Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes 9 - I posted after I watched the 6 News where the optics looked very bad. They will look bad at 9 too if you missed 6 News. Keep up!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree. Irish people are too apathetic which is why FFG have ridden us for decades and left us with appalling services and a massive debt. There were some protests around the bank bailout (Leo said not another red cent for example 😊) and I do remember the Axe Tax protests back in the 1980s when things were grim. I protested against Irish Water primarily because of the crony/wasteful superquango setup but also because I knew Trickle Hogan and friends wanted to privatise our precious resource.

I do get your point though. Very few people think about the national interest and we get the self serving politicians we deserve. I think we will look back at these bumper MNC tax years and wonder where and how we blew it all so badly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

This government? It is a clown car of a government. The AIB move was always going to get massive pushback from TDs. It wasn't simply a rural issue. Some of these closures were in urban areas that had already seen Bank of Ireland shut down branches and ATMs.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You forgot to mention the uproar over burning turf

Plus you forget all the people who spent years demanding a new road to every backwater in Ireland, now the same people complaining and wondering why no public transport system.

I seen loads of people complaining because the 100% mortgage is no longer available

Plus the main outcome from the crash was that ireland needed to build a proper rental market, look at all the moaning now about companies trying to set up rentals.

But but but it's "da guberment"

Time for the RTE news. Wonder what will be the lead story?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Can't get RTE in your location? RTE has a website and streams RTE1 and RTE2 on it. It was typical RTE pro-government spin that tried to present Martin being decisive and dealing with AIB. FFG TDs did seem to be rather low profile and nobody bothered to wake up Eamon Ryan for a comment.

And the FF backbenchers are still revolting:

https://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-backbenchers-unhappy-with-micheal-martin-5822241-Jul2022/

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Charlie McConalogue on Drive Time had to admit that the government had nothing to do with AIB and that they responded to people power on eh….social media.

One for de bots and cranks! 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Govt to get credit for involving itself in something it didn't, and shouldn't have any business getting itself involved with perhaps?

It's like the magic road from father Ted.

• Advertisement

Think that he's not running in the next GE. Amazing how the whole thing turned out to be a disaster for FFG as much as for AIB. :) The other thing about the claim of the rise of online banking and less face to face and ATM banking in the last five years was that the Covid pandemic would naturally have affected those numbers for at least two of those years.

Regards...jmcc

Sort of sums up Martin's entire political career. When it comes to politicians losing their seats and careers, they can be made to move quickly. It was obvious to everyone outside the FFG cabinet that this was a potentially lethal political problem for the government. It would have affected rural and urban constituencies. It may well have damaged Martin's attempt to stay leader of FF because a real FF leader would not have screwed up like that.

Regards...jmcc

Correct.

Not quite as bad as the optics of letting themselves get caught up in the Black and Tan commemoration, but not dissimilar jmcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Looks like it's been a busy evening on the Thread , enjoyed the Heather Video , Hillarious, not that I understood a word she said , great comedy act .

It's kind of extraordinary and in one sense shows how precarious this government is, that a Banks decision has caused so much uproar and Alledgedly blindsided this government, The cynic in me doubts very much anyone in Government was blindsided and its beggar's belief no one was aware of the decision, all seems rather contrived .

Poor MM can't leave the country without having to deal with Domestic and indeed his own parties Woes. The reason for his trip has almost been lost with him having to spend every day denying his position in doubt and then 2 days being aghast at a banks decision and him embarrassingly throwing shapes.

The extraordinary farce of this Governments handling of the Ukrainian refugee crisis worsening by the day, even now begging hotels to take in more and offering €135 per night , sure sign of desperation and an almost media blackout over Irelands newest campsite .

On what should have been a quite first week of Dail recess , a week of bumbling buffoonary, and Leo uncharacteristically very quite. (Who's actually in charge whilst MM out of the country 🤔

Week one of Summer recess has almost been worse than a normal week of this government, its extraordinarily embarrassing although admittedly, strangely satisfying 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

BOI did it last year with some of its smaller branches and ATMs. Perhaps AIB thought that it too could get away with it. AIB's biggest mistake was announcing it during the media Silly Season. There was nothing happening in the Dail to take the focus off the story and even the Tory leadership contest had largely died down once it was reduced to just two candidates. In PR terms, it was a disaster both for AIB and for Martin. The more worrying thought is that the cabinet members might not be quite as bright as their supporters think. If they were aware of it then it is going to cause problems for Martin and Varadkar because this could, if it had gone through, have resulted in FF and FG seats being lost. There's already a movement in FF to get rid of Martin but FGers may well be considering the damage that another Varadkar Victory (50 seats in 2016 to 35 in 2020) would inflict.

Regards...jmcc

Well, well, well, well.

Just as I and others suspected.

There was no blindsiding, Department of Finance officials we're fully briefed by AIB, 4 days before decision was announced. Sean Fleming, yet again putting his foot in it.

Mind Boggling, yet another example of a Minister, not really in charge of his Department, Paschal cleverly kept quite, but was that actually very clever, was the silence deliberate 🤔

Surely he could have checked in with his officials, just to be sure something wasn't missed, INSTEAD he let this Rumble, Unnamed coalition sources briefing various media sources, nothing to see here and Fleming left to make a fool of himself again. Taoiseach too, now looking like an Eejit. This has a whiff of FG silly games to it.

MORE fodder for the opposition 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

They just lie about things at the time now to avoid awkward questions from the press. Its disgraceful at this stage

Morning, I sniff something a little more "Sinister"

I said earlier it was simply beggar's belief no one in Government knew about this decision. Now we learn Department officials were briefed fully 4 days before the announcement.

The story Breaks, the Hullabaloo commences, indignation from the public and opposition , Silence from Paschal and the Taoiseach,

Story gathers pace, the infamous Indo article "Paschal Blindsided", senior unnamed coalition sources briefing the press, Sean Fleming (FF) makes an arse of himself, Taoiseach (FF) makes an arse of himself.

Paschal ((FG) the actual minister in CHARGE & LEO (FG) cleverly silent, did neither not think, regardless if they were on Hols or away, to check in with their officials, just to make sure, nothing was missed and avoid FF essentially look like fools 🤔

The story let run for days and who's looking looking like fools 🤔 FF.

Whatever about the opposition being given more Fodder, FF Backbenchers and indeed senior ministers will be infuriated that this story was allowed to gain legs and in my Humble opinion, FG, deliberately allowed it to.

The Government Of Chaos has never really left us. The public lied to again.

I honestly tried to find some good current News 😁

• Advertisement

You do have a vivid imagination

Might be better to deal in some actual facts

So you can’t understand Heather? maybe if you explained the problem I could help?

A good morning, thanks again for the Heather Video, it was Hillarious, there's actually a few others I could share but that would be cheeky.

Hmmm, Vivid imagination is it now.

Perhaps you could offer an alternative view on the FG skulduggery over the past days, I'd love to discuss, I've shared my reading of the time line and sequence of events as they actually happened, perhaps I missed an intervention, clarification from the Actual Minister in charge, Paschal, if so, would love to see a link so I can apologise, did Leo have anything to say, maybe I missed that too 🤔 was there actually anyone in charge whilst Taoiseach away, why was it left to him to answer questions, Thousands of miles away, why did Sean Fleming make and arse of himself, all perfectly ligitimate questions. I await your enlightened response.

Almost forgot BA, silly me, any update on your censorship campaign 🤔

This is good news...for the opposition! 😁

Another cluster.... of bumbling incompetence and as you say inter coalition oneupmanship.

They were lying to us again.

Officials knew the specifics of the cashless plan four working days in advance of it being announced – longer than it took the bank to do a U-turn – and failed to intervene.

So they failed to intervene in something they couldn't get involved in. (And shouldn't)

😂😂😂 I was being cheeky, so to speak, apparently I've got a vivid imagination now, how I do it, I just don't know 😁

Would you go away with your good news stories. We can’t have the government being seen as doing something right! Doesn’t fit in with the whingefest mentality.

What, that they were lying?

My dog is lain here in the corner of the room his basket licking his own back side contentedly. Even he knows they were lying about AIB. 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Was already commented on, good to see some houses getting done. Fair play to them

Any opinion on the Govt lying to the general public that they knew nothing about what AIBs plans were?

Advertisement