Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Another example of utterly unrealistic policies from a group who really don't know what they're talking about.

Irelands climate and soils are inherently suitable for growing grass for livestock. That fact goes far back in history with early Irish society having based large portions of its agricultural production on cattle in the form of meat and dairy products. The gradual destruction of traditional Irish agriculture through invasion, colonisation resulted in a large-scale reduction of agriculture to growing root crops in the form of potatoes and eventual crop failure on a monumental scale via plant disease of which all to many readily thrive in our humid overcast climate

As for 'diversification' - much of our soils are simply not suitable for arable or horticultural produce. With the added downside that ploughing and cultivation of grassland is known to result in significant release of large amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

That said we can and do grow limited amounts of grain, vegetables fruit etc in the parts of the country suitable to do so already. However there is only limited room for expansion in these sectors due to the physical constraints detailed.

Some daft notion of getting rid or severely curtailing animal agricultural in favour of some hipsters idea of what they'd like for breakfast is not a realistic policy for agriculture in this country. The last people who should be advising anyone on agriculture here are the greens who let's face it - don't have a bulls notion about the subject.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just to play devils advocate here but isn’t there food factory’s that can grow veg on vertical hydroponic walls around the world.

Does this negate the type of soil you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know what group I'm a part of and I don't think it's a hipster view to think we should diversify what we produce here given crop failures are definitely going to happen worldwide due to climate change in the coming years. We import most of our potatoes ffs. The worldwide situation will also affect meat and dairy anyway given we are reliant on imported feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

I think we should Diversify to some extent but the reason it's gone the other direction is due to it not being profitable, laden with risk and the producer being a price taker.....all this in the name of "efficiency,"

Multiples and vested interests and the final consumer needs to pay a fair price.....and at the end of the day they simply are not doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Nah man. More CO2 will shorten grow season and also increase yields. We know it because climate is changing constantly and it happened quite a few times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

70 metres in 40 years??? 😲😀😀

That would be 5 mm per day! The current rate of sea level rise is 3.5 mm per year.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. 70m is the sea level rise if the all the icecaps and glaciers on Earth melted. That cannot happen in less than several thousand years in the worst case.

Ya know what my bad I’m blaming the craft beers!

It was if all the ice in the world melts that would be the 70m.

The way the green acolytes go on you’d swear all the ice will be gone in a few decades.

Yeah seen a few YouTube videos on that. Seems to be the most efficient usage of space.

Although I’m sure there must be some inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so what's happening now is natural and not because of human activity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

AL gore spelled it out in 2006 with his An Inconvenient Truth and it was jumped all over by greens, and still is by some as a truth. It was a complete load of bollix. His prediction that "in the near future" sea levels would rise by 20 feet. The average rise in sea levels since has been around 3mm a year. At that level we would not be at 10 ft by 3006,a millennium later, never mind 20 ft the "near future".

Like all prediction, especially those that come with a policy or an agenda being sold, best to take them with a very large pinch of salt

Very interesting link posted here recently on CO2 and vegetable growth in greenhouse, where increasing the level of CO2 increases growth and does so while using lower temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Some daft notion of getting rid or severely curtailing animal agricultural in favour of some hipsters idea of what they'd like for breakfast is not a realistic policy for agriculture in this country. The last people who should be advising anyone on agriculture here are the greens who let's face it - don't have a bulls notion about the subject.

Excuse me!😝

Do you think, given the majority of our soils etc are unsuitable for groeing commercial crops that we should diversity to grow crops anyway? How's that going to work?

But yeah the 'hipsters' detailed seem to be the ones who came up with that particularly uninformed policy which looks like something pulled off a tendy restaurant breakfast menu.

Yeah we import potatoes and lots of other horticultural produce exactly because just how challenging horticulture and arable production is here. We also import 100% of all pinables sold here which is a feckin disgrace too!

On imported feed, as far as I know much of that goes to the poultry, pig, horse and pet industry. Only a proportion goes for supplementary feed for dairy and beef. And that mainly as winter feed. The bulk of what is fed to dairy and beef cattle is grass, silage etc grown here.

But do you honestly believe arable and horticultural crops can be grown without large imports of artificial fertilisers made from fossil fuels? And if not where are we going to get the necessary animal manure to do that job if we get rid of the cattle etc?

As Charlie14 has detailed we live in a world where different regions can produce specific agricultural produce efficiently due to natural advantages whether thats climate soil or whatever. We import lots of foodstuffs that we don't or can't produce here and we in turn export what we do produce well. Not sure why some reckon we shouldn't import food, but dont have problems with imports such as MacBooks shipped from China etc. But hey If we're going to do it properly, let's close our borders and stop importing and exporting all goods. That should sort things quickly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

to solve this issue, there needs to be a proper study undertaken. a worldwide breakdown of emissions by country and by industry. that way you can pinpoint where the problems are, and where the easy wins are.

you cant solve a problem without 1st identifying it.

for example, ireland going full electric on transport will have what % impact on global emissions? i would say less than .00001%. thats not an easy win.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

its what you voted for? what are you gonna do about it?

I wouldn`t say we are reliant on imported animal feed. It`s more a case of you cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs. Figures are difficult to nail down on a quid pro quo basis but for 2017 we imported 800 Million worth of animal feed and exported 13 Billion worth of agricultural produce. That is a quid pro quo ratio of over 1:16, and that as Mecanudo has pointed out is for all imported animal feeds, both domestic and export, with beef and dairy exportss being at the lower end, so the ratio in reality is much greater than 1:16.

I would much rather we didn`t have to import any animal feed, but one of the main animal feeds we import is soybean because of it`s high protein content, and it cannot be grown here because of our climate. There was an E.U. funded protein aid scheme introduced in 2015 for bean, pea and lupin growing to lower the need to import such high protein feeds, but for whatever reason it does not appear to have had the desired effect. There is another alternative to the provision of protein in animal feed, but if you know anything about BSE or CJD it really isn`t a road we want to be going down, but there are others out there that have no great qualms on that who would be more than happy to fill any gap left by our exports as a result of the Irish Green Party demands.

Post edited by charlie14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Yeah, well, charlie14 mentioned Al Gore's 2006 prediction but that sort of pernicious nonsense continues to persist. Here's the Guardian predicting the same thing just last year:

EDIT: wtf? If I was conspiracy-minded I'd be wondering how the embed above says 2ft when if you follow the link the actual headline says 20ft! 😀

You have to remember that journos are not generally very scientifically literate, and some proportion of them are themselves activists who have abandoned any sort of journalistic impartiality. But I'm not conspiracy-minded -- the larger part of the explanation is much more mundane. Traditional investigative journalism is dead (too expensive), the modern version is of a shockingly low standard, and sensationalist headlines garner eyeballs.

So the above article cherrypicks one paper which is completely out of whack with mainstream science, and then cherrypicks the worst case scenario from that cherrypicked paper. This is far from unusual in the Guardian -- it's one of my favourite rags for finding examples of outrageous climate reporting.

Here's what we actually know. Sea levels have been rising continually since the beginning of the end of the last ice age. The most rapid phase of melting started 19,000 years ago and continued at a phenomenal average of 10 mm per year (peaking at up to 60 mm per year) for 13,000 years. By the end of it, sea levels had risen 125 metres (410 ft!). You can see evidence for it right here in Ireland ... there are scour marks on the top of the Porcupine Bank from icebergs that were calving off the Irish ice sheet 12,000 years ago during the Younger Dryas. That's now 200 kilometres off the Kerry coast and in 200m of water. In other parts of the world there is evidence of human civilisation more than 100 ft below modern sea levels. Overall a mind-boggling area the size of South America was lost to sea level rise.

The rapid sea level rise moderated 6,000 years ago, eventually falling to less than 1 mm per year. It accelerated in the 20th century to 1.5 mm per year, and more recently in the 21st to over 3 mm per year. This ought to be of genuine concern. We are on course for a lower end of 30 cm of sea level rise in the 21st century, compared to the 15-20 cm we endured in the 20th. Of course, even higher rates of rise are not ruled out, especially under higher emissions scenarios. But these scenarios are unlikely according to the IPCC AR6 report (although you won't have seen that widely reported because it's not a great clickbait headline; instead the headlines were plastered over with the climate alarmist Sec Gen Guterres of the UN bleating about a "code red for humanity" and "billions of people at immediate risk").

The IPCC itself did not cover itself with glory in the AR4 report, when it famously incorporated a clickbait headline itself. It declared that the Himalayan Glaciers would melt completely by 2035, citing a 2005 World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) campaign report which itself cited a 1999 Scientific American article, which in turn was based on a media interview with an obscure Indian scientist who admitted he was engaging in pure speculation. Anybody can make a mistake but it was a fantastically embarrassing incident for the IPCC who are supposed to be summarising peer-reviewed science and had not only regurgitated this non-scientific blunder but rated it as having a 90% probability of occurring. What's more, there has been further guff about India starving as the Ganges–Brahmaputra–Meghna river basin dries up due to dwindling Himalayan glaciers. That's not going to happen as 95% of the water flow is from the annual monsoon rains which are projected to increase. There are other factors affecting Indian water resources that are of concern.

Anyway, I am getting longwinded. To summarise, the 21st century will likely see 30-50 cm of sea level rise. There will be increased risk and frequency of coastal flooding in parts of the world, with a microscopic effect on global GDP. Nothing we can do will prevent that sea level rise as it is already "baked in". On the other hand, there's a whole lot we can do about coastal defences just as we have been doing throughout the 20th century. In the North Sea basin alone there have been upward of a hundred thousand deaths from coastal flooding every century for the last thousand years! (how many people know that?). We made them a thing of the past with the defensive works in the Zuiderzee, Rhine–Meuse–Scheldt delta, and Thames estuary since the last major catastrophe in 1953. If you didn't have screaming nightmares about the 20 cm of sea level rise in the 20th century then relax -- the next century will be more of the same.

One final word about climate alarmism. The ace up the sleeve of the alarmists is "tipping points". A whole range of these are available to accelerate sea level rise to multiples of the most likely values. It's a whole separate discussion, and prudence dictates that these can't be entirely ignored. On the other hand, pragmatism dictates that policy responses cannot be driven by extremely unlikely worst case scenarios. Climate resilience depends on affluence and there is a genuine cost to the misallocation of resources -- something the Greens in their ideological purity strenuously ignore. But that will have to be a discussion for another day as no doubt I have already bored the pants off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m soooooo scared … what are we going to do ? Ahhh it was soooo hot this week. It MUST been as a result of “man made” climate change . Sure what else could it possibly be ?

George Lee says it’s climate change ( the Rte economic reporter until he was magically transformed into a weather forecasting dooms day’er “SCIENTIST”) .

Now where’s my solar panels ?

I have to pay the exorbitant wages of anyone who is not connected to those evil evil bold oil people because they’re friends of a little girl from Sweden who loves travelling by fuel independent yacht. (Not her yacht btw….. don’t ask who owns it though…. hint ….. it’s a wizard who owns it)

now - let’s all knuckle down to CONTROL the weather . Ooh sorry I mean global warming ,,, ohh I’ll get there eventually , climate . Yeah . Everyone chill out. Have a Kit Kat.

The entire thing is a 100% hoax and anyone that spends one second worrying about climate change is a buffoon who should be living in Ricky gervais’s movie “the invention of lying” .

you’ve been had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

By the way . Anyone who is brave enough to challenge me on NATURAL science then go right ahead. This man made climate change myth is solely dependent on the very essence of natural science , ergo 100% reliant on following the natural scientific method. (Hint …. There’s not a shred of scientific evidence of such a thing)

so

natural phenomenon observed please ….. ?????

Get your dependant and independent variables ready to test your hypothesis to determine cause and effect (remember testing

if you don’t follow the steps to the letter of “natural scientific method” of natural science you have about as much credibility as mystic Meg or psychic Susan.

FACT …….. the steps for natural science

How Science Works

The scientific method has four steps.

OBSERVATION

Before we make any assumptions about the phenomenon we need to observe and describe the phenomena clearly.

HYPOTHESIS

Once we have identified a phenomena that needs explanation, the next step is to think about how the phenomena can happen either by a causal mechanism, or mathematical relation pehaps even an educated guess. In technical language, we form an hypothesis. In forming an hypothesis we may perform tests by gathering data and performing experiments.

If the result of our tests agrees with our hypothesis, the results add weight to our initial hypothesis it does not mean that our hypothesis is true. If the results of the experiments disagree with our hypothesis, the initial hypothesis is WRONG. The initial hypothesis must be modified or rejected. This one statement sums up the power of the scientific method. It doesn't matter how smart you are or how elegant the theory. If it disagrees with experiment, it is wrong. This one statement sums up the power of the scientific method over other systems of reasoning such as faith or belief.

PREDICTION

Our theory attains more credibility when it is used it to predict the result of another related phenomena or explain observed results the test against reality agrees with prediction.

REPRODUCIBILITY OF RESULTS

The final stage of the scientific method is to ensure that the predicted results are reproducible by several independent experimenters with properly performed experiments. The point about experiments is that the results should be repeatable which is why scientists go to great pains to explain what equipment was used, how the experiment was performed along with the results we obtained and a conclusion about the results obtained.

As more evidence is gathered in support of a theory in time it may become regarded as a theory, model or even a law. It may become established to the point that it becomes an accepted scientific fact. Even when an idea is taken as fact, new evidence may require that the range of application over which it agrees with reality to be changed. A good example of this is Newton's laws of motion. While Newton's laws work fine when applied to the world of our everyday experience, these laws break down at speeds close to the speed of light. Einstein's, theory of relativity refined the existing laws of motion to work at speeds close to the speed of light. The new theory also had to agree with Newton's laws at low speeds. Even with all the weight of evidence from experiments and predictions, a scientific theory is never proven. It can only ever be disproved.”

The debate is over alright .

Game , set , and match . For sanity .

sanity 1 .

Communist / easily lead 0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Shoog

Reduction of the national cattle herd is going to happen. Everyone in the country will pay dearly (financially and in restrictions) if it doesn't. For a sector which mainly produces for export and contributes only a small proportion of exchequer takings, it will have to see significant reductions.

The government knew that they had signed up to significant emissions cuts when they introduced the Harvest 2020 strategy so the government is directly responsible for all the painful cuts that the agricultural sector will be forced to make

Lack of strategic thinking caused this agricultural crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭ginger22

And how much of this "sustainable" food do you grow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Shoog

A lot more of our own food could be grown in Ireland. Cattle are a terrible pathway to feeding people as they produce a fraction of the end product than if we grew more of our own staples for domestic consumption. Much of the marginal land which used to rear cattle has now gone over to sheep, so the expansion of the dairy herd has expanded onto lands with arable potential.

The expansion of the beef herd was market economics gone mad and the farmers will never be asked to pay the multiple costs directly.

Would you suggest any other indigenous industry close down or be restricted because it provides exports and domestic needs?

Not only that but It's a sector which produces income, employs people and contributes to the countries economy.

I posted this previously about agriculture and its contributions to the exchequer

A quick look at the agriculture sector and that sectors importance to the Irish economy

"In economic terms, the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine estimates that in 2019 the agri-food sector in Ireland contributed €14.4 billion to the national economy, generated 4.3% of gross value added and provided 7.1% of national employment (Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine, 2020)"

The agriculture and food industry is Ireland’s largest indigenous sector. It is of major importance to the economic welfare and development of the Nation and central to the socio-economic vitality of rural communities. It accounts for over half of the country’s indigenous exports and almost one-tenth of the economy.(www.teagasc.ie)

As for reductions of emissions- that's already in progress. More to do and should be done but the important thing is that contrary to what is too often pushed by the greens and splashed all over headlines - agriculture is not the leading cause of ghgs emissions in this country or even close. That award goes Energy consumption accounted for 59% of Ireland’s greenhouse gas emissions, with agriculture (which includes forestry and other landuse change) accounting for approx 34%.

So if were going to start making drastic changes because of our emissions - we better all start walking before we start shooting cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin