Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭D_D

Looking at the register of 'Triple E' registered chargers, there are not many on that list which I would have considered for my house. I was going to go with a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, a nice and neat charger but it isn't on the Triple-E register. They have the more expensive Wallbox Copper SB and Commander 2, but these are way more expensive options really aimed at businesses for their employees.

Thanks SEAI, you've ruined another grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No the black EO box is beside the RCBO in the utility room.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don't know what's inside that black box but if there is a CT clamp it won't be in that box... it has to be in the consumer unit or the meter box (basically on the incoming house mains).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not open for individual though as it's only available to local authorities/management companies which complicates matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Applying for the home charger grant now that it has opened up to all. My question is what needs to be completed before the requirement to install a smart charger kicks in? Do I just need the grant approval or does actual hardware need be installed before September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I think that you will need to have the charger installed and the payment request submitted before September, as the terms and conditions at the moment don't have any mention of a smart charger being required, but they do say that if the terms and conditions are modified, then the updated terms and conditions are the ones that apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s just needs the manufacturer to register. I wouldn’t get mad yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

What's the best "idiot's guide" to getting a home car charging point installed that you've encountered?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1. ring installers.
    2. get quote.
    3. ring another.
    4. get quote.
    5. repeat if required.
    6. get installed.

Stick to wallbox or Zappi as between them they cover everything you need. PV, load balancing, smart etc

Add the Ohme pro too. Even has an api that interfaces with most cars to get the SoC, do the others so that ?

makes it really smart for optimising Tariffs and battery conditioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m not sure. Or feature of the wallbox app I liked was that you can input your unit rate so it gives you a running charging cost.

the Ohme has all that too. Even has rates available in a drop down for the most popular tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've messaged 3 installers so far (EPower, EV Charging Stations (Nigel M Daly Electrical), EV Ready) and will probably contact more. For the last 2 years I've been dealing with companies just ghosting me and not getting back to me. The fact that I have a preference for untethered probably rules out half of them as they'll just want to sell what's on hand now.

In West Dublin if there's any more suggestions.

Also the reason I'm looking for untethered is this will eventually be moved into my parking space, I just don't like the idea of a cable potentially being messed with. Might need to figure out something to keep it locked in place when not in use.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They stopped doing that with the more recent version of the EO unit - Whatever was in that black box is now included in the wall charger unit itself.

I got an EO mini installed about a year ago and don't have the 2nd box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

Final part of my charger install today. Esb networks switching over the new tails to the meter. Didn't want to fit an isolation switch in the meter box but my charger installer said to insist on it..they doing it anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

well that was fun... had asked for an isolation switch to be fitted in the meter box on recommendation of ev charger installer when booking the esb networks job to get the new tails into meter.. they said no problem.. guy that arrived was like no way.. they don't do that and got into a huff.. i wasnt going to debate it to long but just said the customer service rep said it was ok and he begrudgingly fitted it.. he did his job, power came back on, went off and then suddenly he drives away leaving us without any power. Was a bit stumped but after a few minutes said i better call customer service.. got through after about 15 minutes on hold.. explained the situation.. they called the guy and he was 20 minutes away so turned around and came back.. he was a bit embarrassed and checked everything.. a wire had dislodged from the trip switch the ev installer had fitted.. he complained about it and said it wasnt tight enough.. figured he was going to say he couldnt fix it but in fairness he put it back in and tightened it.. he then said the new tails werent strong enough and should weite it up as a unsafe install.. he huffed for a while and then compared the wires again and said maybe they ok and he left again.. anyway customer service called me back and opened a complaint about the case as we were without power for 2 hours rather than 15 minutes... 2 people working from home... my main gripe was him driving away without knocking in to check everything was ok... he had knocked in when he arrived and knocked in again when cutting the power.. was just amazed he didnt knock in after to say all was working fine again.... hopefully the end of the affair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..bit of a saga, another one of those folk that seem to be upset for having to do their job, little bit of manners go a long way

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Hi Guys,

Got a second hand ABL charger, have it flashed to 7kw.

Now I need to find an electrician, how should I approach the call.

I want to try included the cost of the charger into the grant and not have an electrician take the whole €600.

What should I expect them to quote over the phone or will they need to view the house?

You need to get that done asap as you may not get the grant at all after Sept as the SEAI are planning on paying grants for Smart charge points only (which that ABL unit isn't).

What should I expect them to quote over the phone or will they need to view the house?

They can quote over the phone but will add so many ifs/buts/maybes to the quote it won't be worth anything really until they see your actual wiring.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger is considered 'smart' enough for SEAI's grant from September?

I don't know. Im not familiar with all its features.... it needs to have load sensing (e.g. CT clamp) and it needs to monitor usage etc (e.g. app support).

ok, cheers. It seems to do both of those things; Wallbox Pulsar | Compact and efficient charger

"Power Boost measures how much electricity you use and gives the rest to your car. Turning the lights off in one room? Power Boost automatically adjusts the power and provides you with the best possible charging experience."

It also has an app for monitoring usage as well.

It would probably meet the requirements so, BUT it needs to be approved by SEAI first and on their list of approved charge points.

i.e. When they go live with this new requirement you can't just put in any charge point you like and expect SEAI to check that it meets the requirements... the installer (or preferably the manufacturer) needs to get pre-approval for the charge point before any grants can be claimed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Silly question: why do folks choose untethered chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have parking spaces outside my house, the charger will be moved to a pedestal in the parking space in future and I don't want someone messing with the cable by throwing it across the path or pulling out of it.

Quoted €1,250 for an Ohme Pro or Zappi 2, this includes a €200 discount for being pre-wired. Seems pricey enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the zappi is close to 1k to buy from my energy direct.

Advertisement