Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i am familiar enough with it to know your claims are incorrect and nonsense.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the song is a celebration of irishness, a patriot and culture song.

integral to the very being of this country and it's rebellious fighting nature.

• I find myself in the unusual position of a/ seeing Francie as the voice of reason and b/ being in agreement with him

Cheers for that.

I see no practical way forward here only an acceptance that people be allowed to remember with respect.

And the same goes with commemoration and celebration.

Work away, but don’t target other communities with it.

That goes for all, republican, loyalist, Unionist, Nationalist, FGer, FFer, DUPer SFer etc.

The parades Commission in fairness is proof that it can be done, the 12th day itself more and more peaceful. QED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Educating people that Sean South was a fascist and is unworthy of celebration would be a good start anyway.

Like, do you think the Cork supporters should have continued to fly the confederate flag with not a word said about it? Why should others shut up when a disgusting symbol of race hatred is flown by idiots?

Why should the name of chattel slavery propagandist John Mitchel remain attached to several GAA clubs across the island? Ireland is a multicultural country. If the GAA doesn't start grappling with these issues, don't be surprised if non-white people largely reject the GAA.

The Ireland soccer team is becomingly increasing populated by non-white players who grew up in this country, which is great to see. Questions will soon start being asked if the GAA doesn't follow close behind in terms of the diversity of top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Using the Irish football team (a team whos fans sing Irish rebel songs at away games especially and the team are also known to play them on the team bus etc) as an example isn't a very good one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,588 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Just got reading the last few days posts now. A healthy debate to have, well done guys. We had to do this 30 years ago in ni football scene. It was difficult but look where it has brought us. Best of luck transforming GAA. It is possible. The same vile sectarianism was evident in the fans of ni way back then. We didn’t have quite as big a hill to climb as you guys in the GAA as we didn’t have eg players singing sectarian songs, grounds named after Uvf killers or our clubhouses used for pro-uda concerts singing about Michael stone.

it does look overwhelming but there has been some begining work done across the GAA in linking with other sports and in isolated cases of trying to open to unionists eg east Belfast.

some on here are only concerned with justifying the unjustifiable - we had them also in ni football, and they will shout the loudest. We still have a very tiny rump of them.

I would advise to focus on your own organisation and forget about the whataboutery. Some great posts on here. Very honest and very positive.

I continue to focus on making things even better for ni team setup eg removing gstq. You have many more important things to challenge eg Sean South songs before you worry about the soldiers song. In the 1980s I wasn’t focused on getting a shared anthem - we were too busy trying to deal with the same issues as you are now eg large numbers of fans singing ‘would you go a chicken supper ….’

so fair play to those on here who love the GAA and want change.

You believe he was a facist, others, as you see here believe he fought for our freedom.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that, that is the inherent problem.

If you stop people singing about Sean South, do you stop people playing songs on the 12th? Do you respond to objections about pictures of Michael Collins and the Head of the Crown Forces, the queen/king of Britain? Do you pull down all offensive statues?

Where does it stop and how practical is it?

It isn't going to happen would be my opinion.

• Advertisement

Kudos for cleaning up NI football, it was sectarian from the top down. Everyone remembers that night in Winsdor Park with Jack Charlton, even if you have airbrushed the viciousness of it from your memory.

The GAA is not sectarian in any way organisationally, and is an open and inclusive organisationa which has people of all sorts as members, including those who believe Sean South was a patriot and those who think Sean South is a good old tune.

It would be good now if the same thing could be done with the 11th night viciousness and sectarianism as was done for the public face of NI football

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

The problem the gaa always had is they can think back 100 years but they administrators cannot think forward 10 years when it comes to the games.

If it wasn't for the business of concerts, hotels and Government funding the gaa not viable as a sporting organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What a load of utter shoite!! Keyboard warrior shoite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not enough. They should have mobilised a battalion to stand strong at their gates. Maybe some under 12s with hurls.

I don't think any modern sport organisation would survive without diversification and government subsidy, certainly not one as widespread and multi pronged as the GAA. From hurling to Scór it really is a massive organisation in an Irish context.

The gaa is not a modern sport organization, they have the same system min place as was introducer in 1884, show of auld bucks going to meetings bringing the message back to the peasants.

I think the gaa should not be allowed get community funding for pitches, i am not saying they should not get funding but a gaa pitch dressed up as a community project not the way to do it.

Off topic kindof. I read an interesting article during the week where a club member failed to get compensation after falling from a roof. I was surprised at this court decision, i expect it may have knock-on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And you've continually failed to provide that documentation

Yeah good link to back up exactly what I said. There is still a tiny stubborn rump who persist. I guess your made reason for the post was to demonstrate where we have travelled and where GAA needs to follow. Less than .0001% of drunken fans were filmed in a bar singing a sectarian song and the clubs involved, the ifa, the supporters clubs, etc came out very clearly to condemn it. Contrast GAA victorious team players get on a stage and join with their majority of fans present to sing a sectarian song and we have pretty much silence and even people on here supporting it.

also contrast - as a ni fan I say clearly that that singing in bar was disgusting, wrong and those involved should be banned from Windsor Park until they go through some process of training or growing up.

francie a GAA fan thinks the singing on that stage was fine

• Advertisement

GAA decline to comment. Appalling but hardly surprising

https://twitter.com/news_letter/status/1550752586239807488?s=21

I didn't say it was fine downcow. Personally if all songs, flags, banners, anthemns etc were banished to history tomorrow I wouldn't miss them personally.

And could you please tell us what was sectarian about the song? Here's the lyrics:

'Twas on a dreary New Year's Eve when the shades of night fell down

A lorry load of volunteers approached a border town

There were men from Dublin and from Cork, Fermanagh and Tyrone

But the leader was a Limerick lad, Sean South of Garryowen.

And as they moved along the street up to the barrack door

The scorned the danger they would meet, the fate that lay in store

They were fighting for old Ireland, to save their very own

And the leader of that gallant band was South of Garryowen.

But the sergeant foiled their daring plan, he spied them through the door

From the guns and all the rifles too, a hail of death did pour

And when that awful night was o'er two men lay cold as stone

There was one from near the border and one from Garryowen.

No more he'll hear the seagull cry, or the murmuring Shannon's tide

For he fell beneath a northern sky, brave O'Hanlon by his side

He's gone to join that gallant band of Plunkett, Pierce and Tone

Another martyr for old Ireland, Sean South of Garryowen.

What needs to be recognised is that there are two versions of history on this island. One side will celebrate/commemorate one version and the other another version. They both demand the rights to their 'cultures', including yourself.

As long as they do it with respect and not to taunt the other then each to their own.

What should be staring you straight in the face here is the quid pro quo aspect. If you ask that people don't sing songs that commemorate/celebrate their history so must your community stop doing it. That means no more 12th of July parades at all. Have you thought it all through?

Sectarianism should always be condemned and I'm sorry, there is no sectarianism expressed in that song. The long battle to remove the British state from this country was not 'sectarian'. There were many sectarian acts on both sides but that attack on a bastion of the British state was not one of them.

What utter nonsense.

if you can’t see how that song is sectarian then I despair for you.

you will go to your dictionary definition and declare that the churches, religious orders, etc are the only real sectarian groups. It’s sad that you live in denial.

would you agree that if the actions of Sean south were not sectarian then the actions of Michael stone at the republican plot were not sectarian? This is fantasy stuff.

as for singing sectarian songs. I am not commenting on the behaviour in partisan clubs and pubs around the country on both sides. I am talking about major sports teams not singing sectarian songs along with their fans. You are fooling no one with your all or nothing. No memorials or all memorials.

let me give you an example. There was a memorial unveiled a couple of years ago to a young British soldier who was blown to bits in my town in the 90s. There was a discussion on where it should go. Our community would have liked it on the spot he was murdered but an adult decision was taken to put it in a hall used predominantly by the British community in my town so as not to cause any offence. You can compare that to the huge monument sf placed in my town square (without planning permission) to remember the Ira who had lost there lives trying to kill my community - some had already succeeded before they died. They have flags flying over it etc.

can you see the difference? I guess not.

The north is full of monuments to the British and Unionism, in public and the public walk past them everyday of the week. Would you ever wake up and smell the coffee?

The fight against the British was not 'sectarian'. If you want to give it that moniker then every war/conflict is 'sectarian'. It was an attack on the RUC - an arm of the British state.

You either accept that or you don't.

What happens when we commemorate somebody like Pearse or Connolly who also attacked the british state presence here? Will you demand we don't do that too? Arlene Foster still hasn't come to terms with 1916, so I presume you will.

You need to accept that there are two communities on this divided island. No one side gets to call the shots on who is or isn't remembered.

If you want people to stop singing songs about that struggle because you find them offensive then you have to be prepared for triumphalism and anti-Catholic displays, offensive statues and monuments and offensive flags to be binned as well.

The alternative is to agree to live and let live and stop looking to be offended.

So as we all remember bloody Friday this week, was that an “attack on the RUC - an arm of the British state.”

catch yourself on francie.

la mon - Protestants burnt to death because they were Protestant

kingsmill - Protestant workers slaughtered because they were Protestants

my town - Protestants bombed, burned, attacked, murdered because they were Protestants.

you need to take a serious look at yourself

I won't lower myself to type a list of atrocities committed on the other community.

Suffice to say, unionists like yourself have a road to travel yet,

Two communties, two histories....do you want to get rid of all references or find a way to live with each other and respecting what happened to each community.

I was going to say good deflection. But it wasn’t even good

You just want to indulge your victimhood and have no interest in finding ways to live together. You are part of the problem and not the solution which is why belligerent Unionism keeps getting left behind.

• Advertisement

Your losing the plot... your probably one of the yes men the gaa love to have hanging around...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement