Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The hotelier lady on the radio the other morning mentioned a family of 2 and 2 getting €525 a week.

So looks like €208 each for the usual JSA rate plus the extra allowance for a child dependant.

Then another €208 for 2 kids in children's allowance monthly.

That's on top of the free accommodation, free food, free travel, free medical and whatever else.

If the rate they were saying of €135 a night per person in a hotel is right then a family of 2 adults and 2 kids is costing the state €3780 a week just in accommodation.

Lets take a month that has 5 weeks in it for the laugh.

€540 a night for 4 people - €3870 a week x 5 weeks = €19,350

Benefits mentioned on radio for 2 and 2 family - €525 x 5 = €2625

Children's allowance - €280

So for a 5 week month for a 2 and 2 family in a hotel it's costing - €22,255

And that's without the travel and medical card and whatever other freebies.

That's 4 people and they are talking 80,000 by end of year.

It's astonishing that they can pull this kind of cash out from their holes and tell us for decades we can't do **** all for health, housing, cost of living and other issues.

Always some bull crap about European law even when the media reports other countries doing things to help citizens or going against the EU with no penalty. but for some reason we can't do anything under these "LAWS" , just another cop-out that people lap up ,nothing but spoofers.

Post edited by 0ph0rce0 on

And she knows this how? “The hotelier lady on the radio the other morning mentioned a family of 2 and 2 getting €525 a week.”

Is the nightly rate per room or per person?

Your figures for unemployment assistance and children ps allowance are wrong, so I doubt that the rest of your claims are correct.

She runs hotels full of Ukrainian's and said they were being offered €135 per night per person. The link for the interview on RTE is a page or two back.

The rates were mentioned by this lady. The 525 was in reference to her claim. Could have been 2 and 3 kids maybe and if 2 and 3 sure that's thousands more. Looking at the SW rates it doesn't look that far off.

I would check such claims before repeating them. It makes a nonsense of all her claims if she’s gotten the basics wrong.

• Advertisement

These aren't my claims, these are a hoteliers claims who is working with the government to house refugees.

What has she got wrong? I'm not 100% clued up on rates TBH.

The government have offered her €135 euro per person per night for accommodation.

Both adults receive 208 euro per week. That's 416 - I have no idea what you get for a child dependent but it looks like for 2 or 3 kids it's the difference between the 525, a quick look says about 40 for full rate.

Then they get children's allowance monthly at a set rate.

I said 208 for two which is my mistake it's 280 or 420 for 3 kids.

If you know the actual rate which sounds like you do please share as it would be nice to see how this 525 is made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Stupid question, can they use left hand drive if re registered? Surely lots of modification needed = €€

• Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They should've stayed at home to fight over there instead.

Maryanne, you've already admitted yourself that Ukrainians staying in hotels are getting too many benefits!

They absolutely are.

At this stage if you're an Irish taxpayer and you're agreeing to this absolute farce, you are a very naive person.

€900 to put 700 litres of oil in our tank during the week. Our food shop was €350 for about 10 days. I nearly cried at the till as this was nothing out of the ordinary or fancy but milk went up 10 cent again this week. My baby needs formula, nappies, wipes. Absolutely cannot do without.

Wake up! We are being take into the woods and you know the rest!!! In a financial and resources depletion way.

• Advertisement

So it's 40/48 per child depending on age is that right?

And I assume it's only awarded to one of the two parents?

Both parents are getting 208 so that's 416 and 3 kids is 120 (under 12) so that's 536.

That's not far of her numbers 🙅‍♂️ 11 quid in the difference.

It must have been 2 Adults and 3 Kids.

Regardless of the exact amount there is absolutely no need for any refugee in a hotel and getting three meals a day to get full benefits .Any clear thinking person would know that is it glaringly unfair and wrong .Our own unemployed get the same and expected to feed and clothe themselves and their children .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Morning,

They drive on the Right hand side.

So just "Tried to Check" the situation with Ukrainian registered cars bring driven on Irish roads, insurance etc, and it's not at all easy to get a Direct answer.

The situation re exchanging Ukrainian Licences to Irish ones pretty clear although extraordinary in itself.

It would seem " Some insurance companies MAY insure a foreign registered car in Ireland" but its been my experience they absolutely do not, others may be able to shed some light on this.

Interestingly a link is included to the RSA FAQ section in above article but in fact its a link to an unrelated Irish Times article.

So, I thought let's see what's on the RSA website, who on a google search claim to have info on the matter, but mysteriously this is what a vistor gets when enquiring

So whilst I can accept link might be broken, it would seem few want to supply any information on this matter.

With regard to having to re registering a car in Ireland there are varying rules, exemptions, is the car being imported, residency etc. But the consensus seems to be either 6 or 12 months regardless if the owner travels back and fourth but is legally resident here.

Given we actually don't really know if Ukrainian refugees are legally resident in the true sense of the meaning, I'm left to surmise that as there is such vagueness, essentially a Ukrainian Registered vehicle can been driven here with little or no scrutiny, no Insurance and basically Gardai can't check or verify anything. I'm open to correction of course but Government, Insurance companies, RSA are terribly shy about offering any concrete information on the Matter.

Time will only tell if God forbid there's an accident involving one of these cars, and I'd personally be quite worried if I had to process a claim of one it my car.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The 50 e story comes into the same territory as leprechauns and fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Dependent adults get a reduced rate. Same social welfare rules apply to them and us

People getting all caught up in the sums having to be exact. Getting all caught up in semantics. When the fact is that with a roof over their heads, 3 meals a day, transport etc they don’t need full welfare payments

Yes is the straight answer, there are no SW deductions for free room and and food, reductions only start if an adult is working. Others on SWA obviously wouldn't have free Food and accommodation.

This said in a normal situation where an adult has dependent children, one of the parents in this scenario would be getting a higher weekly SWA payment, if this is happening in these situations, I can't confirm but it's more than likely, Childrens allowance is paid monthly.

Same could be said for homeless Irish people living in hotels and not paying anything towards their keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

State (IPAS) was paying €100+/night for a hotel room before Februrary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ms2022

There are ways open to government to manage the obviously unfair situation. Social welfare rates can be reduced for Ukrainian refugees to bring them in line. Poland has removed all financial support https://humanrights-online.org/poland-stops-paying-benefits-to-refugees-from-ukraine-as-of-today/. Also it seems that there is much less help for internally displaced Ukrainians which probably drives up emigration. I would have thought that internally displaced are more vulnerable and need more help https://www.thenewhumanitarian.org/news-feature/2022/06/30/Ukraine-refugee-displacement-IDP-aid

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

I caught a bit on the radio the other day, a pensioner rang and they were talking how they (an elderly couple) get just about the same money as a pair of Ukrainian refugees. The difference is though that the pensioners worked here all their lives, paid tax, from their pension they are to pay all their bills, feed themselves and everything else. Yet for Ukrainian people there are no bills to pay, food and accommodation are provided, they get a lot of handouts of whatever they want/need. How is fair or even sensible?

In my locality, there now at least 150 Ukrainians between a small hotel, guest houses, some adapted accommodation and a few living in Irish families. Yet so far I saw only one girl working in the local shop (to be hones, any time i saw her in the shop she is either on the phone or standing looking desperately bored). Another one living with an Irish family offers cakes and baking, her prices higher than local bakeries or private bakers. Her Irish hosts supported her prices by saying "She needs money more, she is from Ukraine" (as far as I know, that's all arranged by themselves, she has no business set up or anything, just does it from their kitchen, no certs or anything).

A lot of others staying nearby can be seen daily around local cafes or hanging around town. there also plenty of men among them, I would be doubtful to think they all are "exempt" from their military duties.

and to be honest, i do blame all those do-gooders as much as the government. People caress their egos most of the time. Because if you want to do good, there's plenty to do, you don't need to go get a bus load of Ukrainians and then run around them, like a headless chicken demanding everything to be handed to them. Yet, when you question anything or doubt, not only you are branded far right, as mentioned above, you automatically are cast as some kind of mean, heartless moron who has no empathy, does not want to help, etc, etc.

Yes pensioners on €40 more a week who paid tax all their lives have to pay bills , medications ,,GP visit if no medical card , food and sanitary products and clothing . I dont see any of them begging for free items or free rooms so they can visit the Cliffs of Moher

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I went on FB to check out some of the Ukrainian in Ireland pages for myself.

Mostly NGO's and "charities" providing information on welfare entitlements including back to school allowances and patting themselves on the back for giving laptops to Ukrainians etc.

There was even a long post on how to get to Dublin airport and book a flight for anyone wishing to return to Kyiv for a "break".

To a war zone..you couldn't make it up.

Any comments questioning this stuff are removed straight away and you are blocked from posting.

On the other pages where comments are allowed any dissension is immediately dismissed as racist or far-right.

This is is not entirely correct, but as you know and it's been explained numerous times, they are subject to a host of additional challenges, likely have to move around alot, restrictions re presence in the place of accommodation during the day and in the main get little additional supports and may have to use vouchers to seek accommodation, they are certainly not driven to their accommodation.

Most importantly, They certainly do not get a 3 day a meal plan and do not always end up in hotel's.

I've mentioned it before but will remind some who've continued with the Virtue signalling nonsense.

Im personally aware of Pensioners and vulnerable people living in my small community who don't have family near by. A private bus service still running 3 days a week to our nearest town, Tullamore for the now 36 Ukranian refugees who've arrived at my village under a cloud of mystery. The service is being Run, similar to the school bus set up and completely free for the Ukranian Refugees Only, no other passengers permitted to use it.

Then some some local do gooders felt this wasn't enough, sent out flyers asking locals could they offer occasional lifts, mainly at weekends to Ukrainian refugees when the free service doesn't run.

I duly responded, initially politely, asking why are those living locally for decades not permitted to use this free service, even offering to pay, I asked why this wonderful idea wasn't thought off for those vulnerable needing to get to Hospital appointments, got no response. One cheerleader Do Gooders house looked like the Ukranian Embassy at one stage there was so many Ukrainian flags outside it and yet not once in years did this individual offer assistance to an ill next door neighbour, I did and live 3 km away.

I told them to shove their request somewhere that the sun doesn't shine but will when possible assist those in my community more vulnerable and ignored and forgotten by these Hypocritical, vomit enducing cohort who gorge on virtue signalling nonsense and couldn't give a Toss about their own vulnerable neighbours.

Ukrainian flags incidentally have mysteriously vanished over the past months in my locality and beyond, people clearly sick of this BS. Mind own blood starting to Boil 😡

It seems to me that the 3 billion euro set aside for just Ukrainians is a complete underestimation at this stage.

That wasn't even for a full year anyway, considering the war didn't start until the end of February.

Correct its codswallop and don't forget what's been spent now is apparently from the Covid contingency fund 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/1550550675892887555?t=loCtESkXb3hPy1VnnNfy1A&s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We’ve seen the numbers and calculations here- 3 billion won’t last pissing time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement