Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,331 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That tweet is more relevant in the context of the USAF continued efforts to eliminate the A-10, and get away from the Close Air Support role period. The AF leadership had long been eager to kill the plane, to the point Congress had to step in and mandate they maintain the fleet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well I'll certainly defer to your expertise, but there seems to be at best a mixed response to the idea from what I've read. They are survivable against projectile AA, but the concentration MANPADs etc makes them of questionable usage.

We haven't seen/heard of many SU25s doing strafing runs on armoured targets that I'm aware of? While I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, one doesn't get the impression that they would make a sizeable difference.

Also, the USAF trying so hard to get rid of them doesn't inspire much confidence surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

Great post, that's the key point, putin has over stepped the mark now and there is no going back for him now.

It is telling that putin had to travel to Iran to get an ally ,not China ,it will be interesting to see whether China will entertain Putin at all. Putin went too far even for China

Then Erdoğan keeps putin waiting awkwardly in Iran, in other words he sees that he is in a more powerful position than putin because he has options where putin doesn't.

When lukashenko now talking about the need to end the war he sees the writing on the wall with the arrival of more advanced western weapons. Even though Putin still talking about escalation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Occupation authorities in parts of Donetsk region decided to block Google services

Im sure google are worried, serious hit to their customer base

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The scenario is beginning to smell quite different now.

The dominos will begin to fall from Kherson eastwards I expect.

Putin should be buried alive with the severed limbs of Ukrainian children.

He has been expertly "frog boiled" and he knows it.

It seems he was "given" the Donbas Region to "knock himself out".

Perhaps it would be advantageous to introduce Western military personnel now, in a civil engineering capacity ???

Obviously, the above suggestion is intended as a "toe in the water" towards militarily bolstering Ukrainian territory.

Putin's Achille's heel is his inability to appreciate that focused tech. is undermining flailing rage.

Finally, his Kremlin support group should be aware by now of where the "Putin Bus" is headed (I deliberately choose "headed" over "heading").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

"Ugly but well-hung" is how A-10 pilots describe it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

The Russians need to hurry up and invent the air fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

Since that time, things have changed due to climate change / global warming. Russian winters are not any longer as severe as they were back during the 2nd world war, or even further back in Napoleons time. I was speaking to a Russian friend last winter before this all kicked off, and we talked about places we had visited in the past, one place in particular, El Brus in Southern Russia. Its the highest mountain point in Continental Europe, and even in Summer, its peaks are snow covered. And during winter when I was there, it was heavy snow on all the approach roads, from 20 / 30 miles away. But not any more. Now you have to actually get to the foothills around the mountain before you meet snow. Not saying that its not cold there, it is and still has freezing temps. but not like it was even a few years ago. Neither Hitler or Napoleon would have met the same problems now that they met back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

For many years, Putin has had numerous personalities in public. About 12 years back I commented in a US publication that he showed signs of being under sedatives. on another occasion, he looked petrified during an OPEC meeting when he was left standing on his own unattended for a few minutes in a doorway. On another occasion still, he seemed to be struggling to stand up and did not appear to be able to speak. In short, he is one heck of an odd fellow to figure out. Unless of course, he has a number of doppelgangers doing the rounds. as someone else suspects again he is following the training manual and acting the whole time.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think we know the EU will take a very different view to Germany having to take their medicine than they did for lesser countries

In related news: Get that gas turned back on or we might stop supporting Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So they may stop promising stuff they then roll back on and don't deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

You make it sound like a threat, it was a statement of fact (EDIT: belief, not fact) that they would be UNABLE to help Ukraine as they would be dealing with an uprising. There is enough reasons to criticise Germany without inventing ones or implying things that weren't said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is basically accurate. As I said earlier, the die is cast on the outcome of this war, and it's now a matter of when not if it ends in Ukraine's favour. There will be pain involved before it reaches endgame, but it's now a matter of staying the course for the West and Ukraine. That's why we have interspersals of foghorning about a stronk rouble or as yet unseen hypersonic megaweapons - because Russia is trying to peacock and make itself bigger and badder than it is in the face of an inevitable strategic and battlefield defeat.

The only thing that can radically change the course of the war in Putin's favour is the use of tactical nuclear weapons, and as malignant as the circle around Putin is, I strongly suspect the midget will get a bullet in his temple if he gives that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the use of HIMARS has shifted momentum. Up until then, Russia was arguably 'ahead on points' in the long war of attrition, but the new system appears to have caused havoc to their weapons supply lines and seriously disrupted their war effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Wait until the some of the posters who were cackling and clapping like seals about Mariupol being razed suddenly turn into doves squeeling for peace talks as the Russians start hurtling back towards their border.

It's going to be an amusing phase of this thread. Names will be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Good analysis Yurt.

But the effects of increased fuel costs/shortages on western Europe is an unknown and might, directly or indirectly, force compromise on the Ukranians.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Russia’s Hilariously Bad Excuses for Why Everything Sucks

That’s the biggest problem for Putin, Russia and its ingrained culture of corruption, no amount of propaganda and reality distortion can change the facts on ground that whole society is rotten and corrupt to its core, which manifests itself in broken logistics, substandard steel (sanctions since 2014 didn’t help) that causes artillery barrels to explode, stolen parts and equipment (uk somehow found 50000 Soviet shells somewhere)

The Putininst system can’t change this problem as it’s build on corruption at every level feeding up to top.

This ain’t a new development either, just abit over 100 years ago Russia faced similar problems which led to its defeat in ww1 and revolution despite having largest army in Europe, Putin is afraid to mobilise because the was mobilised troops in main cities who fuelled the revolution

edit: (unconfirmed) news of 2000 Russians stuck in a pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭yagan

One the other hand less permafrost can mean more swamp to get bogged down in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

To survive in Russia, you have to be part of the system, and that means corrupt too,,it makes criminal's of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Meanwhile, Skabayeva is convinced the western coalition is falling apart and that Scholz will be the next person forced out of office. This is strangely reminiscent of Nazi propaganda towards the end of the war, which was convinced that Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin would have a massive falling out, to Germany's advantage.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I'm doubtful. German foreign minister Annalena Baerbock stated it as still being in production, with a delivery timeframe of "before the end of the summer". That's still fast for a brand-new multi-component SAM system, but it's not quite there yet. They're probably already training the operating crews for it though, so maybe some wires got crossed there.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The threat from MANPADS if overstated would make the battlefield a no-fly-zone for aircraft, though obviously that is not the case as we still see them being used.

I don't think anti-armor is the goal here. Ukraine has plenty enough anti-armor weapons which seem to be doing a reasonable job as it is. However, it's like in WW2, the P47 and Typhoon had reputations for being tank-killers which were utterly undeserved. They were, however, fantastic for destroying the support assets, targets of opportunity. They also had a notable morale effect on both the receiving unit even if no damage was taken, and of the friendly unit watching the attack, which gave them a bit more willingness to take the fight to the enemy. If the Russians are no longer attacking forward without the preliminary barrages, it's not the front-line heavy armor which needs destroying, it's the units further in the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russian military column destroyed near Lysychansk

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We'll have some more of that please. Although I'd love to know exactly what was hit.

All Eyes On Rafah

Russia must not be worried at all about NATO (well it was a bullshit justification for the war anyways for gullible lefties)

Russian forces conducted a few limited and highly localized ground attacks on July 21. The current Russian operational tempo is not markedly different from what it was during the officially declared operational pause between July 7 and July 16. Russian forces continued to conduct minor attacks throughout that period to the northwest of Slovyansk and around the Siversk and Bakhmut areas without capturing any decisive ground.Since July 16, Russian troops have continued local attacks to the east of Siversk as well as east and south of Bakhmut; they have not made any major territorial gains in these areas as of July 21. The Russian grouping northwest of Slovyansk has in fact conducted fewer ground attacks along the Kharkiv-Donetsk Oblast border than it did during the official operational pause. The lack of successful ground attacks beyond the Slovyansk, Siversk, and Bakhmut areas is consistent with ISW’s assessment that the Russian offensive is likely to culminate without capturing Slovyansk or Bakhmut.

Ukraine’s Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported on July 21 that Russian troops have used up to 55-60% of Russia’s pre-war reserve of high-precision missiles.GUR spokesperson Vadym Skibitksy specified that these high-precision missiles include Kh-101, Kh-555, Iskander, and Kalibr systems, which he stated Russian forces have been using less frequently, partially due to the effect of Western sanctions on the availability of needed components for high-precision systems.On the other hand, Ukrainian forces have recently acquired an influx of Western-provided high-precision systems such as high mobility artillery rocket systems (HIMARS), which they are using to a more decisive effect than the Russians have been achieving with their precision systems. Russian forces will likely continue to employ their reserves of lower-precision Soviet weapons systems, but the decisiveness of these strikes, compared to the impact of Ukrainian HIMARS strikes, is likely to remain limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Very positive news, how good would it be if they neglect other regions and lose them.

" We not stupid, we decide to envoke our right to enjoy standing in corners with cone hats on "

Some Russian soldiers refuses to fight,and are treated like s..t for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement