Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We also got a good lash of the whip from the E.U. over the banking crisis. A crisis the E.U. through the E.U. Central Bank helped create by throwing around "free" money.

The E.U. are all over the place with right hand not knowing what the left is doing, but I`m getting a feeling that there is a sea change in their thinking necessitated by the present energy crisis. The two largest economies in the E.U. are Germany and France. E.U. policy on energy and climate change has up until now been driven by, Germany with France`s approach being ignored. It`s not difficult for any E.U. country now to see which was the wisest. This was reflected in the recent E.U. parliament vote on taxonomy in relation to gas and nuclear. Not before time, but governments and the E.U. parliament are waking up and taking a look a where this German driven green agenda has landed us, and where it is taking us if we continue on the same road.

I would not be surprised if the marginal pricing policy is next in line for a shake up. The E.U. has already accepted that it`s not fit for purpose when suggesting that individual countries should hit these green energy companies with windfall taxes on the obscene profits they are making due this policy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We have our water turned off at night.

Our area and county has been told our water supply is very low and under pressure.

All this during a fairly wet summer up here.

All due to a body called Irish water who are totally inadequate to help solve this with the case of to many people in the area for the service to provide for.

Can't blame this on climate change so nobody really gives a toss . So water shortages for the unseeable future unless we can somehow get climate change to be blamed and get the media coverage to highlight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you suggest the unthinkable, that ireland should consder nuclear power, the greens, who hate nuclear more than CO2, will do their usual stupid and say, that's too much power, Ireland doesn't need that much energy. I can think of several uses for a lot of clean CO2 free power.

There is no such thing as too much energy. Run data centres, sell the excess to France or the UK - oh the Irony - they would take every erg and ask for more.

Get together with some neighbours and fund a well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Greens were opposed to the Mercosur deal and advocate lower meat consumption, not replacing local farming with imports.

They do not always get their way, seeing as they are a minority party almost everywhere, but there is nothing hypocritical about that stance.

There is a definite parallel between many of them and the old Catholic Church doctrine that the more suffering the better your chances of reaching the promised land. It was nothing other than sadism from those well insulated from any worldly suffering and it hasn`t changed much since by the look of things.

There are some on here that can barely contain their glee at the suffering their ideology will cause areas of society that they disapprove of for reasons Sigmund Freud would have struggled to unravel.

I may have missed it, but have the greens proposed a motion in the E.U. to scrap the Mercosur deal.?

The hypocrisy is that the greens are not that naive as to how the world of supply and demand works. If the demand is not there then the supply drops accordingly. Last year the E.U. imported close to 600 million of beef from Brazil, so the demand is there and it is nothing short of extreme hypocrisy attempting to turn a blind eye to the reality that the gap in the supply of meat we would not be supplying would not be filled by others. Those other being those slash and burn merchants that are such caring custodians of the environment and animal welfare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Advertisement

So what are you saying, that having lost that vote the solution is cutting our herds for the same slash and burn merchants to fill the gap in demand. ?

I though greens were all about global climate change and emissions. Do they somehow believe that cattle in such countries produce less emissions, even aside from the methods used in farming them and the dodgy regulatory control ?

The sum total of what the Irish greens are looking for will be a global reduction of zero as far as emissions are concerned. For the country it will cost the economy 4 billion in exports and 56,000 unemployed.

Way to go green`s. Ideological nutcases that cannot see past the end of their own noses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think Ireland will get away with it compared to other countries weather wise, from what I've been reading. I would think worldwide crop failures and massive movement of people due to climate change will be what causes wars and famines etc around the world. Most of the food we eat is imported so those sources maybe become unreliable as time goes on. Spain and Portugal produce a lot of the fruit and veg we eat and they are being hit hard with heatwaves and drought.

All in all it looks like it will make the world far more unstable and that will have big affects on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭jj880

How did I forget about that one. Once again the worst off. Most debt per head in the EU. Be grand sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

clean? What, by dumping the waste in the ocean so you cant see it? hows that clean?

Ok so would it not be better for the GP to be concentrating on security of supply of our fruit and veg by incentivising cattle farmers (who they seem to want to screw over) to convert to hydroponic vertical cars for example, poly tunnels etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

July 22nd

Ireland 315g

France 99g

Reliable Irish wind is generating 149mw out of 6000

https://www.smartgriddashboard.com/#all

It's one of the Green party's main policies on agriculture, Eamon Ryan's been banging on about it for years.

Encourage diversification from a mostly animal-based model to one that produces grains, vegetables, fruit, nuts and plant-based products.

But I don't see why this should all rest on the Green party, surely the other parties are smart enough to know we should probably think about the future and diversification?

Why isn't the Fianna Fail minister for ag doing this? He's the one with all the power.

Another solar farm approved, this time in Kildare. More and more of these seem to be going through planning, great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭jj880

That's a great policy - doesn't make up for all their sh!te ideas tho.

• Advertisement

Basically the idea is that we should become self sufficient in all our food needs. If every country followed that suggestion then it would be similar to an eye for an eye where eventually the whole wold would be blind.

The global economy cannot operate on that basis. It`s one of the reasons that we have trade agreements. Some countries for various reasons, the climate ironically being among the main, can produce certain produce much better than others. For example, have you ever tasted Irish produced wine, and for one of our staple foods, yeast breads our wheat grain is unsuitable.

For horticulture the greens are pushing for produce being organically grown. I have nothing against organically grown produce, but the reality is that it`s similar to the eye for eye in that for the same yield, even in Europe, between 22% and 33% more acreage would have to be sown. With poorer soils in many parts of the world that figure would be even higher and just not viable.

Anyone with even the slightest knowledge and foresight will see that Europe produces food to a high standard with surpluses to export. We do it well for beef and dairy produce because of those various reasons I mentioned, others in Europe do it well for other produce. The foresight is seeing that with the projected rise in world population that surplus is needed to feed those that will be unable to do so themselves. Green ideology is totally ignoring that, and it is something that is actually as much, if not more, as quantifiable as a looming future disaster due to climate change.

Did you see why I posted about the need for self sufficiency? Climate change will bring about drought and crop failure worldwide and most of the food we eat is imported.

We also greatly depend on imported animal feed.

So it doesnt seem like a great system given what's coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

shouldn't we covering the roof of every building with them before filling green fields ??????? and reducing the growth beneath the panels.

That practice has been banned for the past 50 years. London Convention 1972 and Basel convention 73/78.

We should do that too. Its why the planning requirements have been lifted, and feed in tariffs are there to encourage more installations too. Govt is also planning on putting these on a load of school buildings etc.

But in terms of economies of scale and efficiency, it makes more sense to do it this way for private companies, the LCOE for solar on a roof is terrible by comparison due to each installation typically being bespoke.

Its also possible to do this and still grow underneath the panels through agrivoltaics

I addressed what you said about self sufficiency by pointing out that even for the countries that could do that there are many produce due to their climate and various other factors that would greatly increase the price or in many instances they could not grow. Wheat for bread being an example here of a staple product. For many of those countries with predicted population increases there would not be a hope of them becoming self sufficient. Especially following the green ideology of organic farming, so what`s the greens answer to that?

I mean they are all about saving the planet, which until recently naively I believed that included mankind, but apparently that is not the case when it comes to food and each country being self sufficiency.

Well I'm only talking about Ireland, as the years go by and situations deteriorate worldwide we'll need to focus on feeding ourselves a varied diet, I didn't realise it was up to Ireland to feed the rest of the world. And obviously prices will go through the roof in the coming years as global supplies dwindle.

I know nothing about organic farming but I would imagine the amount of food produced reduces drastically if it all goes organic. Obviously polluting less while producing food is something that should always be on the agenda though.

serious question, how much does a consumer with solar panels get on the FIT?

Another genuine question but why is Irish wheat not grown for flour? Or is it? Maybe I picked that up wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

F all and you lose night rate which could cost hundreds

Advertisement