Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,705 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes you are correct about Iran, N. Korea etc. But they are not members of NATO, the subject of the thread.

I said there are two sides, thanks for pointing it out in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There are two sides. One is stacked with the biggest autocratic assholes and terrorists with advisors active on the ground - Trying to tear apart a sovereign state , recognised by the UN, including Ireland by the way.

I know which side I'm not on. You don't. You're a valueless apologist. You only see conflict when you want to see it. And you only find a moral compass when the objects of your political doctrinaire obsession are in the frame, no matter how tangentally.

Once again, the UK is not a party or belligerent to the conflict. Iran have agents, military advisors and their terrorists proxies live on the ground orchestrating and sponsoring attacks. You don't seem all that bothered, and only find your voice when someone like Owen Jones, John Pilger or George Galloway start bleating.

I'm sorry.

If you are supplying arms to keep a conflict going in contravention of your own rules and international ones, you are 'involved'.

Another ridiculous apology.

This is a thread about NATO and I am making a point about a NATO member. If you want to open one on Saudi/Yemen war go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Seeing as Ireland are allies of Germany, does that mean that in Francie's World, we have already joined NATO?

No supplying arms does not make one a belligerent in a conflict. Otherwise, Sweden would have been a belligerent in conflicts the world over. And you know that's bullsh*t. But you're happy to keep peddling it.

I'm going to stop you right there, because YOU brought up Yemen (own it, because you won't be let away with scuttling away on this point). You're in full on retreat because you're out of your depth again.

Don't make a bold face liar out of yourself besides everything else.

• Advertisement

YOU said they were 'belligerents'....JESUS H CHRIST!

I said they were involved in keeping a conflict going.

And I brought up the Saudi/Yemen war in a point about the UK, a NATO member supplying arms to one side of that war. I MADE no comment on the rights or wrongs of that war. YOU decided to spin my opinion on that to have another ineffectual diversionary rant.

Now you're making a liar of yourself Francie. You brought up Yemen, and I'm going to make you own it. You're trying to scuttle off because you find yourself in deep waters again.

The UK is perfectly entitled to sell arms to Saudi Arabia. It does not make them a party to the conflict in any legal sense no more than a country running Swedish Gripen fighters makes Sweden a party to any conflict.

Your world values would have Yemen ran by Hezbollah with the black hand of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and North Korea doing a jig in Pyongyang. And you know what? You actually wouldn't give a f*ck. In fact there's a good chance you'd actually celebrate it.

By the way, you've moved your dancing on the head of a pin to another stance.

You're gone from "always causing conflict"...

to now saying...

"keeping conflict going"

Neither are true, but there's a material difference in your linguistic retreat. And epistemologically, you're on ridiculous crumbling ground.

Because it has nothing to do with the value of the North Atlantic Treaty, which has proven it's worth in securing the European peace and keeping autocratic sh*tbags in their box over the 20th and 21st centuries now.

I commented on the UK, a member of NATO supplying arms against rules.

YOU spun an opinion of that war for me and had a rant.

Against what rules? You clearly haven't read the court judgement. As sovereign nation, the UK is perfectly entitled to licence arms exports. Just as Ireland does.

The following comes directly from the UK Court of Appeal judgement:

"The decision of the court today does not mean that licences to export arms to Saudi Arabia must immediately be suspended. CAAT did not ask for such an order. It does mean that the UK government must reconsider the matter, must make the necessary assessments about past episodes of concern, allowing for the fact that, in some cases, it will not be possible to reach a conclusion. The government must then estimate the future risks in light of their conclusions about the past."

Arms exports to Saudi Arabia remain perfectly legal under UK and international law. And that's a matter of legal fact despite what you heard from Owen Jones, George Galloway or An Phoblacht.

• Advertisement

Now your are just being sinister and not linking to a source for that because you know that is a judgement on the 2019 court case and that it is down for appeal.

UK arms sales back on trial

On 26 October 2020 CAAT filed a new Judicial Review application into the legality of the UK government’s decision to renew arms sales to the Saudi-led coalition that is bombing Yemen.

On 20 April 2021 CAAT was granted permission for its legal challenge to proceed to the High Court. The hearing is expected to be held some time in 2022.

Background

The government has refused to stop arms sales to Saudi Arabia, despite overwhelming evidence of violations of International Humanitarian Law in Yemen.

Since 2015, bombing by the Saudi-led coalition has targeted schools and hospitals, food supplies, weddings and funerals, with UK weapons playing a central role.

UK rules prohibit exports in such circumstances, but the government refuses to stop the sales. Instead, the government has done everything it can to maintain its relationship with Saudi Arabia, the UK’s biggest arms customer.

Given the evidence we have heard and the volume of UK-manufactured arms exported to Saudi Arabia, it seems inevitable that any violations of international humanitarian and human rights law by the coalition have involved arms supplied from the UK. This constitutes a breach of our own export licensing criteria.

Parliament’s International Development and Business, Innovation and Skills Committees, Sept 2016

Stopping arms sales

CAAT’s first Judicial Review was formally launched in March 2016. More that three years later, on 20 June 2019, the Court of Appeal ruled in CAAT’s favour. It found that it was ‘irrational and therefore unlawful’ for the Secretary of State for International Trade to have granted licences for the export of arms to Saudi Arabia for use in Yemen without making any assessment as to whether violations of International Humanitarian Law had taken place.

As a result of this landmark decision, the government was ordered to retake all decisions to export arms to Saudi Arabia in accordance with the law and to stop issuing new arms export licences to Saudi Arabia. The government applied the same restrictions to licences to its coalition partners, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait and Egypt, for use in Yemen.

As a result of our action, hundreds of millions of pounds of arms sales to the Saudi-led coalition were put on hold.

Government resumption

However the government refused to accept the Court of Appeal judgment and was granted permission to appeal to the Supreme Court. This case was due to be heard in November 2020.

Then, on 7 July 2020, the Secretary of State for International Trade Liz Truss issued a written statement to Parliament. She said the government had completed the review ordered by the Court of Appeal, and had determined that any violations of international law were “isolated incidents”.

The government would therefore resume issuing new licences for arms sales for use in Yemen: “clearing the backlog of licence applications for Saudi Arabia and its coalition partners.”

Our action continues

We are appalled by this decision. This conclusion is not compatible with the evidence – and it is astonishing that the government could conclude that such licences could comply with the UK’s export licensing criteria. In other ways this is no surprise – the government has done all it can to maintain business as usual, whatever atrocities the Saudi-led coalition has committed.

On 26 October 2020 CAAT filed a new Judicial Review application into the legality of the UK government’s decision to renew arms sales to the Saudi-led coalition that is bombing Yemen.

On 20 April 2021 CAAT was granted permission for its challenge to proceed to the High Court.  Once again we must fight this, until we stop these sales once and for all.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CAAT-v-Secretary-of-State-and-Others-Open-12-June-2019.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjEyI-p64z5AhXNgVwKHQccASQQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3n1zEGvjD2exsyLglgpwq5

Read it and weep. Don't dare try to infer I'm a liar again. You may be content to lie but other people have higher standards.

What I quoted above is directly taken from the text above and is the nexus of the verdict.

UK arms sales to Saudi are perfectly legal under British and international law and it's there for you in in black and white.

Read it, weep. You're quoting from a press release from the sandal wearers in CAAT, I'm quoting verbatim from the court's judgement.

Your link says that the UK is currently allowed to export arms to Saudi Arabia and has complied with the law in doing so.

Some NGO disputes this and is bringing a case, but the arms exports are going ahead. Yurt2 is correct on this and you have once again dug yourself an almighty hole to be buried in.

It from the 2019 court case. CAAT have been given leave to challenge on the grounds that the UK is breaking it's own rules and that Truss is ignoring evidence.

Read and weep yourself.

On 20 April 2021 CAAT was granted permission for its challenge to proceed to the High Court.  Once again we must fight this, until we stop these sales once and for all.

...and it remains to be seen if it is legal or is Truss lying on behalf of the government.

Given leave to challenge????

Is you name really John Waters or Gemma Doherty? They were given leave to challenge Covid restrictions? How did they get on?

The hole gets deeper.

Leave to appeal is not a judgement. That's legal illiteracy and you'll have to try to get that past someone else. You're wrong in totality. The Court of Appeal affirmed that arms exports to Saudi are perfectly lawful.

I'll post it again so you can read it again. You were dead wrong in what you posted, and you'll be made own it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CAAT-v-Secretary-of-State-and-Others-Open-12-June-2019.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjEyI-p64z5AhXNgVwKHQccASQQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3n1zEGvjD2exsyLglgpwq5

They have broken their own rules blanch, even the House of Lords have accepted that. They have secured 'legality' because Truss has ignored the evidence of what is going on in Yemen and the rules.

That is currently being challenged.

Go you, siding with this

No, they "secured legality" because the UK Court of Appeal affirmed the exports' lawfulness. And it's there for you in black in white. You don't get to turn the words of the UK Court upside down because you're getting hockeyed on facts.

Stop making sh*t up. You won't get away with it.

• Advertisement

And the people who challenged are challenging Trusses obvious bullshit. It's an ongoing case.

Just because it is retros[pectively made 'legal' does not for a second mean that the rule wasn't broken.

Gwan and read the material and come back and tell us that you honestly think no rules were broken.

Serious question, do you have reading comprehension difficulties? Because if you don't, you're fundamentally dishonest.

You can read Francie, I know that much. The Court of Appeal judgement is there in black and white. Arms export licenses to Saudi are 100 percent lawful.

Do you still in spite of the evidence maintain they didn't break any rules?

Because I hate to say this, that is an outright lie. They (Liz Truss) admitted to doing it.

Liz Truss admitted to what? You're making sh*t up Francie. The Foreign Office was mandated by the Court of Appeal to conduct assessments and they conducted assessments.

FYI, if you think Truss wrote that statement you're more clueless than I thought. Civil Servants wrote it and she read it out. If you think for a second Foreign Office officials go around issuing statements admitting to 'breaking rules' (as you put it) off the back of Court of Appeal directions you don't have the first clue about the world. And the statement was an affirmation they followed the Court's directions. The precise opposite of what you posted. The directions were from same court that affirmed the lawfulness of arms export licences.

You're seriously naiive. You read something from an interest group and take it as fact without engaging your grey matter whatsoever.

Francie, you're out of road. Over the past dozen pages, you've been caught out so many times. I've never seen a poster collapse their reputation as a credible contributor in such a spectacular fashion.

Deep waters don't suit you. Stick to the shallow end where the anti-everything front agree with you wholesale - and then you all go off hit the peace pipe convinced you're the righteous ones.

More invective and little substance.

She admitted they broke the rules an unknown amount of times. Here's Liz herself saying it.

This is a country that has zero issue, threatening to break international law or ignoring the UN court, or ignoring it's own court (see above) and would sell arms to a two year old if it could.

We haven't even looked at what the US is at either. There lies the same sort of fast and loose gaming of the law.

It would be helpful if you read the article.

Here's what we are talking about:

- fuel guages to Jordan (licences unused and revoked after departmental review)

- A repair contract for IED detection equipment (licence unused and revoked)

- Radio parts (before the court's decision was known, also revoked)

All were picked up by department officials while the exports were suspended pending assessments which would allow for the resumption of completely lawful exports.

This is what you're losing your sh*t over. Not a single deadly item in the bunch. And all licence issuance errors were picked up by officials.

Arms sales resumed in mid-2020 following the appropriate assesment procedures as recommended by the court.

The notion that international law was and is being broken by the sales is completely false (and not even the Guardian article states that).

And by the way there was no UN Court judgement on any of this, you made that up. What you had was a UN panel of appointees producing a report. That's not a court Francie.

I didn't say there was a UN ruling on this WILL YOU STOP MISREPRESENTING.

I said:

This is a country that has zero issue, threatening to break international law or ignoring the UN court, or ignoring it's own court (see above) and would sell arms to a two year old if it could.

Threatening to break international law refers to the NI Protocol Bill, ignoring the UN Court refers to them refusing to recognise the court in the ruling on the Chagos Islands, ignoring it's own courts refers to Liz Truss admitting to breaches of the rules.

There is nothing I have said that cannot be backed up.

Truss made a declaration to the court and the court ruled what they were doing was 'legal'.

CAAT have challenmged that ruling and say there is evidence to show that they broke the rules and we will await the outcome.

TO get back to the point of all this, there are more than enough grounds to be 'suspicious' of the influence the arms trade have on policy and in keeping conflicts going into which they can sell their products.

Nothing, including your invective and derision has changed my mind on that. You are an apologist for this immoral carry-on and I don't believe for a second you will be able to convince the Irish people to join NATO.

Lol, now you're trying to drag the NI Protocol into the mix. The Chagos islands now. You're all over the f*cking map.

Liz Truss, as much as she's a tool, didn't ignore any rules. Your own link revealed all licence errors were picked up by civil servants. Exports resumed after the court directed assessments were put in place. That's called following the law.

You have been so thoroughly routed it's not even funny. You were dragged into deep waters and you've drowned in your own ignorance.

Suspicions my backside. You're deep in conspiracy land and your Anglophobia is bordering on the mentally ill.

I am making the point as I am entitled to Yurt that it is a country not to be trusted.

You can talk all you want about legality, that issue is NOT sorted out yet and any fool can see that the Saudis are committing war crimes - therefore the UK is breaking it's own rules. Even if it wasn't, the moral implications of what it is doing are hideous.

Now, are you willing to take Ireland into a military alliance with a country like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Everyone knows what this British government is, a bunch of liars and charlatans.

However, that shouldn't prevent us joining a defensive alliance, should we choose.

The British govts have always treated this country with contempt just to varying levels.

Does that mean we can never join certain clubs?

Isn't that the British determining what we can and can't do? That's the logical conclusion of your argument.

Advertisement