Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks Jonathan

Yeah I figured something was off today but couldn't figure out why. Those voltage numbers certainly highlight that it wasn't just a crap day.

Even looking at yesterday, although it was a cracking day, there were still some blips, string one with a series of random drops later in the evening etc.

Likely to be a settings issue or a fault do you think?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm not sure sure tbh. Can you post up the graph from yesterday with the DC voltage and DC current for each string?

Does the voltage drop correspond with periods when the current rises sharply?

And interestingly, today seems to be behaving fine.

This mornings weather:

And the corresponding generation and voltage chart.

And as of 9am, still behaving and currently generating 1.3kW.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Load ain't causing that voltage drop anyway! Inverter MPPT seems to be making the best of what it can with that low voltage and current when fault occurs.

Looks like a fault, maybe a loose MC4 connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

@DrPhilG Sharing mine with you - i might learn something! I have a very similar graph to your top one.

What is the 7pm drop all about? The early drop was a lighting/thunder event that tripped power for a second.

MC4, is that one of the inverter connections? When I got home last night I powered everything off, checked all inverter connections and powered back on.

Will be interesting to see if today behaves differently. Generation intermittent so far but expected with the weather as it is. Voltages stable. Blue is the south facing bigger string, green is the west.

All very civilised today.

String voltages fine. Generation respectable.

And even with the fan just sitting pointing in the general direction of the inverter, the temperature has been much better. 42° at worst, Monday hit 67.5°.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

‘Water Heating Off - Lost signal from sender’ is flashing on our box in the hot press beside our immersion. There is also a warning light.

SolariBoost is the name on the box. We have panels and an inverter.

is it simply a matter of turning it off and back on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭E30M3

• Advertisement

I’ve changed the batteries (twice - 2 different new packets).

The light on the small box that fits in the meter box flashes a single green flash roughly each 10 seconds.

I have removed it from the meter and it’s now in my hand near the SolariBoost box that’s beside the tank in the immersion.

Pressing and holding B repeatedly to pair them but it keeps failing.

There is probably something really simple that I’m not doing but we’ve had to use the electric shower the past two days as the water didn’t heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Folks, COMPLETELY new to solar PV with system only just installed and operation yesterday. System includes 10x400W panels, south facing, inverter, Eddi, Myenergi Hub and Harvi. The OH was here when the system was commissioned, and I'm now trying to understand the data.

very conscious its early days, however on the Myenergi app, the it would appear that the house load always matches the generated amount with Zero surplus created. Not much going on in the house at present, so it seems odd. Its also showing very little import and no export.

Is there anywhere i can read up / watch a video that will explain things a little for me before contacting the supplier? I've googled, but im not entirely sure what i am googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Give us a screen pic

see above (i hope) - it seems that the system also reports generation based on house usage.

Don’t think it’s the batteries as I’ve changed them.

I assume that you have a Hybrid inverter ? If so, the only power measured from "PV" is that which leaves the inverter.

There should be 2 x CT Clamps, one measuring the inverter (configured as Generation) and one measuring the grid (configured as Grid)

It could be that the grid CT is not configured within the Harvi (within the Eddi)

So are there one or two cables going into the Harvi ?

No, just a standard inverter - Growatt.

2 cables going into the Harvi, which is located just below main fuse board.

Post edited by budhabob on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From a complete noob - it doesn't look right, 22:10 and you are generating 2.3kW? Suggests maybe a meter clamp on the house supply end might be an issue

ya agreed - it was "generating" a small amount over night aswell. I will monitor over the weekend and contact the supplier on Monday with some more data.

I see MyEnergi are now offering extended warranties (two year extension, for a total of five years) in Ireland;

• Zappi = €140
    • Eddi = €95

Hubs and Harvis installed at same time are covered for free if extended warranty taken out on Zappi or Eddi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Consumer rights would provide the same coverage (albeit via appropriately worded communication should things go wrong 3yrs+)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone have or heard much about an "Ergocell" hybrid inverter a battery storage? Crowd i've gotten a not too bad quote from (give the crazy prices these days) use them, but i'm struggling to read much reviews about them. Most of what I Google just lands me to the installers site. I'm cautious about getting stuck with a manufacturer specific system if 1. The installer goes bust, 2. the manufacturer goes bust, 3. I want to add to it later and i'm tied to "ergocell" batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Go with a Solis for the inverter.

Batteries, Dyness, Pylontech or puredrive. DIY Batteries are another option.

All above are available, tried and tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

I've just had the panels installed by that crowd! Just waiting for the inverter and battery to be wired up. Speaking to the installation crew, they (all 3) have the Ergocell inverter in their own PV system and say there are no problems, 1 guy 3 years +. Of course they would say that, wouldn't they?!

The installation company don't just rely on PV systems, they do a lot more than that. The company are the Ireland sole importers of Ergocell/CATL and the Solitek panels. Enables reasonable pricing of their systems but may also give concerns to purchasers like yourself. It is unlikely (in my opinion) that both the installation company and the manufacturer would go belly up within the warranty time. Even if either of them did, there would be a good chance that the ashes would be picked up by a bargain hunter.

Dave

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That's kinda where my gut was going. Pricing wise between the Ergocell inverter setup vs solis inverter setup there's much of a muchness (€700 less for solis). Only bother is the Solis installer is based in NI and i'm in Cork, so that's a little bit of a concern.

Thanks Dave

but may also give concerns to purchasers like yourself

That's pretty much it, along with the lack of general user information/feedback/usage for "crowdsourcing" solutions if/when things go wrong.

If I went Solis, i'd likely be with a well used installer from NI.

If I go Ergocell it's pretty obvious who i'd be going with.

€700 in the difference between them, but Ergocell crowd are much more local to me than the NI fitter (not sure how much of a difference that makes).

There's 3rd option which splits the price (solis setup again) but they seem a bit less structured and organised than either of the other 2. Gut says to rule them out.

I bet the only time that 99% of owners who called their installers, was in the first week, where they either misunderstood something, or the installer put a CT clamp on the wrong way around

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Been on the same rollercoaster with the same decision and thought about the same pros/cons. In the end going with someone I think we can get on with and understands our requirements and is relatively local. We’ll see how it works out 🤞🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

One reason I went with the local crowd was the speed of installation. Once I had accepted the quote, the panels were up on the roof after 2 weeks. OK, I'm still waiting for the electrical hook-up but I was told that the time between the panel installation and completion would be 3 weeks mainly because of Covid sickness and catching up on holidays due.

If you go with the NI co. how long will it be before a crew come down to Cork for an installation? Will they come down for a one off, or will you have to wait until there are a few installations to carry out?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I waited 2 months and when they showed it was done and dusted in a full day. Price was v good and so was the work. They have been back for an add on already in a timely fashion.

In the grand scheme of things going with whoever is quickest would be way way down my list.

• Advertisement

Advertisement