Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

It's all good, guys. The second coming of Jesus Christ beckons, he has risen. Tongue very much planted in cheek. I used to have a very gloomy outlook on these matters, we appeared to be marching off a cliff face like lemmings, but I have a good hunch that things are about to change for the better. Stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not as accurate as modern equipment but still exceptionally accurate.

Many of the ones from 175 years ago are still being used and still meeting standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I was never talking about the accuracy of the Equipment. The accuracy of logging information. We have no idea what some land owning lord that took this up as a pastime whether they were being truthful or not. Back then you had a big wig deciding on what the little wigs were saying was correct or not. Completely different now. Modern scientist travels back 175 years would probably laugh them all out the room with their antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The fact that the world should be getting colder based on solar cycles but is doing the opposite is worrying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

But what "we" propose to do in relation to agriculture appears counter productive......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

You can suggest what you like but it doesn't make it true.

Its not about being bulletproof science, their is still no real evidence to support the theory that grand solar minimums cause the earth to cool significantly, only theories based on timings of events.

Also while a new grand solar minimum will happen some day their is not enough evidence to say its going to happen soon. The new cycle is just starting and looks as active or more than the previous. Solar activity is very hard to predict and thats why so many scientists get it wrong.

I certainly would not be betting on the earth cooling down within the next century due to solar activity, their is little evidence to suggest this is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Interesting.

I like the graph of solar irradiance v temp. That does show a drastic change since 1980s. Now do we have the same graph for an extended period so that we could see it that change since 1980 is something to worry about or again part of a cycle which has happened before?

The NASA article in general says nothing.

We may or may not be entering a solar minimum.

It might last decades or centuries.

It might cause cooling or it might not.

I'm still laughing at the comment that there is no evidence of correlation between solar minimums and the cooling that happens when each solar minimum occurs.

If we had a past history of increased human interference that coincided with periods of warming, that data would classed as conclusive. Not so when cooling is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

However people in India and China are likely to think the same way. Why should someone in India make sacrifices so that you can continue to pump out carbon emissions at a greater rate than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

its probably too late when people don't understand something as basic as when to use 'is' and when to use 'are'........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

you might call it that, i prefer to call it a basic command of the english language to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Then maybe start by constructing your sentence correctly for instance with a capital Y and a capital I in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

Hardly matters if they're dictatorships does if there is nothing to dictate when the whole house goes up in flames. It's very much in there interest to make the changes is it not? Or are they living on another planet?

In other words it's hard to argue against the fact that 1 plus 1 equals 2 no matter what political ideology you follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Russia seem to be living on a different planet. You seem to think the people at the top of the pile in these places are sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Right so from reading this thread we are fairly fooked supposedly.

What will the effect on Ireland be in 50 years so My family can be prepared?

How much warmer will it get in the summer? Are we looking at 40 degrees in Ireland for a month continuous?

What plans can I make to grow my own veg that will support my family with fresh food?

Will the winters be wetter and colder? Can I store the water for drinking via filters and UV lights?

Can I generate my own electricity to keep us light going to make sure I have water for example?

Has anyone mapped this out as all I’m hearing is we are fooked, but get specific please.

Solar minimums happen every solar cycle aprox every 11 years or so. I think what your talking about is grand solar minimums, which is a period of cycles with little sun spot activity.

There has been two grand solar minimums recorded since the 16th century. The Maunder and Dalton minimums and yes both coincided with cooler weather, however the mini ice age as it was called actually started before the Maunder minimum started, and the Dalton minimum coincided with a volcanic eruption that could have explained the cooler temperatures then.

So while their is a theory that these grand minimums could cause a cooler climate for a period of time it is still only theory and as such is not evidence that it does.

But regardless their is very little certainty of when a new grand solar minimum may occur along with enough evidence to say that they certainly do cause a cooler climate.

So to use it as an argument that the climate will cool down any time soon is a non runner IMO.

I get what your saying, however when it comes to predicting solar activity cycles and solar activity it is very hard for any scientists as of yet to predict them accurately, thats why their is so many varying opinions on it, also many theories trying to explain it.

Im far from an expert on climate change but I guess when it comes to the science of it, there would be more confidence in the models created and maybe less disagreement in them within the scientific community. Although I agree their is differing opinions on it from some.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Fear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The hunger for power and control are not confined to places like Russia...democracies like the USA and Israel for example are bloody good at it too.

Its a human nature thing not a system of government thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Climate change scientists are in an incredibly small niche of eco-warrior crackpots. The only reason they are being heard is because of the special interest funding they get to churn out biased publications that get blown out of proportion by the media.

The earth is fine, they will never predict anything that people won't have forgotten about when that year eventually comes. It's all spurious projection and extrapolation. In the early 2000s they were pegging 2012 and 2020 as the doomsday years. Now it's 2030 and 2050. In 2050, they'll be saying 2100 will be the year of no return.

It's all b*llox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We need India China the usa EU countrys to make a deal to reduce energy use, switch to green energy, I see no sign of this happening, I'm glad I grew up in the 70s, we had no sign of forest fires, global warming, I'm not optimistic, I see some country's running out of water, the price of basic foods is rising, meanwhile as it gets worse, the worse hit will be low paid workers in third world country's People with money can afford to move to other country's. I just see bad news every day. Meanwhile Iran is getting ready to build nuclear weapons, the war in Ukraine continues. It feels like we are in a bad scifi movie but theres no heroes on the horizon, no avengers to rescue us

Even if everyone in Ireland buys an electric car or cycles a bike will it make any difference

We have the likes of Kylie jenner flying in a private jet

I read articles about people leaving the USA to buy a house in a country that's not in a drought with forest fires and a looming energy crisis

USA used to lead the world in living standards a place of hope and optimism now it seems to be on the age of chaos with idiots like Elon musk and republican extremists setting the tone

In 2020 private jets should only be used by Politicans the president etc not fashion influencers

I see no one offering a positive plan or hope for the world to fight climate change

Politicans are fighting climate change the pandemic inflation

Climate change is not on the agenda

People are surviving in Texas and many states by just staying inside turning on air con that's not a long term solution

It's not the corporate media that's the problem the neo facist Politicans in India or China don't give a f about climate change

I can't think of a reason to be optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No sign of forest fires in 70's eh?

Perhaps you just didnt pay attention which is not surprising since people were not that woke back then. Also they were not bored as they had different, kind of real more urgent problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

In 1985 Jonathan Shanklin was a junior researcher at BAS when he discovered a hole in the invisible shield that protects us from solar radiation. We catch up with him to learn about his work and how it has made a difference. It's 37 years since scientists first discovered the hole in the ozone layer.

This is the kind of stuff that should be discussed but there are too many interested parties that need to promote climate change doomsday so you will struggle to get to the truth if it.

Massive opportunity for every house to generate own power or village co ops or whatever but big business want to control this so it is being held back. Just look at the shambles that is the pv feed in tariff. Leaving all the control with the energy companies and no incentive for the householder.

How will the country look in 50 years. We had scare mongering maps of the country produced there last year showing half of Dublin under water. The greens must think Engineers and human kind will stand still and not change our built environment to suit the conditions.

40 degrees for long spells over the summer. I don't see the issue tbh.

Something I can understand is poorer countries where climate might eventually result in areas being Flooded, areas so remote and untouched that realistically nobody in going to build flood defences etc but even in those areas, it will happen over many generations.

Ok well at least we are getting somewhere. Firstly there was no correlation whatsoever between temps and the grand solar minimums.

Now you accept that there is at least a theory that they result in lower temps.

All I'm trying to get at here is that there are cycles of the planet that have and will again result in cooling dispute what mankind does.

1000 years for example is a tiny blip in terms of the life of the planet yet we are getting excited about a period from 1980 to 2020.

I say live responsibly but this agenda within the media of putting fear into everyone when a good day is even rumoured to be on the horizon needs to stop.

Someone said having to go Indoors with Aircon during warm spell is not sustainable.

What about cool weather. Nobody says having to run heating for months of the year because you would die if left outside in the weather is not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah so 40 degree heat in summer for a couple of weeks in 20 years time? Grand. Save up to buy an air conditioning system- two or three air conditioning towers.

What about the lack of water in 40 degree heat? Rainwater harvesting and filters.

electricity demands to run air conditioning? Pay for every house in the country to fit solar panels and batteries to offset additional use instead of the crazy grant system that just puts extra money in car manufacturers/ builders/manufacturers/developers pockets.

What other issues will we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

This post is such muck its hard to know where to start with it.

Firstly, man can engineer as any dams, bridges, dykes as he wants. What he can't engineer is the ecosystem we all depend on and its collapsing. People like you seem to be unable to get their head around the fact that we depend on every other living creature on this planet to sustain our existence. Its all interlinked, so if we wipe out microbes in the ocean by changing the water temperature either through warming or cooling this then has a knock on affect to everything else. We're seeing insect populations collapse which may make fcuk all difference to you now but eventually it will mean you're struggling for food.

In areas where the increased heat and weather patterns makes living there no longer possible, those people will migrate and then will aim for the developed countries which has massive knock on effects. We're already overfarming our land but now we'll have less land and feeding more people.

It doesn't matter at this stage as we've crossed the rubicon and theres no halting whats in progress now. The environmental damaged caused by Russias war and Ukraine would offset 10yrs of environmental measures. So enjoy the sunny day guilt free, its not the sunny day you need to worry about.

• Advertisement

People seeming to think that air conditioning is the solution but where does the energy that runs the high use air-con coming from?

Advertisement