Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2022-23 - mod note in OP 12/03/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Yes. Some tool in England who defended Greenwood's right to anonymity did a "name and shame" yesterday but got buried as a hypocrite. The player he named is actually in another country currently as part of a pre-season tour with his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Yes that was embarrassing behaviour as well but more than one thing can be embarrassing you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

For someone who says he loves Man U so much, he has a habit of wanting to leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ronaldo loves many things however he loves nothing more (at least from a sporting perspective) than himself and his brand, that's always been paramount and part of why he has reached the highest echelons of the game that he has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He really should be gone at this stage. Whatever issue he has, pre-season training has begun and it is not good for the club not to know whether their top scorer and idol of a generation is going to be there or not.

I think it would be better for United if he does in fact go. They really are at a croosroads and I don't think Ronaldo seems himself as part of the setup for the future. Maybe he simply wants to know what other clubs would take him. Would PSG take the chance? Messi, Neymar, Mbappe and Ronaldo together for a year? New manager comes in and signs Ronaldo straight away would be a PSG kind of thing to do. Couldn't see him fitting in there but you never know.

United's formation and who plays where will be interesting if he does in fact go. Not sure they will get in a first team starter so a juggling of positions might actually revitalise the likes of Bruno, Sancho and Rashford. Those 3 in particular, if they got a new lease of life, could make a real difference if they got back to playing the kind of ball they are capable of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mainz fans calling for the friendly against Newcastle to be ditched because of the abhorrent human rights offences committed by Saudi Arabia. We've seen some Newcastle fans saying fans of PL clubs expressing similar revulsion at the SA regime are just worried about NU "breaking up the big boys party" so what's the problem that Mainz have considering NU has no bearing on their footballing position whatsoever?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d94b0664-fc58-11ec-ab20-2fd534744dd7?shareToken=138e95968445297b3ed03f4e1a9638c5

Some Mainz fans not all as your comment suggests and German football fandom has always had a political element to it. I'm sure there will be plenty of Mainz fans at the match.

Ok so, I'll rephrase. We've seen some Newcastle fans saying fans of PL clubs expressing similar revulsion at the SA regime are just worried about NU "breaking up the big boys party" so what's the problem that those group of Mainz fans have considering NU has no bearing on their footballing position whatsoever?

I presume those Mainz fans are opposed to partial state ownership of football clubs particularly ones with Saudis record so I believe their claims of opposition to same being far more genuine( though I suspect they still watch/use the services of other business PIF have invested in) than fans of the English clubs particularly the top 6 whose opposition IMO is based more on the fact that Newcastle are now a threat than a genuine opposition to sports washing.

The nonsense being propagated by fans of rival clubs is that Newcastle fans who just want to follow their team are responsible for the Saudi states actions or that we should stop following our team because of who the owner is not a genuine opinion its a stick to beat rival fans with.

I remember the Saudis being linked with Man UTD and I don't recall any protests or objections in fact the vast majority of Man Utd fans were welcoming of the prospect just as the vast majority of Newcastle fans are. We all know Anfield Old Trafford etc would still be full if the Saudis were owners its the disingenuous and smug attempt by rival fans to pretend that they are somehow more righteous/moral than Newcastle fans that really annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Richarlison gets a one match ban for throwing a flare into fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

He did not throw it into fans, threw into an empty area/section

Fairly lenient suspension for Richarlison. But then these things seem to be determined on a whim, maybe there should be some sort or standard ban for throwing something into the stands? As much to protect players as anything from potential police action.

Not one person has said NU fans are responsible for SA's crimes or that they should stop following club. Speaking from my own perspective only, Ive not seen a single NU fan say anything negative about the new ownership, all Ive seen, and you are absolutely included in this, is NU fans licking their lips at the new found wealth and the prospect of winning a few trophies. The fact that the new owners of NU are guilty of persecuting gay people

treating women like second class citizens

and a litany of other human rights violations

and it doesnt seem to raise so much as an eyebrow among fans is something that I personally find really disgusting. Support the club absolutely but call out the despicable conduct of the regime. If the Kinihan cartel or similar bought the club would fans be so accepting? Probably not but only because they are actual criminals in the eyes of the law where as SA are morally criminal but set their own standards so not illegal in that sense, even if they would be in any civilised nation in the world.

Newcastle fans excited by the prospect of winning a few trophies?! The ba$tards damn them all to hell! How dare they be more concerned about their football club than some blogger? Isn't that literally the point of supporting a team being excited and hopeful that they might win something?

This debate has been done to death over and over again on this forum and amongst Newcastle fans on twitter IRL etc there's no point going over it again but if it makes you feel any better I'll wear a Norwich scarf to the next Newcastle game I go to as a sign of protest.

To be fair, it's a debate that will continue on here if someone talks about it and rightly so. I don't care what Newcastle fans on twitter etc are on about.

The owners are rather divisive due to their history- that's just a fact. That is not going to change. How people view Newcastle now, might change also, or not.

Either way, yes Newcastle fans will be excited.

But in some ways, the club may have gotten out of the frying pan but into the fire. Or maybe not - depending on your viewpoint.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The issue of sportswashing and how much people want to call oit such items is possibly something that might need to be in its own thread over general premier league thread.

For me I wouldn't expect a poster here who supports Newcastle to answer on behalf of a fanbase. I don't think Newcastle fans should need to reference the moral standards they hold or any difficulties they may/may not have with who owns them or concerns about sportswashing when posting. I wouldn't expect (for example) Arsenal fans to qualify posts here that note any moral issues they have with the role the long standing sponsorship with an airline from Dubai or their sleeve sponsor from Africa in recent times. I am a Man Utd fan and I know they have accepted money from Saudi Arabia, from betting companies which I am very much against but have never posted about my issues with those items in any detail.

I also think it is wrong for fans of clubs to dismiss concerns of others about sportswashing people just worried about another team having money. It is possible for something like this to reach a level that exceeds what people can be expeted to be okay with (sponsorship is a lower level than ownership for example).

Edit: went ahead and set up a thread:

Post edited by DM_7 on

That striker Man City signed scored 6 goals in a game recently! More firepower.

If Sterling goes to Chelsea wonder will they still try and buy Raphina as well?

Big dunc has quit everton a club he has been at for 28 years bar a season and a bit at newcastle and will look to be a manager elsewhere looks like he got fed up always playing second fiddle to and never been given a real chance and looking at the joke that lampard is as a manager who can blame dunc for leaving

• Advertisement

It’s hard for anyone to get a job managing a Premier League club these days without some previous management experience. So let Ferguson head away and get it somewhere. Personally I think he’s too much of a head the ball to be a top a manger. Passion is one thing, but when that seems to be the main thing you are known for then that’s a problem.

It is being reported this evening that the club of the 29 year old International footballer that was arrested eaarlier in the week for rape were aware of the allegations that he commited rape since last autumn and continued to play him.

• Player being investigated by police over three rape allegations
    • Player continued to play for club’s first team last season

The Premier League club of the footballer arrested on Monday on suspicion of rape was made aware of a rape allegation against the player last autumn, the Guardian understands.

The player, who is not being named for legal reasons, continued to play in the first team last season.

The player was taken into custody by the Metropolitan police in the early hours of Monday before being released on bail on Tuesday until August.

A statement from Scotland Yard on Tuesday read: “On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police. It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody.

“While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s. He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in August. Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.”

The club declined to comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For better or worse that’s the norm I presume really? Brighton continued to play Bissouma even after he’d been arrested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Utd immediately suspended Greenwood. City immediately suspended Mendy. Everton immediately suspended and have since released you know who (I don't think his name has ever been officially confirmed so I won't mention it).

There's no official line to take, but I'd hate to see a footballer facing investigation for any kind of serious crime continuing to play for my club. I'd be disgusted with Utd took if Greenwood was still playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Weren't those after arrest though? In this case there were only allegations with the formal arrest only taking place a few days ago. Greenwood might've been before the arrest, but that all happened so fast, and was so public with everyone literally hearing his offences take place, so he was done instantly.

Bissouma is probably an outlier in continuing to play even after arrest (which I agree he probably shouldn't have been allowed to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man City selected Mendy to play for 9 months, without suspension, after he was first arrested and under investigation. It was very well hidden from the media, until the day before he appeared in court.

In fairness Man Utd did suspend Greenwood immediately. The evidence against him was in the public then too, so they had to.

• Advertisement

Kante and loftus cheek will miss chelseas preseason tour of america as they are not allowed into america due to their covid vaccine status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

No responses received... Should I be asking this question in a different thread? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The club in question have not suspended the player since he was arrested last week.

• Advertisement

It is attracting a lot of negative press and comment including from MP's now they'll have to suspend him surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Tough one, as obviously he is innocent until proven guilty, and if suspended it will remove his anonymity. However, if guilty, they deserve everything coming their way!

Ah the anonymity ship has sailed everyone knows who it is. The appropriate thing to do is suspend with full pay and with presumption of innocence IMO.

I am actually very surprised the player was able to get an entry visa to go on pre season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

its no cert he's guilty of anything,we have been here before with footballers,and accusations.

Foden and stones join the list of players not allowed into america due to their vaccine status.

Seems to be a few clubs affected by COVID vaccination status; Chelsea, Man City & Palace have a lot of senior players left at home from their tour.

Clubs really should have planned their summer trips better really, leaving aside the whole vaccination stuff. They knew that some players wouldn't be able to travel.

So Nathan Collins, James Tarkowski and now Ben Mee all gone from Burnley……capitalism wild make you sick at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Tarkowski and Mee left when their contract's expired. They've lost a lot of experienced players this summer so Kompany will have to work some magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Those are players they probably would have lost either way after relegation 2 out of contract and one an up and coming star. Pope also to Newcastle as well. They've signed some good players Josh Cullen, the league 1 player of the year Twine etc.

I agree with you about the leveraged buy out though it's criminal that they are allowed you either have the money to buy a club or you don't being allowed to throw your debt onto a club is outrageous. The real worry for Burnley is if they don't come up in the next 2/3 season ten they'll sink like a stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say most clubs use invoice discounting and that's nothing to odd.

Liverpool did it with Couthino deal for definite but I'm sure they used it on other transfers.

It’s one thing when a well run club do it in order to reinvest it in the club like Liverpool buying Fabinho and Alison. But Burnley’s owners bought the club using a leaveraged takeover and are stripping it bare now. Shouldn’t be allowed.

Post edited by doc_17 on

As the new season kicks of in a couple of weeks, think this is the first season I can remember where ther will be no real anti-football team - No Burnley / No Stoke / No Wimbledon - No Big Sam / No Pullis / No Colin - Rejoice in good positive football, played the right way, hope it plays out so ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dyche in to save Everton when Lampard is sacked before the World Cup break.

Hopefully not - but no doubt he will get linked with the first early struggler , whether thats Everton or Bornemouth

If they can avoid relegation it's a decent season. Clear up their finances and push for top half in 23/24.

I'm not convinced by Lampard at all.

I think Southampton will struggle this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think the same every season but they seem to hit excellent form midway, limp to 40 and then just give up. They have an excellent coach IMO he just doesn't have the squad to keep playing like they do all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Hassenhuttl has said that he'll retire once his contract ends in 2024. That means that Soton will already have started to have a look at potential replacements. Should be easier for them, so, to get rid of him, if things don't go their way early doors next season.

They play 3 of the "perceived" top 6 in their first 6 games so could be on dodgy ground early on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement