Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB going cashless around Kerry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't pay anything for revolut. I only use it to keep track of monthly discretionary spending amd sending money to people on nights out etc. I've free banking with PTSB.

Revolut was revolutionary when it first came out. FX rates well above your standard amazon rate, free fx cash withdrawals etc.

But in the last few years since its popularity has increased its much less so.

The only thing it does is instant trf but that exists with standard banks as well, you just need to be in the same bank. Which of course is the same limitation revolut has.

You don't have free banking with PTSB. You have a mortgage with PTSB which is why you get banking for "free". But they are just making sure your current and mortgage is with them and making money off you that way.

No bank is giving you anything free.

I am with KBC and they offer "free banking" but it was only based on the customer doing abc which means you are just paying for the current account via the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

My mortgage is not with PTSB.

There's no strings attached to my C/A with PTSB, it's just a standard C/A. A very old one but standard none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm finding it a little amusing that many, many people outraged with AIB are saying they are going to switch to BOI instead.

They are clearly clueless about BOI as BOI wanted to switch to cashless banks for about 100 branches about 4 years ago, but due to backlash they didn't do this. But then last year they closed 88 branches completely.

This "victory" isn't a victory at all, we'll see AIB up charges and likely in 1-3 years they'll start closing branches rather then going cashless.

People saying they need cheque's etc are fighting a loosing battle. Vast majority of business accept cards and that includes tradesmen who are happy to accept bank transfers and card payments now.

Yes card payments cost a business money, but dealing in cash also costs a business money and it has with it higher risks such as theft. I've dealt with a number of businsses including garrages who when I asked them cash or card stated they wanted card instead of cash because it costs them less and saves them time lodging etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

None of the banks are interested in rolling out ATN's.

AIB sold off its outside ATM network in the last 2 years (the one's you see in shops), ATM's are going the way of video shops. You won't see them in a few years.

If you depend on cash like this I suggest you never go to Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

It must be great to always be right!

perhaps others disagree with your stance, obviously those who feel being able to access their cash when they need to, are wrong.

seems to me only one with a sense of inflated self is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have been thanks. Lovely country, spectacular views and countryside. Alas unlike many I still like the ability to have cash on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Went there about 4 years ago, I never even got to know what Icelandic money looks like.

Exact same here.

You basically can't get the money before you travel, but everything is setup for card there when you go.

It all works very well

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

brought some just encase, never used it, a truly stunning country, cant wait to return

...it really is time for a network of public banks, as this nonsense wont ever stop with our current lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭downtheroad

What nonsense?

And who is going to pay for this magic public bank? Consumers do not want to pay bank charges, there is uproar any time charges are raised.

And our high mortgage interest rates are thanks to the clowns who won't pay their debts, blame everyone but themselves for their stupid over borrowing, but for some reason get celebrated as being a hero for getting one over on the bank when they are in fact hitting the normal citizen in their pocket.

Sounds glorious. All taxes paid so and funds good public services.

I am 100% behind public banks and so should you. If you are struggling to understand how they can work then look at the German system.

The Green party are the only ones who are pushing public banking.

With the removal of KBC and Ulster Bank from Ireland, the competition in the market is very low and we need something to bring that back up. Public banking should be on everyones agenda

ATM's are a massive cost

First the cyber security required for them is high, trying to connect back into main system. Plus becuase they are connected back in they offer hundreds of points to connect into the main bank. Then firmware updates

Then you have to have video security running on them

Then you have to have security bring cash to/from them

Then you have guys going around with digger taking them out of banks/shops etc with huge repair bills.

Then you have the insurance costs on all of the above because they are deemed high cost

ATM started to die years ago, look at the number now compared to a few years back. It more of a slowly slowly approach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

RE I can think of dozens of ATMs near me in places like Spar, Centra, filling stations, super markets and other services like lodgment can be done at the post office, whats the big issue?

Use them at your peril, many are used for getting fake notes into the system by organised crime syndicates

As for the dozens, can you list them within walking distance of you?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...its clearly obvious that our banking system is no longer truly interested in being citizen centric, as its main focus is not ultimately for its share holders, and maximizing so, this means our needs will never be truly prioritised, they only way to counter act this is by the creation of our own public banking network, these already exist in many countries, and seem to work reasonably well, with issues of course...

paying for the creation of such a critical public function would come from the normal means of taxation and borrowing, baring in mind, some public banks were largely unaffected by the 08 crash, due to the sometimes more conservative nature of the business model, compared to its private sector counterparts, some public banks didnt actually needed to be bailed out due to this, and motored on regardless of the crash, and are still generally doing fine....

our higher rates are ultimately due to the failure of the private sector banking system from the crash, as these banks were engaging in widescale reckless lending during the previous boom, its always important to remember, 'behind every bad borrower, is a bad lender'!

its time for us to protect ourselves from the dangers of these institutions, and public banking could very well be a method of doing so.....

• Advertisement

So organised crime syndicates are now using ATM to push fake notes into the system? sounds like pub talk to me

Plus if that is the case, another reason to get rid of cash out of circulation. Can't have fake notes when no notes exist.

Ultimately the individual borrowed the funds. The banks definitely facilitated it, as did mortgage brokers, but personal responsibility has to come into this. However society seems to be moving away from personal responsibility so its easy to blame the bank and the broker for Mary stupidly borrowing €600grand to buy a poorly built apartment in Balgriffin so she could get on the property ladder.

😂

I agree, some people really need to take responsibility for the crash. People bought houses they could never afford and then it was everyone elses fault.

The problem I see is that a lot of people are stupid, banks are supposed to be the sensible one and when Mary came looking for 600k the bank should have said, no f**king way Mary you are only on 50k a year, you will never pay this off. But the person in the bank was on commission so they sold the 600k mortgage and moved to the next Mary

So yes Mary was stupid, but so was the Bank when it knew Mary could never pay it off

P.S. Mary is back "looking to get on the property ladder"

You have the main opposition parties complaining because the advice to build a proper rental system after the crash is now robbing Mary of her "forever home" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What AIB will do now instead is just start closing branches. Cash will be virtually gone in 2 years I reckon. I'm in retail and cash is about 20% in weekly sales possibly less and our premises is located in what's considered a strong working class area so cash tends to be more rife. When I opened 10 years it was 10% tops in card. I can look into it further too and it's not often people are spending 30 euro plus in cash, so people are carrying very little if they are using it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Many used by organised crime? Conspiracy theory hogwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you just want to use cash all the time, what do you need a current account for?

Do you not realise the truth of the "security features" of cash? All those metallic bits that are supposed to be to deter forgery are actually used to track movements of money. Most people know that the metal detectors in airports can tell how much money is brought through them, but in the last 20 years they've become able to associate the cash to people, firstly through facial recognition, but more easily with biometric passports and other RFID devices which we all carry.

Some people are then supposed to learn that most public buildings, using devices concealed in automatic doors, can do the same, along with various devices attached to the exterior of buildings that they don't even bother to hide since we just assume it's something to do with phones or the internet.

Anhone who believes that going cashless will give the world elites information on us that they don't already have is a sheep. They're just sick of the costs of producing and guarding cash. They'll pass that on to us by going cashless.

What are you predicting in the near future? There's at least 10 providers available in Ireland if you ignore the two banks that are pulling out.

They probably never intended to do it, but just wanted to drum up some negative publicity to avoid gaining too many customers from Ulster Bank and KBC.

• Advertisement

It's being celebrated on my local FB page. Seems strange for a village that doesn't, and never did, have a bank branch in it.

Advertisement