Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

This was the drinks menu, I assume it will change occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

€7.80 for a Scraggy Bay!

I paid €6 for one just the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Yup, €7.40 for the Scraggie (sic) Bay v €6.00 in The Bierhaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

€8 for a pint? Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭thomil

Well, that's me out of the picture for Brew Dog. Pretentious beer menu, outrageous prices. I still have trouble accepting the fact that some pints are well above 5€ now, so 7 is right out...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

€7.90 for the Grainu Ale, LOL! That's Benny's beer.

Their food menu is supposed to be no better. Dublin:

Christ on a bike. Sounds like Wetherspoons with a clean set of clothes and a trendy beard...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't think Brewdog will survive in Cork with those prices.

Cork doesn't have enough tourists to maintain it and I can't see too many locals going more than once at those prices.

While people often bitch and moan about craft beer prices, they are usually not comparing like with like. In this case there's a beer that's €1.80 more expensive than it is in other city centre bars. I don't see myself going, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Is there anywhere like Ramen but nicer? In city or suburbs.

Last couple of trips to Ramen in Douglas were disappointing. It used to be my go to place for a cheap mid week meal but last few times the food was sent out to me in about 90 seconds reheated with cold patches. It used to have a nice fresh taste.

Maybe wrong thread but reading this seeing where's new to eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,480 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ramen also closed in Fermoy.

Any update on Frashers opening in Mahon? I heard mid Summer but I didn't even hear of them advertise for staff yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Kubo just around the corner is better than Ramen

Coincidentally I'm meeting a few friends for a pre-meal drink later & we're going to the Bierhaus, didn't even consider suggesting Brewdog as know I'd get an earful about the prices 🙂

Is there a new bar on Bandon road/ barrack street, beyond Lennox? Was driving past the other day, lots of flowers hanging outside, couldn't really see what it was, maybe it was always there and I never noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Yeah, it's where the Sportsman's Arms was. It's connected to Gaia out the back, so can wonder in and out of both. Was briefly in there a few weeks ago and it looked lovely but was way too hot to stay inside so went out the back to Gaia.

Had to Google Gaia, looks fab, never knew it was there, will definitely try it, thanks.

Soba is my favourite,koto very good too but a bit pricey. Ramen is dirt

Rosie Maddison's? Seems like Gaia/O'Sho connected. Crystals, hippie stuff and stout. I haven't been yet, but anything new in that area is a good thing. I see there is new cafe there as well on Barrack Street? Can't recall the name...

EDIT: The cafe is called Crush Brew Bar. Yet to visit, but I will.

I've been to Crush Brew, it's nice, bigger inside than you'd think, I do like Alchemy also.

I'd like to visit Wabisabi on Oliver Plunkett Street again, but that's more Japanese. I hear they do smoked eel, would like to try that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,480 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wilton opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Brew dog can p1ss off can't believe those prices place will be gone in 6 months sh1thole

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

How are there people on Twitter upset about Secrets on Parnell Place being replaced by a coffee shop. They might be joking but it doesn't feel it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Offy for me or a genuine bar not a uk chain run by a prick.

Screw those prices too. Sealed their own fate.

Well they're always free to head to Brewdog if they want to get royally shafted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A sex shop next to our bus station, it’s a disgrace anything would be better! Another empty building next to our bus station what a shithole! Oh no that empty building is now ANOTHER coffee shop my god, won’t something new ever open in this city? What’s that a bubble tea shop across the road? What a fad! Just like Asian Street Food and Burrito Bars!! God what ever happened to a good auld fashioned meat and two veg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Well, we went to Brew Dog over the weekend and were pleasantly surprised.

The venue looks well, and there's plenty of space.

The prices for non-Brew Dog beers are high, but that is surely by design so you gravitate toward their own beers as opposed to guest beers.

Most all the beers can be ordered in a 1/3 or a 1/2 pint, as opposed to the full pint which is priced for on the menu.

The more normal beers (Punk IPA, Hazy Jane...) hover around €6.30 - €6.50 for a pint.

Someone called out the single pint that is €8.10 - which is a heavily adjuncted IPA. Of course it's going to be pricey.

I had written it off in my head before going, but I would be back. Their Dublin bar often has tap takeovers and beers in from abroad that no where else has, so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

the 10th bubble tea shop in the city opened this week, mad! I think they are horrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

So strange as i thought that craze died off about 5 or 6 years ago. Dunno why its picked back up again

Advertisement