’ll never not be man marked. Playing him midfield can limits the amount of times he has to win ball (his main weakness) and maximise he license to move around (one of his best strengths). Also it’s hardest to man mark a midfielder rather than a forward.

I also think Duggan’s best position is at half forward. He just doesn’t have the quickness inside. Lohan has built a solid team, for next year we need to reconfigure our full forward line, find a free taker and more options between 5-9. We’ll be back next year I think, it won’t be easy but there are are a couple of shaky teams in Munster. But I think also while Lohan has done an overall good job, he and his management team need to pickup some harsh learnings this year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

take no notice , it has been a fantastic year for clare gaa , we would have taken your had off for this outcome at the start of the year , mounsey, nolan meehan and rodgers will all be super stars yet bring on 2023

lads as pat fitz walked in home last night on the castlecrine road just outside the bridge , he hung up his dunestores 1970s by 3 get 1 free purple jumper up on the hook on the hall way for the last time , 3 all irelands and a munster football title later is some record but by god did he push his weight when he wanted to

if he didnt have such a spoilt son we would never have taught of him

whos going to join me in a send off

Should auld acquaintance be forgot

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be

forgotAnd days of purple jumpers !!!

Don't be so sure the next one in isn't better than the last one out.. Time will tell and we will see who wants that job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think WSH hit the nail on the head there, if it wasn't for Davy Pat's tenure would have been seen as a successful 1, personally I think he should have retired when Davy became manager or at least after they won the All Ireland, if he did that he'd possibly be seen as a hero in Clare circles as the administrator would won 3 All Ireland's and a Munster Football, now it'll be all about "where did the money go?"

Time moves on quickly. I wish him the best in his retirement. Id like to see an outsider with the suitable qualifications and CV get the job. I do not need a Clareman or woman to get it or even a GAA person. There needs to be a professional distance between the driver of an organisation and the minions and proletariat. Commercially we need a new voice aswell.

Lohan needs to take abut more responsibility for last Saturdays debacle aswell. I dont like how he felt it was ok to dodge the interviews after the game. We've an awful tendency in Clare to be 'all in' behind someone to a degree that we don't question things. I like Lohan alot and I think he's done alot right but by God he got a fair bit wrong Saturday night. No plan B ,no tactically change. Subs on too late . No onfield leadership when Conlon doesn't play.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Yeah, Lohan could have gone for the token default interview, say nothing except "today was kilkenny's day...we'll look back later on things..etc." He's good anyways at saying very little in interviews.

Still searching for answers to what happened. I wonder how the players see it.

I do wonder what happened to Clare's running game from earlier matches. Were they just tired and unable to sustain it?

And the selection of Paidi Fitz was very peculiar. I really wonder what the rationale was there. Maybe worried about Kilkenny under the high ball? Jack Browne or Aaron Fitz not having the height.

In fairness, Shanagher came on for I.Galvin in the first half. He offers something different, or at least he normally does.

Paidi Fitz and Reidy went off at half time with Rodgers and Aaron Fitz coming in. And in fairness the performance did improve after half time (maybe also an element of Kilkenny taking their foot off the gas). Maybe half time was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Heard Daly and someone else on the podcasts saying Lohan has serious issues with his back at the moment, don't know if this is a factor in not doing the post match press obligations.

Yeah doing an interview should be an obligation of all managers after a game. Lohans back is at him but that's neither here nor there. He should have stood infront of the camera and answered a few questions after the game. Its a bad look. He's got alot of goodwill behind him but that performance was a huge disappointment. The tactics were dire.

If I hear someone else say Limerick haven't beaten us over 3 seventy minute games then I ll go mad. Its nonsense of the highest order . We were beaten in the Munster final in extra time. We'll beaten in that extra time after an excellent performance. We actually were beaten in Cusack Park in the Munster Cup back at the start of the season aswell. It's all sounding abit silly. Duggan and Malone have been poor all championship but nobody questioned their automatic starter status. I mentioned that Ian Galvin and Duggan don't trouble the scoreboard enough. Duggan is also no goal threat over the past few games. If I was Rodgers I'd be upset I wasn't given a proper game. Overall a fairly positive year with the likes of Meehan and Rodgers and Taylor coming good. Next year Conlon is a year older as is McInerney, Kelly and we have to get a new goalie.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I see that the Dublin ladies footballers lost today. Mick Bohans possible last game as manager perhaps. Would love him to see him take over the Clare senior footballers in 2023, if as expected Colm Collins takes a sabbatical from inter county management.

i said the same thing when i heard it , bohan gave us a year for free in 2016 charged nothing and we won the division 3 title and got to the all ireland 1/4 final where we aquitted ourselves a lot better then we did a few weeks ago , if colins stays he is still an option , but like paudi kissane who is another fine coach they rightly so wont hang around for long without payment ,the money is there to bring him in

i still think the answer to all your questions is in lohans interview after the limerick game ,he seemed to suggest that everything had been put into the Munster campaign with little taught of afterwards , thats pretty much how it paned out

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

yes exactly, the very second I heard Lohan's interview after that final it occurred to me that its highly unlikely Clare will get to All Ireland Final this year, "all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind

they will just have to learn from this otherwise the whole exercise is futile

Kilmaley 0-25 Clonlara 0-15 FT in the Clare Cup final this evening in Cusack Park. Kilmaley are serious contenders for the canon Hamilton this year, judging by this result. Conor Cleary outstanding for the winners by all accounts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Serious performance for Kilmaley, they will be serious contender this year but you'd imagine the Eire Og will have too much for them in the first round.

• Advertisement

not at it but thats a huge win for kilmaley , very impressive score

there is no doubt they have the talent to be serious contenders for years to come if the get the house in order , no denying the talent they expose

Pat Fitz's final county board meeting as secretary takes place tonight outside in Caherlohan. No doubt it will be a night of many tributes for the Bridge clubman. Pat Fitz retires on Monday next.

16 people have put themselves forward for the Chief Operations Officer role in Clare GAA. Within that 16 are some of the county boards staunchest cronies.

It’s vitally important that Croke Park do their due diligence on each candidate and ensure that the new COO, is independent from any long serving members of the Clare county board and that the best man or woman gets the job rather than being a Fitz puppet.

27 years ago, I'm getting old

Who has applied? I could guess, but if they are part of the old setup they need to realise they are most of the problem.

theres a good shot of lads from the 97 team in that photo too , likes of brian quinn , gilligan and co in that photo that were not on the 95 panel , fingers still has the class about him and a bit of a pose ,ladies man off the field warrior on the field 😅

tutts has wintered well too i hardly recognized him , havent seen nor heard of ken Morrissey in years was heavily involved in the underage set ups one time is he still involved wit the development squads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Club championship kicks off this weekend with 2 double headers on Saturday, one in the park and one in the bridge,

Hearing Clare Gaa are not live streaming anything this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Apparently Clares all Ireland wins are removed from history by the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

GAA apologised since for the editing error, what was worse was themselves and Wexford presented to a sparcly populated stadium about an hour before throw in rather than half time. Also silly teams aren't allowed have a brief puck around when they arrive at the stadium.

Advertisement