Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Is this the photo clips of her at the back of a blue 211 reg Suzuki swift on a rural road in the West of Ireland?

When she waved at the truck driver , lucks like he had an accident off road

Post edited by kravmaga on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Someone posted here that they've given up any hope that government policy is going to change and has just decided to sit back and enjoy watching what a mess the country will soon be in.Have to say I've come around to that viewpoint myself. O Gorman will no doubt be soon sending out tweets in various languages advising what an asylum friendly country we are to encourage more asylum seekers.

The numbers from Ukraine will no doubt increase as word gets out what generous benefits we're offering. Students will be told that only online education is available as Ukranians have taken over student accommodation and theres no where else for them to go. Schools will be creaking and parents will be told theres no places available for their children. GP lists will be full unless you're from Ukraine. Meanwhile as the country spends a fortune looking after our new arrivals you'll see local services such as home carers hours cut. Businesses reliant on tourism will disappear as tourism accommodation disappears. Small towns will find their population increase largely comprising young men with nothing to do.There will have to be a tipping point at some stage when the general population realises what a sh1thole the country has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I spoke to a Ukrainian women in my local leisure centre who is with 200 others staying in third-level student accommodation. Prior to this they stayed in a community hall.

They said they have to be gone by 20th August as students return in September.

She said that her and her elderly mother are contemplating a return to Kyiv as they do not want to stay in a tent.

Their house is still intact and her father stayed behind to look after it.

She then asked me why Ireland is taking in so many refugees as its only making the situation worse for those refugees that are already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

Yeah that's the one. I didn't see a video though, but now I want too. The guy just had pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

That's actually a very sensible decision, I'll just say this, who monitors this in Hotels, Hotels will be quite happy to be paid for empty rooms, infact thrilled, notwithstanding they don't want to be troubled with room change overs, it's terribly inconvenient.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I meant to say photos not a video,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They don’t want to actually help them just look like they are. It’s all about looking good rather than helping. Just like that woman that took the group of kids from Ukraine and expected other people to look after them and pay for it. Take the credit and swan off. She might drop back for a photo op to remind everyone about how good she is but only if it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

I wonder what will happen if Ukranians refuse to leave student accommodation? Its not as if anyone will have the balls to throw them out. As others have said its going to be an absolute **** show in a month.

Everyone with a bit of sense predicted what this would turn into but as usual the Irish government was too busy with their magical thinking to think about any kind of practicality

• Advertisement

Seems that over the last 48 hours the media have really turned on our approach (or lack thereof)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I have an email from Daragh O Brien telling me this wouldn't happen when O Gormans madcap welcome all scheme was announced. He said there would no effect on housing stock

Hed hardly lie would he...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

It would be lovely to be in the position to be able to sit back and watch the sh*t show go down if you are at a place in life and settled but we are renting and the last few months things have really started to go downhill with our landlord, there is literally nowhere to move to, I'm awake every night wondering what will happen if he decides to evict us,

Another angle is a few years ago I left an abusive partner, the only way it was possible was finding a place to rent and move to, I would hate to be In that position now, and there are people all over the country in some kind of dire strait and not able to get out of the black hole because things are not going to improve any time soon, just wait for back to school for problems to escalate.

Just echoing what's been said where the hell will all these people go after the week in the tents? They are renovating a local hotel here for another batch of refugees but there isn't an endless supply of hotels 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Ukrainians wanting to go home for holidays & keep their hotel room here, heard it all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Zero Ukranians or Asulym seekers should get social housing over those on existing lists.

Makes a mockery of the whole system (which is a shambles as it is). We really need to make social housing work for workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Apologies if I came across as selfish with my views. I’m a single parent too, working , no government assistance at all. I am barely keeping my head about the water either.

hope things work out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They will only be entitled to jobseekers allowance which is means tested. So if they have an income in the family, it will be effected

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The comment of the hotelier in east Wicklow talking about requests “to hold rooms as they made trips back home to Ukraine” are simply insane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Absolutely not. He's an honest broker, indeed he's out standing in his field 😂

Not at all you're grand I probably sound cranky myself but it seems like that a lot lately 😁 I would happily sell a few limbs to be granted a mortgage but it's just too out of reach always renting is all I see in the future, I wonder if refugees start skipping queues for free houses will things boil over, they never seem to in this country,

if I was younger with no kids I would be away abroad and I imagine that's what my teens will be looking into in a few years 😏

• Advertisement

And good luck to welfare trying to establish and investigate all that. Possibly in Ukrainian.

The “entitlement” to welfare needs to end immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

"Hold the rooms"... i can't believe, they actually dare to ask that.

In the village down the road, the local initiative group organizes day trips for the Ukrainians that are staying in the local hotel. there was a coffee morning, a fundraiser, a farmers' market bucket for collection, you name it. When asked what this money actually is for and why it is needed (as prior to that, there was a big local collection to get all the clothes, toiletries, phones, etc In the due course the community was notified that the Ukrainians said they don't want any second hand things, only new - as in brand new with tags), it was said, something like: Ah, sure they'll spend it on something...

What good is that? It's just stupid. Wanna do good? Go around local lonely elder people, ask who needs a drop of oil for the winter and a bit of company once in a while. Or at least check and see if the people are in real need for something, instead of just throwing money at them. Sure, what am I talking about - our government is doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭pauly58

I'm really struggling to see our Governments rationale behind the whole business.

As Dempo1 said, is it all a somewhat naïve scheme to fill the vacancies in hospitality : possibly.

Is it just a show to Europe in an attempt to secure a few Commissioners jobs for the boys.

Or is it just plain stupidity & incompetence, I must admit my money is on the latter.

They are so far out of touch with reality & what is happening on the ground they really don't know or accept there is bugger all housing . They & their families all have private health care, so waiting lists, what waiting lists ?

One thing is certain though, past Governments have dropped almighty bollocks but this is going to be the worst by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

We’ve ended up with a place that is somehow on both the leading edge and lagging far behind

Fintan O'Toole Sat Jul 16 2022 - 06:00

Imagine, for a moment, that you are a naive traveller from a normal western European country. You know nothing about Ireland except that it is a rich country with a booming economy. You arrive at the airport. You ask politely where the station is, as you can’t see the signs for the train to the city. Amid bitter laughter, you are told that there might be one along in 2034. You are pointed towards the long queue for an expensive taxi.

After you get into the city you catch the train to Galway. You wait for the trolley to come so you can buy a cup of coffee, a bottle of water, a sandwich. A kindly fellow passenger puts you out of your misery by informing you that there is no trolley and no cafe car, that in this strange country we can’t get our act together to serve food or drink on trains.

And these are just relatively trivial first impressions. If you really got to know the place you would find, for example, that it might be impossible to get a basic education for your son with special needs, or that there is no accessible public psychiatric service for your daughter with mental health problems.

No metro or underground system even in the capital city; raw sewage still being pumped into the sea at many places along the coast; an electricity grid that is struggling to keep up with ordinary demand

You might then ask: is this a developed country at all? And the best answer we natives could give you is a convoluted one: that Ireland has managed to become both overdeveloped and undeveloped without ever being quite developed.

Over the last three decades Ireland has received a staggering €1.1 trillion in investment from abroad, mostly from the US. This is great, and I’m not suggesting that we don’t want it. But it is “overdevelopment” relative to the nature of Ireland itself. It is a Ferrari on a boreen.

We’ve plonked a hyper-globalised economy on top of a starkly undeveloped society. We’ve ended up with a place that is both on the leading edge and lagging far behind.

The underdevelopment is partly physical: no metro or underground system even in the capital city; raw sewage still being pumped into the sea at many places along the coast; an electricity grid that is struggling to keep up with ordinary demand, let alone a projected boom in data centres; a critical shortage of both public and private housing; a ranking for digital connectivity of 23rd out of 28 EU countries.

It’s also obvious in public services. Given that Ireland has so much catching up to do to reach European levels of development, we ought to be spending much more on public services than other countries in the EU. We actually spend a lot less.

Hence, we still have some primitive practices in basic social services. Ireland is, so far as I know, the only “developed” country where primary education is not, in practice, free. Likewise, Ireland is the only country in western Europe that does not offer universal free access to primary medical care. And Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the world for childcare.

Or, if you think about the broader functioning of the State, it must be astonishing to most Europeans that we are a maritime nation that doesn’t even have a functioning navy. And a learned nation without a vaguely adequate national archives or national library.

Why is this? How can Ireland be at once so hyper-developed and so underdeveloped?

The answer, I think, lies in both social attitudes and political culture.

At the level of society, Ireland is underdeveloped because the State has always been careful to ensure that those who are prospering can buy their way out of many of the deficits. Bluntly, we have been very good at making underdevelopment tolerable for the middle classes.

We are so used to crisis management that we treat success as if it were an unexpected emergency. Which in essence is what it becomes

If you don’t depend on public transport, we have excellent motorways. If you are worried about the lack of access to public healthcare, we have a burgeoning system of private provision. If you can afford to send your kids to fee-paying schools, it doesn’t greatly matter to you that Ireland ranks 23rd of 36 members of the OECD for expenditure per pupil at both primary and secondary level.

These opt-outs have been highly effective in ensuring that the most vocal and best connected parts of society have not felt it necessary to demand universal services that would match Ireland’s level of economic progress. This, in turn, has sustained a political culture characterised by short-termism and smugness.

The great argument in favour of having, as Ireland has had for a century, a political system in which one or other of two near-identical centre-right parties is always in power is continuity. It should at least be easy to make plans for development over the long term when you know that the overall direction of policy is not going to change.

Yet things have not worked like this. The absence of large-scale ideological challenge created not continuity but complacency.

And while we have not had wild swings of ideology in government, we have had wild swings in investment. For all the boosterism that has infused the rhetoric of Irish politics, there has actually been an underlying pessimism: why plan for good times when you know in your heart they won’t last?

The actual experience of the process of development since the revolution launched by T.K. Whitaker and Séan Lemass in 1958 is not like the steady climbing of a ladder from darkness into light. It has been a merry-go-round in which boom and gloom have come round in circles: the good 1960s and early 1970s followed by the awful 1980s; the Celtic Tiger followed by the great crash.

Government has thus tended to be manic-depressive. When the tide is flowing, money is squandered on pet projects and electoral bribes. When it is ebbing, the tap is abruptly shut off. Plans — like those reannounced yet again last week for the Dublin Metro — are made, shelved, remade, shelved again.

It is as if our rulers have never really had faith in their own boasts. They have been unable fully to believe that Ireland is on a trajectory of long-term growth in which the workforce has doubled in size and the population is finally recovering from the disasters of the 19th century.

This is what makes the place so strange. We have extraordinary technological, educational and demographic expansion but, weirdly, not the political confidence that should come with them.

We can’t plan for all this growth in advance — we have to wait for it to happen and then try, frantically, to manage it. We are so used to crisis management that we treat success as if it were an unexpected emergency. Which in essence is what it becomes.

Another word for developed might be maturity. The State still has the growing pains of an adolescent. At 100 years old it really ought to be mature enough to plan for its own future.

Have to laugh at this self righteous smug Toole box in some level- the big fanny was screaming for covid lockdowns for two years- that’s why the trolley service on the train was suspended. The lack of self awareness of the covid/climate/open borders cult is stupefying

The things is that most people who do stuff for the ‘feels’ only like it when it’s really easy,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Honestly that is difficult to read, that article should have been written 10 years ago but let's bring it up now as we are about to enter recession where there will be 0 chance of government investing in infrastructure projects. A clickbait/attention seeking article.

Where was that idiot several years ago? Ahh it wouldn't be as controversial then, got it.

You’re right in what you say, but it doesn’t invalidate its truthfulness

I have heard locally of certain groups of Ukrainians being barred from local pubs for fighting. I suppose they have too much time and money on their hands!!! :/

A certain tourist town in very south Donegal, just to say!

• Advertisement

I'm in Donegal myself and we got a bunch of alcoholics, must be something about Donegal we've ended up with the mad lot 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement