Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

This was put up in a fb page the other day. Such complete crap lol

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Forgotten Ireland is a good name. No one remembers that or if they believe it they've alzheimeirs or senility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup they are remembering 1975 and 1976 blurringly. The 70s was quite a dry Summer decade though. The 80s had a half and half good and bad. The 90s were mixed bar 1995 which was divine. The 2000s were noticeably warmer in Summers but then the 2007 to 2012 wet cycle came punctuated in 2013 by temperatures over 30c in July. The following years have been fairly decent Summers in some parts of Ireland at least and the recent highlights being the Summer drought of 2018, 2021 July heatwave and 2022 July record breaking hot snap.

Some of the small trees in my estate looking autumn like. I presume due to a lack of rain in recent weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

30 degrees for 3 months at a time in Ireland?

I'd be lucky if I get that in the greenhouse!

• Advertisement

They didn’t have to lock their doors either…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Felt mild in the afternoon but cooled down again early evening, sat outside eating a fish and chips at a restaurant tonight on the coast and was very glad of my jumper, felt cold by the time we left. 15.3C atm

Cloudy calm day but got lighter and brightened in the afternoon. some mist and a few drops this evening.

Fenit Harbour this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mostly a very nice day today in Bray after most of the cloud cleared before noon. 19-20ºc. Blue skies with patches of haze and blobs of cloud. Another case of the eastern coastal fringes clearing up while the rest of the country remained cloudy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Re pics above: you'd need to get the council to look at your green - looks very lob-sided

*can people not rotate their pics ffs!🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

that looks like a ‘good drying’ wind so any rain that falls over the weekend will be cancelled out and have little effect in my opinion, around 50mm would be required for the eastern half of the country anyway and we aren’t going to get that.

*the photos are correct when posting, it’s only after you hit ‘post comment’ they end up sideways so the problem is at this end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fantastic sunny morning in Galway, blue blue skies from early on, with distant cloud becoming evident to the south as the morning went on. This cloud has now enveloped all directions except right above the city, however I'd say the unbroken sunshine will soon succumb to the clouds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice day in Meath, a good bit of cloud but some nice sunny spells too and feeling warm with temperature of 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ascophyllum

Same in Southwest Mayo, local stations saying max 19° but it feels a lot warmer, barely a breeze and blue skies, perfect weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

It is absolutely swelting here in NCD.

Feels like about 27 degrees, I know its not but clear blue skies and sun is roasting.

Everyone plastering the suncream on their kids in playground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Windy on the south east coast sunny with clouds approaching.

Plenty of sunshine today, a few cloudy periods.

Field conditions in the NW have been water logged for months up until this past couple of weeks yet water is cut off in inishowen area from 11pm to 7am and some restrictions in letterkenny area too. Thankfully I’m not affected but Jesus what crap infrastructure, thankfully were not as dry as the SE or we’d be carrying Buckets most of the year 😝

Will be glad to get the rain over the weekend.

Farming commentary.

Rain

The past seven days have been very dry countrywide. The most rainfall was recorded in north Donegal were 7.9mm of rain fell, less than half the normal amount. Elsewhere any totals were just a fraction of the norm, with less than 2mm broadly recorded, and some areas were completely dry. This coming weekend will be wet especially in the north and west, with drier conditions returning early next week. Overall there will be 1.5 to almost 3 times the average rainfall this week in Ulster, Connacht and in the north midlands. Elsewhere will generally get between 80% and 150% of average, with the driest conditions long eastern coasts.

Field conditions

Field conditions are currently very dry across the country with soil moisture deficits (SMDs) for all soil types ranging from around 20mm in the northwest to 70 or 80mm in the east with growth conditions restricted in Leinster and Munster. Over the coming week, most areas will see only slight changes to the local field conditions. The most substantial changes are forecast for parts of the northwest, far west and far southwest where soil moisture deficits will generally decrease close to saturation. Soils in the east will remain extremely dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

beautiful day in Dublin 5, blue skies throughout and sun beating down. Really pleasant for walking about and 20 degrees. July has really turned in a beautiful month. Dublin airport has only recorded 6mm of rain in the whole of July to date

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Models starting to trend very unsettled from next weekend with the Atllantic starting off August on a cool and very wet note with an autumnal flavour. Plenty of rain this weekend too so the dry spell is ending today. Will try and update the 120+ FI thread tomorrow but it will most likley be a grim forecast with August looking increasingly disturbed and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Really pleasant sunshine and bright all evening and temps of 23⁰. Meath.

Sad about the rain forecast for all of the weekend albeit flowers etc need a certain amount. Love the sunny evenings.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we will escape the worst of the rain and showers. Could do with another full month of dry, warm and sunny conditions. Much of next week looks reasonably dry. Could turn very unsettled after that, I am hoping for big downgrades for the Greenland lows over the next few days in the models. I want to see this reversed and the Azores high making a move instead.

Jesus nothing ever changes with August. I was hoping for a warm start to August this year. Though still time for a better outcome. I really don't want most of August to be cool and summer returning at the end of the month and lasting for much of September . Would much prefer a warm start and first half of August with an autumnal feel later in the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

22c and fair in Sligo easily one of the best days of the Summer. In fairness as I thought the July August period should be much better here than May and June.

Still though. Rain very low even though we may get 40mm Saturday to Monday. May....

Grass now has yellow patches even in Sligo. It must be brown in Dublin.

The grass was brown in Dublin 2 weeks ago. The grass here in Meath is brownish in places but still very green in others. I saw an aerial shot of south-east England yesterday and it's almost as brown from the air as France or northern Spain. Ireland has been cloudy most of the time but I bet we look alot greener from the air than England does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Today was a glorious day and it had more sunshine than the one hit wonder of last Monday, a much more enjoyable day here in Donegal personally speaking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rain in Galway is badly needed. And yet it seems odd to see it.

We forget how much rain can change your options.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing here in NCD but can't complain, it's 1st rainy day and we are near the end of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

IMHO yesterday was the best day of summer so far. 20C and sunny spells. Rained last night and continuing this morning.

Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Understand the need for rain and in a way welcome it just not at the weekend and already the bank holiday weekend prospects not looking good according to a few posts here already…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

MT is more optimistic about the bank holiday and first week of August. Could turn out to be ok yet. Hoping those horrible Atlantic lows stay away from our shores. Can we finally get a settled August for a change.

Advertisement