Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

But when the sun is in the South (South West), the east panels will be in shade. Is that not a reason for optimisers or have I it all wrong?

Everything will depend on the install. Roof space is at a premium so I'm hoping I can get 12 panels in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The inverters have 2 independent strings, and one side of the roof is on string 1 and the other on string 2.

Optimisers are used when there is shading within a string.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

After months of lurking here I'm finally in a position to start requesting quotes. My roof is East/West and typical semi-d. I have an EV and will be getting a Zappi installed as part of a rewire.

Company 3 which comes highly recommended here and looks like a clear winner. If I assume 3,300 for the eddi and battery, the price per kW on the panels is 1,250€ which is close enough to the 1,200€ guide given the state of things at the moment.

Is there anything I should be looking to query on that one?

Company 1: 9,860 after grant

- PV Modules: 10 No. 380 Watt Solar PV Panels. 1769mm x 1052mm

- Solis Hybrid Inverter: Single phase, Dual string with Irish configuration

2.4kWh Battery Storage.

- Power Diverter. Diverts all excess energy towards your immersion heater.

- Wifi Remote Monitoring.

- Pitched roof mounting kit incl. retrofit kit, bracketing, clamps and remaining materials. - MC4 Connectors, male & female

- 2-Pole DC Isolator switch - IP66/67

- 4-Pole AC Isolator switch - IP6/67

- Operation & Maintenance Manual Provided

- Fully installed & commissioned by a Safe Electric registered electrician.

Company 2: This was a generic mail received in reply to the request with sample prices

4.8kWp (12X400W) with 2.4kWh  storage with MYEnergi EDDI water diverter

Cost including VAT is. €13294

Grant applied from SEAI €2400

Final Cost €10894

or

6kWp (15X400W)  PV system with 4.8kWh battery storage and MyEnergi EDDI water diverter

Cost including VAT is approx. €15124

Grant applied from SEAI €2400

Final Cost €12724

Company 3: 10,100€ after grant

Modules- 340w JA Mono panels with 30- year efficiency warranty and 25-year manufacturer’s warranty

16x 340w JA panels Monocrystalline = 5.4kwp system

Battery Dyness 5.1kwh battery

Inverter –RHI-5K-48ES Solis hybrid MPPT comes with 5-year warranty

Mounting Kit- Renosol roof mount Check Meter- Emlite M19

Solar Switch- for heating hot water through the solar panels with surplus power

1x Solis hybrid inverter plus WIFI dongle

All Required 1 x Check meter

As required 1x DC isolators

1x AC isolator

1x Shut of switch

Eddi water diverter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Hey guys,

I feel like this is a good quote, please tell me it is!

• 10x380w JASolar Panels
    • Eddi Hot water Diverter
    • Harvi Hub
    • 3.6kw Pylontech battery
    • Projoy Shunt Switch
    • AC/DC cabling/isolators
    • Renusol rails and brakets

€9,950(incl VAT) before grant.

Might push for a larger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

The previous post to yours should give you your answer on that :(

• Advertisement

Actually, it just dawned on me. Can I return power to the grid with an Eddi or is it a choice of one or the other?

An Eddi grabs power going to the grid and diverts it into an immersion

Ok, does that mean I can still run to the grid or is it that the Eddi diverts the power at all times? (Which seems a bit over the top).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

You can configure the settings but generally an Eddi will divert surplus energy to your immersion until it hits a set temperature. After that any further surplus goes to the grid

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Similarly, if the Eddi is turned off, the power just exports. An Eddi grabs the excess if it sees it and if it can use it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barrak

I would appreciate peoples opinions on this. I have ordered PV with inverter only and install date is coming up in the next week or two. 14 x Suntech 405 panels totalling 5KwH with Huawei Hybrid inverter (cost 7500e before grant). When ordered the energy prices were not as bad as they are now...considering adding a 5KwH Huawei Battery (would cost 3600 extra) but I am still unsure if it makes financial sense?!?

We have an electric car so will pump excess into that & already have Solar Hot Water system that has been fantastic all summer for keeping the water tank hot.

Many thanks for any expert opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

Hi

We're currently in the middle of a new build, (blocklaying stage), and I'm thinking about potentially putting in a Solar PV system.

But seeing the quotes here, and the fact we won't get a grant....I'm not sure it would financially make any sense.

With the grants now applying for homes built and occupied before 2021 (for heat pumps and renewable systems) - I'm thinking in a few years this could be updated and maybe we will meet the criteria and at that point we could pull the trigger.

Just wondering what are others opinions, or if anyone else is in a similar position.

I would suggest considering adding the roof brackets now and a cableway (installers don't like re-using previously laid cable. You could run a dedicated AC circuit to where you would propose to locate an inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

You are not alone, also have a geothermal heat pump and can hit 65-70kw in winter per day. Eye watering. I inherited the system so not sure if it’s undersized or if there is other issues. Summer usage isn’t low either. However I have one if the devices to monitor things, and there is no single device causing an issue. Defo worth another thread.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Seems like a very good price to me, I’d hold off on the battery provided the EV is at home during the day as that’s when you’ll need storage

Heat pump heats the water in summer, all 500 litres of it🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barrak

The EV will probably not be at home apart from weekends....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

So ironically heat pumps are actually more efficient in summer when it's hot outside. You can expect a COP of perhaps 4 to 1 in summer. More even, but let's go with 4 to 1.

hot water heater energy calculator : consumption of electricity, gas (power-calculation.com)

Heating 500L of water from 15C -> 60C takes 32Kwhr of energy. With a COP of 4 to 1, that would mean that you'd need to import from the grid 8Kwhr of leccie. Ok, before someone says it I know Heat pumps struggle to get to 60C, but I'm ballparking.

Seems that heating the water should be in the region of 10Kwhr....maybe 12kwhr at a push. If your using 60Kwhr as you say, something seems "off" there.

Now that you have your solar install, post up your load for 24 hrs. I'm sure people could suggest what's astray from the energy consumption profile.

Note: Probably more a Tips & troubleshooting topic than a quotes issue, but I'm pretty confident you can solve your problem and save 100's of €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

I know this is the quotes thread, but its been spoken about before here and i cant find it. All the talk of cutting off the electricity, how do you utilise having solar panels. Did someone say there is an extra piece you can buy which would let you use your stored power in case of an outage? Is another battery required?

Any knowledge appreciated

Assuming you have a battery in your solar installation, most inverters have a "EPS" (Emergency Power Supply) outlet. From this you could wire in a three pin socket, similar to a normal wall socket, and then perhaps run an extension cable to your living room and run a few low power devices. Your TV, WIFI router, lights etc. You wouldn't be able to run heavy duty items such as tumble dryer, oven, etc.

To be honest, unless you suffer from frequent and long duration black outs, mostly it's not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why can't the power run directly from the battery?

Cause the battery is DC and your house uses AC, so you have to go through the inverter to convert the DC power into AC. Where it gets a little technical is that the inverter is "Grid-tied-in", which means that when the grid goes dark (such as in the case of a power outage) then the inverter deliberately turns off ..... barring that Emergency Power Supply (EPS) outlet.

There are a host of reasons for this behavior, but the primary one is to help protect the ESB repair person up the ladder trying to fix the wires where he has turned off the electricity from the power station side...... and then your battery electrocuting him/killing him from your house side.

There are ways around this where you can have a seperately wired circuit on your consumer board (fusebox), but really....99 times out of 100 most people don't need to worry about it or do it.

Another day another load of energy used and the heating isn't on at all, at least i used nearly all the 20kwh of solar generated

I'm also getting a better handle on usage

Heat pump heating the water is probably overworking as the cylinder doesn't seem that well insulated, I am assuming the really big spikes are down to the heat pump

I've a well for water too and the pump seems to draw a fair bit of energy , I'll be turning switches in the fuse box on and off next to see where the other usage is coming from

I'm still seeing a 'run rate' of 0.7 kwh to 0.9kwh a lot which corresponds to all the electric crap account for about 15kwh or a bit more a day

Apologises Curiousness99, when I meant your load profile, I meant more like this....

for me I know exactly what makes up that 800w-1000w "base load" which is contant through the day , but you can often get a lot of information from the spikes what's going on. E.g I know that the spike there at 7am is the electric shower (Triton T90 one element 5kw) and the increase in load there at 2pm was that i turned on the washing machine as it was sunny outside and the kettle was used a fair bit and the oven at 6pm.

For example, if you have lots of usage at 3am and there's no one awake, then you can figure things out from that.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Only got one quote so far, but it seems alright to me.

9700 before grant

14 x 410w Hi-Mo 5 panels

Eddi Diverter(but no battery for now)

Solis 5kw Inverter

Safety switch and the other usual stuff

Yeah, pretty good quote that. You'd be looking at €7300 after grant, but 5.7Kwp in panels with no battery would mean that you will (most likely) be exporting a lot. Perhaps you have people at home who can utilize that (washing/showers/etc).

I'd also be looking for a 6Kw inverter if you have 5.7Kwp in panels. No sense in needlessly "clipping" yourself for the sake of a few quid. (the 6Kw isn't that much more expensive over the 5kw)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We are 5 in the house, frequent washing + I WFH. I reckon I won't be exporting as much as the norm, but agree on the inverter. Will have a think about it

• Advertisement

WFH = about 100w for a laptop and external monitor. People go on like it's 1.5kW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement