Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

It was posted here and there was much discussion throughout the county that he had asked Shefflin in with a view to him, Henry, taking over at the end of the year. That's almost a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He's top class but I'd have Quaid as the best in the country in the last 3 years or so, Murphy is best in the country in terms of point blank saves, an all time great display v Limerick in 2018 but Quaid is top of the tree in terms of puckouts and never puts a foot wrong, reminds me of Cluxton a bit in that regard and his influence on the Limerick team, for example and its nitpicking but the goal Tipp got vs Kilkenny in the league this year, i can't remember the last time Quaid made an error like that or any error which led to a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Nicky’s mother is from Bayswell Galmoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

James Maher is supposed to be going travelling next year as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah heard today that Richie Hogan, Michael Carey and James Maher are all either travelling or moving abroad next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Are the 3 lads teachers? heard rumours about lads in a few counties who are mostly teachers, alot of them going to Dubai apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Don't know about Carey and Maher but I know Hogan has a job in Croke Park currently but was a teacher previously, from what I heard he's not going to Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Yes indeed, Danny Neville easily Limericks best Footballer went to Dubai. We might well have won the Munster Final the year Tipp won it, if we had him but there you go. Not blaming any of these Lads of course, it is their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

His wife also teaches in Dublin.

The new Dublin manager should put the call in, Dublin crave a class corner forward who can open defences. He owes us nothing and in my opinion has been treated abysmally in recent years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

In relation to Cian Lynch. He was pulled for an 'illegal handpass' against Tipperary in 2020, when Hegarty took it and buried it. On play back it was clearly shown to be a perfectly fine hand pass. A few minutes later when John McGrath was bottled up he clearly picked the ball off the ground and then threw to his brother, Noel, who raced in and goaled. It did not matter as Limerick won by nine points that day anyway. Premierview is not a source I would pay much attention to. They seem to be finding it hard to cope with the fact that their inconsequential little neighbour has whipped them with sickening consistency over the past ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I thought Richie was involved with agency that looked after teachers that worked out in Dubai other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Village87

They can all go once TJ stays on, even Cody. I watched back the match. His display in the final especially the first half when Limerick were throwing the kitchen sink at us was heroic. Kept Kilkenny alive. Only hurler to match him at the highest stake and when the game is at its toughest and every possession that matters is Cian Lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

thought he was finished with that a good few years ago. Most of them are expected, be disappointed if Carey is gone. Short in a lot of positions for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

It’s all gone very quiet on the Cody rumours the last day or so and not sound coming from the county board! Have we all got caught up in the rumour mill or is there truth too it? If there’s truth to it don’t understand why the county board haven’t came out and confirmed it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Is there any basis to any of these "retirements" being bandied about? I'm sure there's a number of players who will consider calling it a day, but I've certainly heard nothing official as of yet.

As for the Cody thing, I've heard so many different scenarios over the last few days it's got to the point of make believe:

-McGarry and Gorta are gone

-McGarry and Gorta are taking over

-Lyng or Eddie or Herity or DJ or Adrian Finan are taking over

-Shefflins leaving Galway and coming home - the prodigal son

FFS, I wouldn't be surprised if Cody's not leaving at all. Nothing official so it's all at least 2nd hand information if not 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th........made up!

It's only 5 days since the final, and we've gone doolally already.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a rant

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Silence from officals is what is driving all the rumours. Cody knows what he is doing and can quickly put an end to it one way or another. If he is going and has informed the county board the only reason it has not being announced is that maybe there lining up his replacement and want to put forward a name to delegates at the same time. If he is staying just say it.

You're not wrong, but if he's staying he'll announce it in his own time, which doesn't help either. Brian is not one to have his hand forced

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

He certainly isnt. But i do think he alwyas puts KK hurling first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

TJ has been outstanding for us in the last two games. We should all be grateful that Cody had the insight to persevere with him when his form wasn`t what we all expect it to be. You`re a broken record. When we play well you`ll come on here and praise anybody except Brian Cody and when we lose it`s Cody`s fault and he should be replaced. I`d say it`s been a tough 24 years for you as a Kilkenny supporter to have every success stained by your resentment for the manager.

• Advertisement

let it all out :)

only 2 months till we know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Was there even a county board meeting held last night?? 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

No, no county board meeting was held last night. Possibly could have been a management meeting held but no delegates were called to any meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

We should be grateful to Cody for persisting with TJ Reid is some take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

To be fair, like Padraig, Tommy got some game time up in the forwards but he was miles off the pace. Galway matches in Tullamore i think i remember him in. Shefflin was 35 wasn't he, struggling with injuries, couldn't have got any more out of him, dont think he managed to play a full game in 2014 championship.

TJ had groin and abdominal problems that weren't sorted due to the club championship dragging on till February

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

The character and belief Cody instils in teams is magnificent but no one in KK should be blinkered to the fact that we are being consistently outthought and outplayed in last 15 mins of tight matches. Being in position to win a tight game 10-15 mins out and doing so, has been a hallmark of Kilkenny teams for 100 years. Now we invariably lose tight ones. There is a pattern here and we’d be dumb to just shrug and believe it’s just bad luck.

The AI was there to be won after our 2nd goal, we needed composure and guile, but we got aerial bombardment that Limerick comfortably dealt with to build a 5 pts lead. In Reid and Hogan and Mullen we had the players with the class and guile to work the third goal we needed. Instead, we went long in to Walsh (some early success but nothing in last 15), Keoghan and Ryan (who between them, barely won a ball all day).

We blew a golden chance to beat a serious team playing at their near best.

I make no apologies for also saying if one or the other of Cody or Reid retire, I hope it's Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

OK so the aerial ball that led to both goals was OK while it worked but when it didn't it was stupid. We created enough chances in last 10mins but hit some terrible wides to allow limerick open the gap.

Be careful what you wish for.the culture around Kilkenny team was created by Cody and the younger players on the panel see him as a legend who drives standards .

Who ever takes over has a tough task and will no doubt have been a student of Cody so hopefully we can keep the elements that make Kilkenny a dangerous team to play against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe too just a bit of respect for the football and when that's all over, time for stuff like this. When God made time, he made plenty of it etc Sure, what's a week or so in the span of two dozen years.

Advertisement