Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith sentenced to 15 months

Options
  • 22-07-2022 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So she got 15months for her membership of the Islamic State death cult.

I doubt she will serve the full 15 but none of the sentence has been suspended and she is low risk if reoffending according to the judge.

Personally I would have thought 3+ years would have been more appropriate. But I'm sure a legal expert like a judge would know better. Then again I'm not sure what benefit a prison would serve someone like her.

Do feel sorry for her child though.

All Eyes On Rafah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

The only appropriate sentence for anybody involved with ISIS is death. They should have never brought her back and should have left her to be dealt with correctly in whatever desert shithole she was found in.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wangchung

Totally agree. Only in Ireland ,do you get to 'write out a hundred lines as part of your punishment'. If that was in UK or USA, she would have received a harsh sentence. They should have left her where she was .

15-months is an absolute disgrace.

But I'm not surprised. Our justice system is about as light on justice as you can get. 15-months for joining a terrorist organisation death cult, and she'll be out wandering the streets - presumably filled with the same ideology that fuelled her support for ISIS.

She should have gotten a minimum of 10-years in prison, the nasty witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Can the DPP appeal if they consider the sentence unduly lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

No one serves the full sentence. She'll most likely be out in 6 to 8 months.

Absolute joke of a sentence. What is wrong with our justice system. We have basically just told the world, look if you're part of a major terrorist organisation and brought back to Ireland for justice, it'll be grand sure, a few months in prison and back on your merry way then. She should have been left to rot in the shithole prison she was found in. However, since they didn't do that, she should have gotten at least 10 years minimum to try and deter any other nutjobs that would consider going to join that evil group. This country never ceases to amaze me with the weak justice system and continues to be a laughing stock of the world every single day. Pathetic showing from the judges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Be grand, chances are she'll be on some **** chat show when she gets out and spin a sympathy story....might even make a few bob out of it, like that drug mule Michaella McCollum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I would have given her 15 years - total joke of a judicial system

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I wonder what sentence she would have got if she had joined one of our 'home grown' terrorist organisations?

It's quite curious that when someone from another country commits a crime in Ireland we hear relentless "Send them back from whence they came", "if you can't abide by the laws of the land, you shouldn't be here", "Why should the Irish tax payer fund their imprisonment?", etc...

Yet here we have an Irish citizen, who went to illegally occupied territory, which has since been reclaimed, and we expect Syria to deal with her.

We did exactly what the British should have done (and will eventually do) with Shamima Begum, brought her home and put her on trial.

Incidentally, I think Lisa Smith is less remorseful than Shamima Begum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

For all that ISIS stood for, that sentence is far too short will be a breeze to her. When she gets out she will still be radicalized and who knows what she could be involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Next time we hear of her will be after she straps a bomb to her chest and lets rip in the local post office. That sentence she got is zero deterrent. She’ll be out by Christmas.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

FFS, the vitriol is unsurprising, the reality is most criminals here get away with what they did, actual crimes that affect people living here, what she has done, while stupid and I dont agree or understand what or why she did the things she has done, has not substantially affected people here or this country. Scumbags, ie day to day toe rags cause more problems, politicians have cause more harm to our society, there is no benefit locking her up other than vengeance. The people who should be locked up (which is at great cost to the state, ie us all) are

1. Repeat offenders who cant or wont be rehabilitated
    2. Those who have committed crimes of a violent or sexual nature

She wasn't running ISIS, she was taken in by them for foolish beliefs/reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Absolute joke of a sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Disgraceful sentence. Not really surprising though given the legal system’s penchant for treating criminals as the real “victims” of any crime.

Nice deterrent, and precedence though, for any would be Jihadi wanting to cause similar chaos though.

Our Country is in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'The only appropriate sentence for anyone involved with ISIS is death'

Sounds like something someone from ISIS would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wish you were wrong...but past experience shows you are probably right...

Wasn't long til he was as on the late late...

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Seems about right to me, in the context of other sentancing

Plus she has a child as we all know they don't like putting mothers in the slammer

ISIS are enemies of humanity so you'll have to get over yourself if you expect people to have sympathy for them (and more fool you if you do).Every last one of them should be killed, no exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

3 to 5 years is the going rate for IRA membership.

Why exactly was Ms. Smith treated more leniently?

By your logic they would all have committed hari kari, Id say they see themselves as the enemies of the West, but of humanity, they likely think they are defending it from the onslaught of the West. If you don't understand other people, groups, factions and your response is as brutal and violent as theirs, is it any wonder people oppose each other in a tribal way? Or yours are comments for shock or parody, the alternative is you aren't much of a deep thinker.

I'll have to look it up, what actual Crime was she sentenced with? do you even know yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ridiculously short sentence, but no surprise really. How can we be sure she won't be a danger to society when she gets out?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The ah shur god love her defence worked I see.

She wasn't running ISIS, she was taken in by them for foolish beliefs/reasons

What a lame excuse.

That sentence could apply to pretty much any terrorist organisation or group.

You are taking away her agency as if she was a passenger in the entire process. She must take complete responsibility for her actions, and 15-months is an absolute joke. Trying to excuse away or exonerate her actions is ridiculous.

Why don't you start by reading up on what ISiS have done since you don't have a **** notion apparently? There's nothing to understand about them other than being pure and utter evil savages - don't even try to sugar coat their aims as something I don't understand when you don't have the first clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The court said the “headline sentence” was two years and six months. In light of Smith’s mitigation and military service, a “substantial discount” of 50 per cent was applied, leading to a final sentence of 15 months.

The sentence was 2 and a half years (30 months) with 15 months suspended.

Are you dense? or just a blatant liar? I never sugar coated what ISIS did or do and its there for all to see in this thread, you actually give their actions more support by idiotically stating we should have the Death penalty for the person in question here OR anyone who foolishly supported their cause. I know they tried to set up a Caliphate and I doubt you have a clue what they were up to other than what you were told. ISIS were supported to more than the tune of €800 which the person in question stupidly did. So at what point have I sugar coated what they did/do when it's yourself suggesting the death penalty. You're knee jerk reaction is laughable, just line up with everything everyone else says or what you're told to do and say, think for yourself, if that is possible.

Master of the Universe

Never said anyone should have sympathy for them. I just find it quite funny that you seem to lack self awareness as to how much your post read like something an ISIS member would say. Talking about humanity in one post and then wishing death on people because they are in a death cult in another.

Couldn't make it up. 🤣

• Advertisement

The Criminal Justice Act 1990 abolished the death penalty completely and set the punishment for treason at life imprisonment, with parole in not less than forty years

if it wasnt treason then nothing is

Advertisement