Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Dont agree. It was a common theme with dublin, guys deserving red in the melting pot and never getting it. Refs just didnt want to be the guy to stop their streak. Imagine the heat they would get in that scenario. If he was giving a card he would have been going for it, but he wasnt. Then vaughan tried to rough him up to make sure he got the red and made a mess of it.

Anyway, those days are done. Galway can go on to dominate football, what with their final mentality and forwards as good as kerry's, or so ive heard over the last few days. Arent they both the traditionalists of football? Ironic that both teams play a blanket defence now, and that nobody wants to call it that any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Shur You're the one harping on about mayo, you seem to want to make the thread about mayo, it's all a bit needy imv , frankly no one here gives a damn, we're there on merit same as Kerry and we'll give it our best shot, we've a fine bunch of men goin up an we're well proud of them they won't leave anything behind on Sunday.. Then you're goin on about, nobody cares about league or provincial titles after bringing up beating us in 98 or 2001 along the road , obviously you care.. But here's another thing we care everytime our lads (or girls) win or lose, the minors, the under 20s, the juniors, the league even the fbd, we care for them all hurling or football.. Stop lookin over the neighbours garden wall damning him with faint praise, look at your own plot regroup and start looking to the future, don't be bitter, it's not very becoming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

True to an extent.

In the 2016 final Cillian O'Connor leveled the game deep in injury time.

Cluxton took a short kick out to Bastick who picked it straight off the ground from about 21 yards out. The ref instead of making the right but tough call of giving an easy free in to Mayo to win the final instead blew for full time and the game was a draw.

It still annoys me to this day.

Is the mayo forum closed down or what … this is called all Ireland football 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The "Mayo Curse" has nothing to do with football but has everything to do with attitudes like this not being rewarded with the experience of an All Ireland final victory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yes Offaly did beat Kerry in decline and won an All ireland , Mayo beat Dublin a serious decline and still failed to win an All IRELAND

Mayo should have beaten Dublin in at least 2 All Irelands when Dublin were at there peak

Your talking nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

But won 37. 63% success rate. Not a bad return.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I wasn't good at maths in school but 0 = 0. Dress it up all u want but 10 years of not getting it done = 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Nobody cares about all the finals ye lost but you're telling us about this "journey" what was won of relevance during this 10 year "journey"?

I'm a Galway Gaa fan. Hurling and football. I enjoy when we win. And hope when we lose it fades into the background quick enough. Only journey I'm on is up and down the M6. But each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

You don't actually believe this do you? I mean I'm as bitter and twisted as the next GAA fan and Dublin's 6 in a row nearly killed me but if Galway win the All -Ireland on Sunday it is infinitely more impressive than anything any Mayo team has done since 1951.

As for the game itself I think Galway will put it up to Kerry big time but I can see a narrow 2 or 3 point win for Kerry being the outcome 2 big reasons for this IMO Galway tend to start slowly in games see Armagh Derry games this could kill them against Kerry as they could rack up a good lead early on and they also tend to run out of puff a bit at the end see Roscommon Mayo Armagh games and that could be very costly against Kerry as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Please, please, please stop the warblings. It's embarrassing. There are many other Mayo fans on here, myself included, and we are all getting stereotyped as having the same attitude.

Maybe I am wrong, but I’d say the vast majority of Mayo people will hope that Galway win on Sunday. Might not shout it from the rooftops though. But when it comes to throw-in time, and the games takes off, I would hope that we support our neighbours over a team that has won many, many times. I will be anyway. I hope to get a ticket for the match; and if I do, I might even throw on something maroon (won’t go so far as to buy the jersey). I’d definitely buy a scarf on the way in.

I wouldn’t be as thrilled as if my own county won it, but I would still be extremely happy for the Galway players and the fans. To say that you’d take the 4 or 5 All-Ireland losses over one win is an awful shambles thing to say. If someone said to you 10 years ago, that you have the choice – that you get to experience 5 All-Irelands in the next 10 years but you’re going to feel the disappointment of losing all of them; or you can get to one where your team will actually win it, you are saying that you would take that disappointment all day long – that horrible feeling when the final whistle ends and the opposition “anthem” comes on – generally Dublin in the Rare Auld Times I think. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, best of luck to the Tribesmen on Sunday. 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭cson

A Mayo fan who doesn't see the point of actually winning the competition... thats very on brand I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You wouldn't swap going up and embarrassing the province repeatedly in finals? Only playing one solitary sport and having a worse record in that sport than Wexford?

Galway have a similar number of Connachts recently as Mayo, have laid them to waste at underage and actually try their hand at other sports. We won't mention the difference in the All Ireland roll of honour, suffice to say you've humiliated yourself enough

The only person talking about mayo here if your man with the username mayoaremagic

Nobody cares about mayo this week no matter how much they try to make it about themselves. The only surprise is a mayo player hasn't retired smack in the middle of all ireland week like in 2019 to try and garner attention back on themselves. Hennelly did appear on prime time last night though so you can't discount their efforts

I didn’t see it but apparentley hennelly was on to speak about abuse gaa players receive after matches and particular abuse he received after 2016 final … at the end of the day these lads are amateur and give of there time and effort for there county . They certainly shouldn’t have to put up with any abuse from anybody . So I think your post is a tad harsh .

Completely fine, and Henellys one of the few decent ones and was happy to see his redemption story last year and no player should have to put up with abuse from his own fans. Just referring to the timing. Plenty of raised eyebrows why Moran had to pick a few days out from an All Ireland to announce the retirement when there's 51 other weeks in the year. The infamous consecutive retirements in Jan 2021 was many times worse. Maybe RTE held the candle on this one, who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The same Mayo fan was warbling on about "the journey" a few years back and it's even more embarrassing now seeing as they have managed to tack on another few losses.

Give me an all Ireland every 30 years than what we have had to go through for the last 10.

That is just how I feel about the thing. I never mentioned the word journey. I feel we got far more great occasions, out of our county team over that time than if we had just won in 2012 and never featured again. 10 years at the top has lifted the standing of the county on the gaa landscape by a huge amount. The positive knock on effects will be huge. I never asked for people to agree with me, or for anyone's opinions on it, it is just how I see it. It isnt a jibe at anyone so im not sure why people are so militant about it. I had moved on from the point but people are hellbent on going back to it.

That is your opinion and that is fine. Id consider it a bit lacking in awareness personally but I will respect it. Maybe you should do the same?

Post edited by MayoAreMagic on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't think Robbie Hennelly would have a choice about the timing of that. He wouldn't have approached RTE and advised them that he wants to go on Primetime to pour out his heart about abuse received.

On the contrary to your suggestion about timing, I think the lead up to the All-Ireland is the perfect time to discuss a very serious issue - as anything related to GAA football would be in the forefront of many peoples mind during this week.

• Advertisement

If you watched it you would know that there were several gaa figures on it, not just hennelly. The show wasnt about hennelly, it was about social media abuse within the gaa. But apparently, the mayo lads make everything about mayo.

Id imagine the timing is to do with peak interest levels in gaa within the viewership.

Or it could be that hennelly is calling the shots in rte regarding production and direction of both the programs and the station as a whole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If there's a replay will it be next weekend? Cheers

Dont think there will be a replay. Extra time to be played if its a draw after 70 minutes and I presume it then goes to penalties after that if its still a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

I've a feeling Galway will do it. Not 100% sold on Kerry yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Don't mind it. Plenty of lugs in Gaillimh too whose main focus is seeing Mayo lose. Plenty of us too that shout for Mayo as soon as we're out.

Thanks for the good wishes

Only a replay of a draw after extra time . Would be in a fortnight.

Why are you comparing galway to mayo so much? If mayo are rubbish, what is to be gained by the comparison?

As for embarrassing the province, big game on sunday... A decade making those comments on the opposition back benches might be coming home to haunt you.

Re your tradition of great gaa teams, maybe you should consider actually turning up to support them now and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

10 years almost at the top has made ye the laughing stock of the GAA landscape.

I've been through years of almost at the top as a Limerick fan and none of it compared to 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭munster87

That Connolly attempt from the sideline was absolutely brainless before Cillian’s point.

Advertisement