Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ye olde retailer-warranty-expired-fobb-off situation

Options
  • 20-07-2022 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Bought a Lenovo laptop from DID 1 year 8 months ago. It now no longer powers up. When I contacted them they said it came with a one year warranty which has expired. They offered to sell me a replacement charger.

What's the best way to proceed with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Link to legislation:

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/a09d3-consumer-rights-and-guarantees-related-to-buying-goods-and-services-including-procedures-for-consumer-dispute-resolution-and-compensation/

Refers to two- and six-year entitlement periods both of which cover my situation.

However, it says

if the fault appears six months after it was received, you may have to prove that it was not caused by you

How am I supposed to prove I didn't cause the fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Google reviews for the make and model and see if other consumers are experiencing similar faults.

Plenty of failures on Amazon US. Wonder would that do?

Nothing closer to home... ie/uk/eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It possibly is the charger. That can be damaged by power surge or any amount of things.

After 20 months of constant use, it would be very difficult to claim that a manufacturing defect is at fault as if there was a manufacturing defect in the charger it would have shown up a lot sooner.

They are about €20

Had the charger tested, working fine.

Are you saying that 20 months is an acceptable lifespan for a laptop?

It wasn't in constant use, an hour or two of homework in the evening and not switched on for three months during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I see the issue here. You have an attitude.

Maybe try and read my post again.

You said it did not charge up. You said DID suggested a replacement charger. A charger can get damaged easily. A charger is €20. Yes, 20 months is perfectly acceptable lifespan for a charger.

If you read the post, I did not in any way whatsoever say 20 months was acceptable for a laptop. And yes YOU need to show that it is a manufacturing defect and not caused by mis-use at some point in the 20+ months you have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

No. I dont believe he said that. If you want to get this sorted, you may want to cool it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP i find when dealing with customer services 'the nice approach' gets better results consistently. Even when you don't get satisfaction at the first attempt.

if your taking that tone with someone who is a stranger & took time out of their day to make a reasonable point based on the information your provided, i think it is worth mentioning.

Be persistent, know your rights but keep a polite tone.

Best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I responded to your post in the legal thread. The laptop my friend had was also a lenovo. Currys tried the same 1 year thing with her, and she explained to them that a warranty is in addition to her consumer rights, not in place of! She took the matter to the Small Claims court in the end and won the case - full refund. The laptop cost just under €300 iirc.

Retailers are too fond of the warranty excuse hoping people will just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GIMP

Ya I contacted Powercity recently about a faulty washing machine, same bs out of warranty as its only 2 years old. I just replied grand Im not going to argue this Small Claims is the way to go. We have taken a few cases against a few retailers pulling tha warranty rubbish, won every one and got full refunds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement