Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culture around renting

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

They are investing in their asset! They will keep the asset long after they decide to stop renting. Often they will have the cost of their asset (mortgage) entirely paid off by renters. Further to this you will even find landlords complain that the rent paid by tenants barely covers their asset acquisition (mortgage) and that they only consider it rental profit when it pays far in excess of the mortgage. Mortgage is the cost of getting a property, not renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I agree with some of this, using rent to pay off the capital borrowed to invest is the main benefit of property investment, and certainly why most investors get into rental properties. But you are assuming firstly that the renter pays their rent to contribute to mortgage payments, and that the owner holds onto the property long enough that the mortgage is paid off, or that the selling price is more than what they have paid in investment and taxation. Neither is assured, if it were, there would not have been so many investment properties in negative equity, repossessed or sold at a loss.

Given the highs of current rents, does it not seem odd to you that so many LLs are selling? You could say that some are selling because property prices may not be as high again for years, but this very ability to sell when the market price is high is what scares some investors. It has become far more difficult to gain vacant possession and if the proposed legislation is introduced by SF, impossible unless the tenant consents to it. Hence even though investor benefits should be at a near record high, with no short term prospect of that decreasing, investors are fleeing the market.

That is not good for renters, no matter your opinion of LLs.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Unless the renters paid for the deposit and wages of the landlord to get the mortgage in the first place the property can't be entirely paid by tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Thanks good post with lots of info. It seems this is the way our leaders are thinking and average people will not be owning their own homes going forward. Instead we will have a compulsory pension scheme and we will be saving all our lives after we pay off our loans after finishing University.

We can then rent from international Vulture funds and our TDs who own alot of properties around the country. SF who are the supposed leaders in social justice have quite alot of properties according to something i read, i think it was a comment made by Leo. to be fair Leo is sharing the house with some poor auld devil fron Ukraine.

I do not like it but it seems the way forward.

This is the way is, i think anyone that buys a second property will likely have to put some of their own for maybe the first 5 years and hopefully all going well the rent will cover after that, still even if we have to pay say 25% of the mortgage for the first 5 years and we end up getting equity each year we are on a winner.

• Advertisement

There is a huge difference between rental markets between Germany and Ireland. For example in Germany Tenants might have few more rights, but landlords have lot more rights The obligations of tenants are far higher. Breaking of the rule and law is heavily enforced. Despite all this the problems in Germany rental market are well documented. Those in long term rentals (and old rents) are ok, those trying to get a new place to rent not so happy.

Before we all carried away and misty eyed looking for role models in Germany. Consider who the boom was borrowed from, and all the loans were paid back to.

Don't mention the gas pipelines deal either...

We need to take the heat out of the market by govt building housing, especially for social housing, and affordable housing. The private market will never do it. Until the Govt start dealing with housing seriously the crisis will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh God. This poster again? Just re-regs every couple of weeks and asks the same thing

Seems a bit suss alright.

But a conversation around looking at other countries like Germany and Austria approaches is worth discussing. They have some good ideas but also around the mind set around renting and property in general.

In general is about trying to reach a sustainable amount of profit in partnership with all involved and avoid boom and bust patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,337 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Interesting we fought and even died for the right to own your own and now absentee landlordism is back big style, baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

That does not sound like way forward to me......it sounds like indentured sevitude/slavery......**** that I'd rather die fighting than submit to **** like that.

• Advertisement

I'm with you but future housing not looking good.

Spare us the hyperbole, you two are afraid to look outside your preferred area for a home, never mind “die fighting” for your right to afford a home. Contributing to a pension is not servitude or slavery, it is a tax efficient way of assuring your income does not fall off a cliff when you retire. People now have a much longer life expectancy so you will need that pension for the 20+ years after you stop working.

I have a nice home, I also rent out property.

The Irish people are living in housing poverty and we a very rich County.

You only think about Me.

The problem is also there are so many getting rent paid by tax payer. If you can't afford to pay, stay with parents. Rent is high because rent supplement is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

With respect, you are making assumptions here...It was renting from international Vulture funds I was objecting to tbh

I think its wrong that life is moving to a subscription model...It won't affect me that much directly but I believe it will create even bigger problems/division down the line.

Fwiw I already live in the exact area I want to, but I hate the direction the country seems to be going due to decades of mismanagement. I don't buy the institutional landlord is best placed to provide housing....they messed it up imo and their only solution is more and more charges, and schemes that further inflate prices.....

It's either corrupt, populist, incompetence or some mixture of the three that's going on.

Completely agree with you on the pension, looking into what the best way to go in that regard is for me at the moment believe it or not....don't suppose you care to recommend a truly independent fee based finance/pensions advisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Interesting how on one hand so many German folk including retirees choose to rent all their lives and yet its well known that Germans are fiercely risk averse when it comes to investing, as a rule, Germans don't invest in equities, they put their money in savings accounts, the dramatic fall in rates this past two decades must have surely caused significant pause for thought as to how Germans fund their retirement while working?

I know investing in equities is small in Ireland as well but we overwhelmingly own our homes come retirement

I have been giving out about Cuckoo/Verlture funda here and elsewhere for neary 5 years and its clear nothing is going to happen as the housing is controlled by interest groups developers. The Government have had no clear housing plan tor the last at least 20 years. The problems are not down the line they are TODAY.

First was Wed when in sat next to a civil servant from mid Ulster on a flight, we chatted a1boiut all kindof things as i think its cvlear to all thar it is not far away that there will be a serious debate on UI if we getour act to gether on both parts orn the Island.

Anyway housing, she told me her daughter is at University in Colraine and she pays £200/month for a share in a 3 bed house with 2 others total £600/month, she said this be pretty well the going rate in North and be £800/month in Belfast.

Then yesterday i was chatting to a friend who has 2 girls in rented accomodation in Dublin/Galway, i know from past conversations Dublin is about €700/month for room. He also said a couple he knows moved in Dublin recently and were paying €2100/month, i do not know the detail of where they are staying. He said their previous landlord said he wanted the property for a family member.

His last comment was interesting. He said it looks like everyone working in this Country will be on the HAP payment and the Government will be paying a portion of the rent to these Cuckoo funds who are likely based in places like USA etc.

end of rant.

Different countries, different markets, different economies. NI has not experienced the same economic growth that the South has, nor the population growth, wage growth etc. So comparing Coleraine or even Belfast with Dublin isn’t like with like. I suspect that CS’s wages might be quite a bit lower than her southern counterpart.

It is the same country Ireland, there is not a hosing crisis like there is here, yes everything is priced as we seem to fallow America. Of course trhere is a population growth here as its not managed.

So we let you do the camparable towns, Belfast be like say Galway or Cork, can we get a 3 bed house for a Month in either of these towns for anything close to £600/month?

Same island, not same country/economy/cost of living.

I’m not going to get bogged down on this, responding to you can be torturous. If you google, you will see NI is part of the UK, has a separate economy from the South etc. That is a statement of fact, not an opinion.

• Advertisement

Every party in Dail has asparation to have UI, the lady i spoke to works in civil service and we were discussing the possibility of same. The fact is this thread is about a housing crisis and up the road there is not. If you can't stand the heat you can yoo know the rest. I know what i am talking about.

Then you know that though aspirational ambitions exist, the reality does not yet exist. If you keep claiming NI is the same country/economy/living costs as the South, it just makes your posts look foolish.

Thedre are lots of fools on this site when it comes to housing, i have been talking about this crisis for about 5 years here only to be told by people like you all is OK. Have a look in the mirror.

I’m not telling you it’s ok, I’m telling you NI is a different country/economy/cost of living to ROI so the cost of renting in Coleraine/Belfast is not going to be the same as Dublin.

It seems Dublin more comparable with Manhatten which makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Just reading post about vulture funds but then you give the example:

"He also said a couple he knows moved in Dublin recently and were paying €2100/month, i do not know the detail of where they are staying. He said their previous landlord said he wanted the property for a family member."

This surely is a problem with a private landlord not a corporate one, where fully paid up tenants are forced out because a family member is to be given the property.

I think the corporate one is the bigger problem as they can out-bid the couples and the potential landlord therefore making housing stock more expensive and the knock-on effect is Manhatten rents in Dublin. Then the taxpayer in Ireland is subsidising the rent onn the HAP scheme which i do not understand. Prtivate landlords also need to be contracted for a gviven time, however they also need to be able to have their property back at the end of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

Nope. But you'll sure as hell keep your mouth shut when your estate agent says they can get you +€200 above market rate on that let of yours.

Landlords will deservedly suffer like the rest of us when they come to depend on an understaffed hospital or garda station.

Considering the aim of an investment is profit, I wouldn’t keep my mouth shut if an EA said he/she could get me an extra €2.4k per year, provided it was legal, like most investors I would open my mouth and thank him/her.

LLs did suffer, greatly in the last recession, there was no sympathy from either tenants, the public nor the media as rents plummeted and owners could not make mortgage repayments on houses trapped in negative equity. It was seen as a risk associated with investment. If there is another recession, no doubt everyone will take a hit, including LLs, such is life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement