Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith sentenced to 15 months

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If she was tried in a court in the US, she would have gotten 15 yrs minimum , never mind 15 months.

The US who were instrumental in the creation of the group she joined? Do me a favour.

You had American spooks actually testify at her trial, that's next level batshIt if you actually sat down and thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

"I had a look for other sentences of membership of an illegal org but google is now full of links to this case and I didn't feel like doing much trawling.

Found one case from 2002 a PIRA member found with the addresses of members of the Garda Emergency response unit on a handwritten note among other details more significant in his case and he was only sentenced to 3 years."

I'll trawl for you

Robert Day - jailed for 5 years

Conor Metcalfe - jailed for 4.5 years

Vincent Banks - jailed for 5 years (conviction subsequently quashed)

Robert O'Leary - jailed for 3 years (conviction subsequently quashed)

Kevin Braney - jailed for 4.5 years

Ciaran Maguire - jailed for 4 years and 11 months

Just a small few of the links I found when I put "IRA membership sentencing" into google

Edited to add: all of the above were for membership of an unlawful organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

Shes out in 5 months max

her sentence served on remand was backdated then her remission outside the fact women get released earlier to pre release.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

I wouldn't. 15-20 yrs would seem appropriate. Possibly early release if there was evidence that she engaged in de-radicalisation courses etc. Again, even 15-20 would be generous compared to an ex Brit or US soldier who was convicted of similar.

For context you need add what they actually did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Agreed on everything you say here. The even more worrying aspect will be that extremist Islamicists will be looking at this thinking - correctly - that Ireland is a soft touch for those who wish to commit similar offenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

How can anyone defend this woman, she was a full grown adult when she made the decision to travel to a terrorist nation whose goal was world supremacy and destruction of the west and all non-muslims.

There is no evidence that she is not still a supporter of Jihad and with her army training poses a threat when she is out.

If your first instinct is to criticise those who are angered by this decision, you are either really naive or blinded by ideology.

Our courts are such a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Your speaking absolute garbage mate. Do me a favour.

all convictions/sentences I referenced were for membership of an unlawful organisation. A simple google got me those results yet this person gets 15 months.......

• Advertisement

I thought I just did, wasted my time evidently.

There is subsections in that.

From memory one of the people on your list provided a vehicle for a murder of a prison officer, that sends it up a few notches.

yes indeed - the man one on that list with the shortest sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Apologies - I misread this one

"A used car dealer from Dublin has had his conviction for IRA membership quashed at the Court of Appeal.

43-year-old Robert O'Leary, of Clancy Road, Finglas in Dublin, had pleaded not guilty but was convicted at the Special Criminal Court in October 2020 and sentenced to three years in prison.

The trial heard he had supplied a Skoda Octavia car used by the New IRA when they placed a bomb under a PSNI officer's Jeep at Shandon Park Golf Club in Belfast on June 2019."

Anyhow - IMO (not that it matters) Lisa Smiths sentence is ridiculously lenient

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'm just in from work and reading the news,.

Think it's a totally justified sentence and hopefully she will change her ways in the 9 YEARS she has to contemplate what she has done!!

Of wait..........9 Years is for some guy selling some fancy fizzy candy pop (Don't condone this either for one minute by the way)

She got what....an extended hotel break for facilitating mass murder organisation...Hmmmmmm

Arrh sure maybe the Judge is right, all the service and training from the military, that she then went on to and abused and used for terrorism against the world including our very own state, complicated in Paris, Manchester attacks and Barcelona attacks, Beheadings, Burning people alive to name but a few, the people she supported, but who I'm I to Judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Disgusted at this slap on the wrist - the fact that she served in the military should have increased the sentence. Courts are an absolute joke in this country, she should be doing 10 to 15 years. Better yet would’ve been to never let her come back, some poor person is going to have to live beside her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Should have left the tramp over there tbh. Reap what you sow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fairly soft sentance but at least she'll be paying some sort of price. I know many here would like to see here doing porridge for the rest of her days, but that was never going to happen.

Unfortunately the prosecution had limited insight into what exactly she got up to during her time over there, and she was unlikely to be volunteering anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭jmreire

I don't think so, given their extreme views on being in the company unrelated males. Now the Women's wing of the Religious Police for the preservation of Virtue and the suppression of Vice, is a much more likely scenario INMO. And these " Ladies" were more than capable of treating perceived offenders harshly in the extreme..including execution. Now if at some future date, some other survivor should appear who had previously lived under ISIS sharia law in an isis occupied town/ city.... and recognized any of the former ISIS "Officers". Unlikely, I know, but still, stranger things have been known to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭jmreire

Aside from duty on the Govt Jet for official functions, do we even know what levels and in which military functions she trained in after basic training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

And don't forget the liberals will be defending her still ...

Remember it's the patriarchy and white male sexism that drove her to this - not a joke an actual Irish "journalist" argued this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Who knows what she did when living inside the Caliphate, thats half the problem here, it was entirely controlled by Isis so there was no independent eye witnesses as to what went on in there. The documentary Once Upon a Time in Iraq has some footage from inside it in Mosul with executions happening almost daily but other than that it was very strictly controlled.

iirc when the Caliphate collapsed Lisa Smith was interrogated by American counter intelligence officers first and then later Irish officials. It wouldnt have been that hard for her to just say she spent her days doing nothing but praying and minding her child or whatever and they never could have proved otherwise. Given her husband knew well of her military background Id be surprised if she wasnt put to work in some way or other, it was a war after all and thats when extreme views get put asisde in favour of pragmatism of winning the war. It has to be remembered as well that she expressed favourable views towards jihad to her Muslim friend in Dundalk before she left Ireland so she was no shrinking violet and her mindset was in admiration of the violence that was going on to live under strict Sharia law. But it couldnt be proved she did anything unless she self incriminated so here she is with a 15 month sentence, likely out in under a year..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

30% off for good behaviour will see her out in Ten months, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah there or thereabouts. I think 15 months was a lenient sentence, it should have been more like 3 or 4 years to send a message to anyone else thinking of doing something so daft as to join a terrorist group. But her having a child obviously came in to the judges thinking

She’s out in December she’s time served on remand while waiting bail and women receive more pre release then men

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I personally think it's b*llox that she's getting this sentence given the fact that we are importing thousands of "helpless 18-30 year old african males" found floating around on a raft in the Mediterranean. All looking for the best welfare countries to pay for flights for their families over here. We don't know who they are or what militias they could be a part of.

Now we have to pay to keep her imprisoned for 15 months and maybe childcare to look after her child. I don't think she's any threat to anyone and would likely work and pay tax like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Who in their right mind would hire her? Will her CV list all of her accomplishments in ISIS - ‘fully trained in assembling suicide vests’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

She might go the self employed route - open a halal tea shop. Scones so good you'd go jihad for them.

Advertisement