Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another parade, disruption in the city.

• 16-07-2022 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

I’m not interested in the ins and outs of the pride, the q+ etc. What I have an issue with is the disruption they are causing business owners in the city.

Can this pride community have one parade, one disruption.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

It's time they got over themselves, how much equality does one group need, we've reached peak privilege at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

I don’t mind whatever issues they have or whatever they seem to be bothering them but causing disruption to a city centre once again after disruption a few weekends back is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

From what I can gather the F&B general retail businesses did well out of it. Trans people eat, drink and buy clothes too!!

Do you have a business that was affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Yes property maintenance. We operate within 1 hour call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They're not the same people. And they're not the only two parades in recent weeks either. Dublin is a pretty accessible city, with lots of alternative routes, and the parades are managed by the Gardai, I really don't see your problem.

• Advertisement

Right, so I can't imagine your business was affected that badly, 12 noon to 3pm with plenty of alternative routes. Minimum impact really.

The farmers protest however must have really screwed you up, blocking the M50 and gridlocking the city for hours, I'm sure you were on boards.ie posting about them when that went on because, as you claim, you're not interested in the ins & outs of pride parades just the disruption these protests cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's par for the course in a city.

Organised parades and protests happen all the time.

As long as there is no unnecessary disruption I don't have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dublin;s got some of the worst congestion in Europe, combined with one of the most awkward public transport system - accesible is not the word I'd use.

And therein lies the probem: a small hiccup like a parade or a protest and the entire city suffers from the knock-on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Small, Garda managed parade, on a Saturday lasting three hours.

I don't think the entire city suffered. In fact from what I hear from retailers, the opposite happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah that to the OP :) - I wasn't in the city!

Was speaking generally.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Maybe if media both social and mainstream just shut up about it and let them have their parade it wouldn't seem as intrusive, it's all over the place and I'm not just talking about the lqbtq crowd either, everyone has a right to protest or parade themselves but usually its all blown out of proportion with the organisers telling us there's 3 thousand at it and gardai telling us 300 turned up, nobody gives a fcuk really, I think years of feeling oppressed eventually turns into an attention deficit that's hard to fill, they'll get tired of it when the media eventually starts failing to cover it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Small parades or not, every one of them through the city centre causes knock-on problems for the bus service across the city.

They inevitably block virtually each bus route through the city centre for varying degrees of time.

That in turn means delays and curtailments/cancellations to later departures.

I have a funny feeling OP is a Fianna Fail or Fine Gael voter.

Of course, they're not to blame for Dublin's congestion or woeful public transport but a few thousand people gathering for a couple of hours are beyond the pale.

Nonetheless, the number of businesses happy with the thousands of extra people spending their money far outweigh those lamenting it.

Not really. Small parades - small disruption, weekend day, a moving protest with roads blocked temporarily for a few minutes & immediately opened by the gardai as soon as it passed. These are more common than you think, plenty of republican marches are held with similar disruption. Very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Believe me, I have lost count of the number of times bus services have been curtailed / cancelled on Saturday afternoons (particularly on cross-city routes) due to being delayed by some of these demos / parades. It may be only one or two departures in each direction affected, but that’s still someone discommoded to some degree.

The delays may not be obvious to you, but I can assure you that even small parades can cause disruption because drivers and buses aren’t where they ought to be.

One takes it on the chin, but simply looking at the Dublin Bus Twitter feed a while afterwards will tell you about the service adjustments they have to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Didn't this year's Pride cut ties with RTE? I wasn't able to find anywhere to watch it online other than a really bad low quality Youtube stream.

Advertisement