Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The hotelier on Pat Kenny yesterday said there are Ukrainians coming from other countries for economic reasons.

These are people who are not fleeing war.

Is this country a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What's the average monthly income in Ukraine.

Is the dole and children's allowance more than their monthly wage.

Living here rent free with free food and taxis. Is it likely Ukrainians are saving money for when they go back?

Pascal did say in his 'summer statement' that 3Billion was projected / anticipated for 2022 on a pro-rata basis with the information at that time. So yes, it will be a total underestimation.........as Dempo put it ...'codswallop'.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

Yes, I remember you mentioning the bus service incident before. I had to read you post twice, because my first reaction was: "Ah no, i must've got it wrong." But yes, this seems to be the pattern.

Summer camp run locally provided plenty of free places for Ukrainian kids, yet there was no places available for some of the locals who actually pay for camp.

In the local school, there was an appeal for school uniforms, back packs, school supplies, etc for ukrainian children, a local do-gooders sent out emails with strict condition that uniforms and everything must be new or like new. Only later to see the Ukrainian kids to wear ordinary clothes to much annoyance of the local kids. The brilliant answer that I got as to why they do not wear the uniform when it was all gathered for them and some parents actually went out and bought new things, was: well, they don't like it and prefer their own clothes... (Mind you, kids from the hotel decked out pretty well: designer runners on a daily basis. ) So, what do we say to our kids? ah, well, sweet heart, there are rules, you have to comply with, but Ukrainians are too special to even bother to wear a uniform... What was the point then collecting uniform for them?

mind you, end of school year second hand uniform sale among ordinary Irish families always goes well every time, they don't get handed out new things for nothing.

I've lost the track of all the trips and tours for Ukrainians here. But apparently you can't ask them to participate in any community event which involves some work, like clean ups, hosting tea/coffee mornings, etc. They might take offence and think we want to exploit them.

• Advertisement

One third of all Ukrainians coming to the land of 'milk & honey' are NOT originating from Ukraine??? Go figure....its crazy

I got thinking last night after another week of absurdity, increasing costs here, thinking about the winter ahead and wondered what if and it's a big if, the War ended Today.

What's the strategy, what's the plan, What are government intentions . The conclusion I came to, after much thought is, There is No plan, Just like there was no plan last March.

Even at this late stage if a cap was introduced (that will likely never happen) we've one enormous problem. I wondered would the EU directive be put back on a dusty shelf somewhere 🤔 of course not, immediately at least. It would seem to me at least, Mass migration will continue regardless of a Ceasefire for months, so at a minimum we're looking at 100k being here by December 31st and the numbers will continue to flow, I anticipate a massive surge pre winter.

I take every single pledge by the government and their ability to actually house even 10%, of the numbers with a grain of salt, this aside from the 10.5k in emergency Accommodation and 4k waiting to get out of DP.

At an absolute minimum this appalling debacle is here to stay for a minimum of two years and if there's no intention to encourage these Refugees to return home, which I'm convinced is the actual plan, we are realistically looking at a decade or more of ongoing and substantial financial supports. It's actually staggering this Government could have jumped in head first without it would seem a second of thought into the long term consequences of what they've done.

Good intentions or Not is a monumental miscalculation and extraordinarily when they knew there was no infrastructure, Housing, accommodation and an ongoing cost of living crisis which is getting worse by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

We have been saying that for ages. The RTE, NGOs, flag on the profile do-gooders helping (paid to be?) are quick to say think of the poor old women and children. Case in point: sad music, fluffy kittens, and kids waving by to someone on a train (on tax payer funded adverts) on Irish tv.

Wake up people,that train is going to treasure Ireland and were paying for it.

I'm not a, parent but neighbours are and they are infuriated at the costs they are enduring with back to school bills and then being asked to donate all sorts of Goodies by moronic Do Gooders, some not even parents of young children . I've heard mention of special allowances for Ukrainian children, also places promised taken up.

I absolutely don't blame the Children but it's outrageous the DOE have just told schools to suck it up whilst sticking their fingers up at parents, little or no additional financial supports for schools, instead a reliance on the generousity of already struggling local parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

No actually it can't. Irish people in hotels are not getting free food, free travel, free clothing, free outings, offered cash in hand jobs.

Maryanne, I've read your posts over the last while with disbelief. Am I right saying you are on a pension? If so then the view you are projecting on this can't be viewed with honesty. The virtue signalling can only go so far. Do you not have friends and family that this debacle will have profound effects on? Seriously, when I retire if I'm able bodied I'd like to help the elderly in my community, some company, meals, shopping it would be a great way to make me feel good, in between spending most of my time in a nice sunny climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

NGO's angered at housing people on Ships.

It's time these idiots who are a drain on taxpayers money wake up and realise if people have to sleep on ships or in tents then there's no **** room for them.

Every country is doing their part and will continue to do so. But if they need to be put on ships, tents, halls because there's nowhere to go then so be it, what exactly are their proposals, all you ever hear is moaning with no alternative solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dempo, given all your on-going concern for these vulnerable neighbours, isn't it strange that in all the years you are down there, you never set up something yourself locally to help them?

If there were no sports clubs in the area and the community decided to set up a GAA club and asked for donations, would you suddenly be protesting that they can't do it because there is no soccerball club?

If people want to help the Ukrainians, let them help the Ukrainians. If you want to help the local vulnerable people, then you set something up for them.

Otherwise it comes across that you don't actually give a sh1t about the locals other than the fact that they give a contrast for you to moan about others helping Ukrainians.

Why would I be in the slightest bit interested in GAA sports clubs , they get quite enough supports, I've absolutely zero interest in GAA and not a parent.

Have you actually been reading my posts , the bits were I actually have being doing my bit, it's the Hypocrisy of others who only do their bit in the name of Virtue signalling that sickens my hole , the same individuals who normally wouldn't give a Toss about their own neighbours normally.

I've no issue with Do Gooders helping Ukranians, what I've being pointing out and you've clearly missed the points conveniently, it's the disgraceful and Frankly Vulgar Hypocrisy and I might add a further example of Virtue signalling nonsense.

Don't you lecture me on what I should be doing , you've not a clue what I've done in my community, which incidently involved sponsorship of numerous events over the years and actually helping vunerable people in my community, spare your lectures for those who may have a little less of an understanding of the Real World . I've seen real hardship, real poverty in a number of countries and I might add voluntered in the homeless sector, you know , those folks who this and other governments couldn't give a shyte about nor NGO'S who prefer to be involved in the latest sexy crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

NGOs are the cancer of modern Irish and European society. They undermine our states and democracies at every turn. Cull the lot

It seems that despite all your years of concerning and helping the locals, they still are in a bad way.

Yet your other neighbours appear to have been able to set up much better facilities and services for all the dreaded Ukrainians in only a few weeks. Maybe you should let them go ahead and watch to learn from them as to how they organise things as they seem to be more effective. You can then copy off them when you are helping the local vulnerable.

Thanks for your Concern but I've Two words I could use but will remain Polite.

Clearly you don't understand the Age Demographic in rural Ireland, nor the distances some have to travel for hospital appointments, the fact Eldery or vunerable live in very remote locations and might need occasional assistance, which I've done for years for no other reason than basic decency. I don't require the need to hang ridiculous flags outside my home to let the world know how simply wonderful I am.

I've raised the disgusting hypocrisy I've witnessed in my local community, not to get yours or others seal of approval . I've further raised the extraordinary supports put on for one cohort whilst others have been ignored for years .

I can see what your at , it won't wash with me, I'm afraid and I won't be baited , try your silliness with someone else , DONALD 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ms2022

Payments to Ukrainian refugees throughout Europe are being stopped or reduced, which is likely to drive more movement into Ireland. Poland has stopped payments https://humanrights-online.org/poland-stops-paying-benefits-to-refugees-from-ukraine-as-of-today/. Czech republic has reduced https://visitukraine.today/blog/513/cash-payments-to-certain-categories-of-ukrainians-in-the-czech-republic-will-be-stopped. Ukraine is changing worker's protection so people cannot live on wages. https://socialeurope.eu/ukraine-to-pass-laws-wrecking-workers-rights Government is on holidays and no plan to manage any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

We can't do any of that under "EUROPEAN LAW" 🙄

It is true there's a sea change but not so sure Payments have stopped entirely, what I believe is happening is a realisation that benefits in other countries far less than in Ireland and word has got out , also other governments are certainly not block booking hotels and offering meal services.

Other countries operate on the basis of supports being targeted at Hosts re accomodation and certainly don't spend 100's of millions of euros or time on suppying accomodation, they also have very limited monthly financial supports for refugees regardless of were they are from .some countries have definitely stopped taking in refugees, Paused to reflect and some literally running out of money as a result of EU directive obligations, (Lativa as an example)

Italy will be a country to watch, Government has just collapsed.

• Advertisement

European Laws can also mandate equal treatment rather than absolute levels. So it might be legal for Poland to stop money to some Ukrainians as long as that is their system for Polish people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

Just thinking here: how long do you think this all is going to last? a year? two? more?

say, they'll cease fire and sign some peace agreement. What will be next? Are they going to suspend the refugee program or whatever the name of that EU directive? How are they going to know if it is safe and possible for a person to go back? The Ukrainians placed locally come from a few different places, some miles and miles away from the conflict territories. Their claim is that the whole lot of Ukraine is in danger and they can't stay there... sure the same will be even when it is safe to go back. They can just say, that their houses got destroyed, no work or whatever.

Are they just going to keep them on SW and full board for as long as the Ukrainians will stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I would point how you know well what he is saying, but what you're at is more of the same snide deflecting and low-level nonsense that offers nothing but merely provokes others with the intent of getting the thread derailed or warnings issued - seen it all before, it's nothing new!

But prove me wrong.. Given even the media and some politicians are now starting to suggest that the limit has been reached, public support is dropping, and the inequality of the situation is becoming more apparent (you cannot deny things like welfare rates, free accommodation, meals, travel and exceptions that are being made), what do YOU think should be done?

Should the Irish just continue to "Do More"? Until when? How much is enough?

Conflict in 20% of Ukraine, possibly years, But world we move on in , perhaps 6 months.

Ukrainian Refugee crisis here 🤔 About 3 years .

Long Term financial supports to Ukrainian refugees in Ireland, Minimum 10 years, the majority going nowhere.

Virtue Signalling 🤔 already waning , but there'll continue to be Moronic fools at it , indefinitely with few listening.

Long term economic impacts on Ireland, impossible to tell but it will be horrendous.

All IMHO 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

The war was only a few weeks old when the housing minister said they'd need 35k houses for those Ukrainians that'll stay here permanently. I didn't hear of any politician pulling him up on the figure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/35000-homes-ukrainian-refugees-5725009-Mar2022/%3famp=1

If other posters want to raise the issues of some flags not being removed quickly enough, then neither you nor I have the right to curtail them from doing so. That I personally don't see any point in raising it doesn't mean that I'm going to try to stop them from getting it off their chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Question Donald: what actions have you taken personally to support Ukrainians in your local community? Paying tax excepted..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Irish working people not on the SW gravy train need to wake up and see that this refugee crisis has only magnified what's been going on for years.

FF/FG/Greens/SF/Labour/PBP and all the other mainstream parties have repeatedly failed the working man/woman with a mortgage, car, children while pandering to those with their hands out encouraged by the well paid staff of NGO's and championed by the media elite.

We need a right-wing party not afraid to call this out for what it is.

The only racism that's going on is the treatment of the downtrodden Irish working person who can't afford the basics in life.

Btw i'm not a member of any political party I'm just fearful for the future of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yeah id agree on alot that. Though I feel the left right wing thing is over valued

We need a party that values and respects those who pay tax in this country and is not afraid of hard decisions.

Varadkars Social Democrats of Fine Gael have been an awful disappointment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement