Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, I have no real idea, but I smell a rat.

Why put the label on at all? Surely, just ship it to NI and then on to the rest of the EU.

How much of this is going on? Plenty judging by the trade figures.

Does it matter? Well, yes if it is part of a) fraud or b) VAT dodging or c) SPS regulation avoiding.

It does need investigation, and suggests heightened market surveillance needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But you are not even sure of what you saw. Yet you are sure it's a big problem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, no.

1) I am seeing the trade figures that show an increase in the flow of goods from GB to NI together with a reduction in the flow of goods from GB to Ireland. There is also a large increase in the flow of goods from NI to Ireland. That would suggest that some (or a lot) of goods are being diverted from GB to NI to Ireland instead of direct.

2) I am seeing goods that are normally shown as Origin: UK now showing Origin: NI UK. Are they really NI produced or just a relabel job?

3) I noticed a label I have never noticed on anything before - showing goods imported into NI from GB.

4) It is well publicised that there is little to no inspection of goods going between NI and GB in either direction.

I think that is a bit more than 'I am not even sure what I saw' - now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I would have thought (wrongly maybe) that, after the NIP, the likes of M&S would have very little food on the shelves in their supermarkets here. The fact that that isn't the case makes me wonder about how much checking is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I recall M&S has commented on this in UK House of Lords saying that they are supplying Irish & NI shops via a different distribution route than before and also had to reduce variety of products they can sell in Ireland (probably to save form filling & customs they have to do?).

Just googled this article for what was said:

In order to facilitate this we had to create a new export centre in Motherwell. All of our product for export to Northern Ireland and the Republic is now shipped into Motherwell; previously it was in our regular depots.

At Motherwell, those vehicles are separated and despatched to Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Mr Berendji added: “We have also seen an availability impact, less so in Northern Ireland but still there. But in our Republic of Ireland stores there are about 600 lines out of around 7,000 that we are not able to export, which we need to find a different solution for.

“Therefore, the net impact for our customer has been that we have seen worse availability in both countries, although markedly worse in the Republic of Ireland, and higher waste levels for us.

We have looked at other options and we have built and recruited a local sourcing team for the island of Ireland and there are around 450 products we are now sourcing locally, including short shelf-life products like sandwiches.

Haven't been in an M&S in a long time. I thought (wrongly as well) Brexit would finish them here. Maybe a reduction in number of products combined with getting more of their fresh/perishable stuff locally (from Ireland) has made it manageable. I think their customers were always willing to pay a fair bit extra for their food anyway. If you are choosing to do majority of grocery shopping there, you are not very price sensitive...!.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement

M&S are a British store who revels in their British Identity.

So where would a very British store build its distribution centre for the island of Ireland? Why Motherwell in Scotland of course.

I think that says it all.

Just for any putative shoppers planning to use M&S as a store - the M&S prices in Ireland are some 25% higher than the UK prices. It is easier to check - just look up M&S UK website and the M&S Irish website for the same product. Remember to convert the GB£ to € and include the 23% VAT here as opposed to the 20% UK rate. The choice of goods in Ireland is more limited as well.

Is this the type of smuggling that is going on, or is it all legitimate, or is something else going on?

Well it sounded like you were asking as you didn't know. Sounds now like you were asking a question you were gonna tell us all the answers to anyway.

Again no.

I was explaining a situation I did not understand. You came back suggesting I did not know what I was seeing, which I took to mean I did not see anything.

What I wanted to know was whether others had noticed the same, and did they have an explanation, or did they actually know the rules/background that would explain what I thought was going on. Or conversely show that all was legitimate and all rules were being followed.

I said I smelled a rat. There are little to no inspections going on in Larne and Belfast, and there is a lot more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Easily proved.

The formula for converting Celcius to Farenheit is:

C=F*9/5 + 32

If F=C C=C*9/5 + 32

5C=9C + 160

9C-5C=-160

4C=-160

C=F=-40

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A critical incident has been declared in the port of Dover due to traffic chaos which the british appear to be blaming on the French...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Chronicle of a death foretold - episode #259:

Volume of Brit holidaymakers travelling through Dover, now all needing their passports date-stamped on arrival in France, divided by throughput capacity of French immigration officers in Calais = unsolvable bottleneck.

I can't help but find all of this hilarious.

Who would have thought extra borders would mean extra passport checks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Signs that the UK is still a long way off from the kind of self-analysis and retrospection needed to rethink its European status. A crisis of their own making and of course, they blame the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭yagan

Any remaining Irish hauliers that stuck with the British land bridge when traffic was lighter during the pandemic will have to finally concede that the new normal isn't sustainable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another Project Fear bubble bursts as the UK government confirm that there is a divorce bill and the total has now increased to about €50billion!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I fail to see why the French taxpayer should be expected to pay for additional immigration or customs officers just to make things easier for Brexiters.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Because the British are the master race who should by the will of god get special treatment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Because Britain is Best. And France sucks. /s

This is the accumulation of Britain post-colonial introspection - or rather the lack thereof. The continued presumption the rest of the world is simply gagging for UK patronage, a stubborn demographic that can't countenance being treated as anything except VIP. Think on the cliché of the British tourist, however false or exaggerated it may be; the dogged refusal to speak the local language, the insistence on special treatment and so on.

We saw this regularly with the retirees living the life in Spain, Brexit suddenly upending their cosy, insular life there; finding themselves in legal trouble having never bothered entangling themselves in local requirements.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonder how many UK immigrants, oops, I mean "ex-pats" living in the EU voted for Brexit...!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Advertisement

I don't have the articles or stats, but I do recall interviews with ex-pats in Spain who voted for Brexit, suddenly and vocally appalled the local authorities were treating them like 3rd Country nobodies. Lots of "they can't do that, we've lived here 30 years!" without any apparent self-awareness they were turkeys who voted for this particular Christmas

I'm an expat in Asia, not an immigrant. Basically, if you don't have the right to stop working and die in a country, you are an expat, so any Brits in Spain who had to leave, were indeed expats. The others who could stay without work permits were immigrants. Any British people who now get work visas for the EU, which are required for them to stay there, are expats unless they get citizenship and become immigrants.

This is the modern usage of the term worldwide. The Koreans, Nigerians, Filipinos etc. I know also call themselves expats because if we don't work in this country, we must leave.

The only official stat I know of is Gibraltar was 95% remain.

There were certainly anti EU British in Spain and the likes. I know one I Cyprus who is also a fair bit racist with no irony whatsoever.

Ran into a fair amount of anti EU racist Europeans in England too. Usually former eastern bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Yes,just as the farce at the recent champions league final which was the fault of the British fans according to the French which has been debunked resulting in an embarrassing admission of "over zealous"policing and downright lies by the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The question that needs to be asked is what has changed that has precipitated the current state of affairs in Dover?

The current situation of the Tories complaining about the French controlling their own borders whilst simultaneously crowing about controlling the UK’s own borders is indicative of a mindset that has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. I have no idea what happened, whether it was some issue in the tunnel as the French claim or not enough resources as the Port claims.

But regardless, the underlying issue is that Brexit is the cause of the potential problems. The need for more resources, and thus the chance of something going wrong, is 100% at the door of Brexit.

It will be hidden behind the 'fight' over who messed up, but apart from the headlines that won't solve anything. Taking back control also means Franch taking back control and that means extra waiting times and extra hassle every time they travel.

Ya that's the same as major international treaties alright.

Good lad.

What has that got to do with Brexit? The Dover problems have been caused by ejecting oneself form the EU and refusing to coalesce along a frictionless path for continuance of trade and traffic. Britian became a third country, this is then end result. Same effect seen in airports across the EU, albeit without the arresting imagery of traffic ground to a halt.

There's a noted problem at all ports of entry at the moment, this has been seen everywhere. Brexit has made a bad problem much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Pointing out that the French are quick to try to blame others for their own shortcomings is relevant imo but feel free to lay all the blame at the feet of the British if it supports your theories.

• Advertisement

I don't blame the English fans at all but it's an absolutely childish bit of whataboutery.

Advertisement