Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylormade P790 irons - looking to change

Options
  • 20-07-2022 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Got fit for a set of P790s last summer having been in Srixon Z585 for a number of years. Considering changing as while the distances are increased with the hot faced P790 irons I just don't get the tighter dispersion and reliable distances I had with the Srixons.

Just wondering has anyone else made the change from P790 to a different model/manufacturer and what did you end up going with. Currently looking at the Mizuno 919 forged and going back to Srixon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Haven't done that switch from P790 but the updated version of your Srixon (ZX5) has a lot of positive reviews. I tried them in fitting but ended up with the Mizuno 921 forged, wasn't a huge difference tbh.

Love the 921 forged and I upgraded from the 919 forged because the fitting gave me better performance and spin from the new shafts. Nothing wrong with the 919 forged in terms of feel just had the wrong profile of shaft. The tiny criticism I'd have is that the (aluminium?) cover on the back of the cavity is somewhat prone to scratches or dings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I am on the Taylormade Stealth, so next iteration

They go miles....like I didnt need more than a 7 but distance dispersion (linear) seems bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Can't really comment on the P790 but at a recent fitting the P770 performed really well for me, surprisingly so, in fact. I could have happily gone for them, but the Srixon ZX5 was just a tiny, tiny bit better. FWIW I'm currently using the old 850 Forged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I have the P790s, hit the P770, 921s and I think 225 mizunos if I remember right. Mizuno 921 forged were similar performing to the P790s for me, little less distance so I think you'd be ok with them. Have heard good things about the Srixon but the sole doesn't suit some people so worth trying out first I would say.

The stealth irons are very different to the the P790s I'd have thought, don't know much about them though to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Did you try the Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro on the JPX 921 line.

• Advertisement

Hot metal was literally too hot for me. Same as the comparable Callaway (Apex?). Easily reached 170+yds but some of them were going 180+yds and the length wasn't consistent. The 921 forged and ZX5 were consistent around 160-165yds. Hot metal pro wasn't available to try but I was very happy having tried about 14 different models that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Is that 170 to 180 with the 7 iron. I’m interested in a set of the JPX line and I’m planning on going for a fit soon. The forged are the irons I’m most interested in.

I would worry about the hot metal being low spin bombers which is not really what I’d be after.

Yes thats 7i. My driver CHS at the time was about 108mph ish fwiw. I think the real world I'm about 150-160yds for the 7i depending on conditions.

I play with a lad on similar handicap who has the hot metal and they work perfectly fine for him. Try them all out and see what works. You'd be surprised what works out. We all have different speed and delivery specs. There's something for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

That’s class I was looking at the JPX line. I had the Z585 from srixon and loved them. Only changed as I had a bad fit who said I needed completley new specs and changed to the p790s and has been a battle since trying to get them reshafted and turns out the old spec was perfect lesson learned.

Jpx forged with the hot metal pro for the long irons I was looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Never had a Srixon product but the irons in particular rarely seem to get anything but a positive review

Anyone tried their woods, hybrids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I've woods & hybrids from Srixon. I got fitted for them all & at the time out preformed all other brands they had. Driver Z355 gave me on average an extra 25yds! 3wood & hybrids are z65. I'm delighted with them tbh. Very forgiving & go miles!

Advertisement