Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Lubed the thru axle threads, took it out for a 20 mile spin. Still has a creak, but I can't replicate it. Seems completely random, and also definitely seems to be coming from the stem area. Had a bit of a look, and I think I have a suspect.

When I got the bike, one of the first things I did was flip the stem. Looking at it, I made the rookie mistake (in my excitement) of unevenly tightening the stem bolts at the handlebar. This meant that the gap at the top of the "face plate" (?) was much smaller than the gap at the bottom.

I've evened that out, now, so if I can get out for a spin tomorrow, we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Ah yes good shout. Hopefully you’ve nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Not a maintenance question but ebike question. Recently bought an e-bike and worried about taking it out in this heatwave. And storing it outside all day in direct sunlight. Should I take the battery out when locked at work (work is a safe place and won't get stolen). But can't imagine heat being any good on the bike all day.

Bike should be ok, but I'd take the battery out all right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

I picked up a second hand bike to see if I will take to this cycling malarky. Been getting used to the bike as very different to my usual beater for tipping around locally on. Did a baseline test last week and I'm crap but it was the first real proper test on the bike.

Its a Plant X Nanolight 920 running SRAM Force groupset with Fulcrum Racing 400 wheels. So its a very nice build and figured for the price I couldn't go wrong really. It needs a tune up and I think I might get a new chain while I am at it. Now bear in mind I don't know much about bike maintenance but wouldn't be a novice spanner spinner. So I'm thinking a strip and very thorough clean and degrease of all components. Relube all bearings etc, new cables and shrouds all round and a reset of all the components.

Is that something I should attempt myself or should I just pay a pro to do it. I have decent tools and do most of the work on my hobby cars but as I said bikes are a new field. The reason I'd do it myself is that I would get to know the bike properly and makes ongoing maintenance and repairs much handier. If doing myself is there any good youtube vids on how to do etc that you'd recommend?

Pic for ref:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of the bearings will be sealed bearings so might not need work. first thing to do is pick up a chain wear checker (i got one in halfords for about 8 or 9 quid a few years back), and that will tell you whether or not you need to replace the chain; for me once it gets near 0.75% i change it (and others would be more conservative, changing at 0.5%)

regarding it needing a tune-up - is there anything specific you've spotted?

Go for it. The best resource (of many, many on YouTube) is the Park Tools channel. Videos of pretty much any job you might want to do.

The only thing that might hold you back is that there are some bike specific tools you might not have. Personally, I look at this as an opportunity to buy more tools...

Cheers, ordered a chain check tool on amazon prime day last week along with a few other bits and bobs.

I think the braking could be a bit better and the shift on the front isn't great. Will drop down fine but hit and miss going up. Rear shift is much better but the odd time it seems to be slightly off perfect aligment hence changing cables and what not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I have the dreaded creak/tick seemingly from the bb, while under load. Dropped the bike into the bike shop the other day and Derek popped the bb out and regreased it, and put it back in. No difference.

I copped while out on the bike this evening that the sound really only occurs when in the small ring; if using the big ring and sane approximate gear ratio and effort, there's bugger all noise. So I guess next step is to grease the chainring bolts, concentrating on the ones for the small ring.

also, it's much more prominent on the power stroke of my right foot, and it's ultegra 6800, so i'm hoping it's not the famous ultegra crank failure. i'd read somewhere that it's more likely to occur on bikes where water had gotten into the crank, and this is my dry weather bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No chance it's the pedals or anything else?

I've an occasional clicking noise from my handlebar. They're carbon bars and I used some paste when putting them on. Not sure if I've put too much torque on, or not enough or if it's just a bit uneven, or it's going to be something else again

i have list of things i need to tick off - regrease the dropouts, check the seatpost (happens more when i'm out of the saddle though), headset maybe, chainring bolts, apparently can be from a slightly loose cassette...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Ultegra crank issue was attributed to water vapour ingress rather than water ingress so dry weather cycling won’t prevent it happening. There was a tendency for it to happen more so in more humid climate but given air always has moisture in it then it’s only a matter of time really.

By the way I had a similar problem on the power stroke that I swore was BB related. Turned out to be a loose bolt on one of the chainstay connections.

I also get it if wheel skewers are too tight.

a loose bolt on the chainstay? you mean a derailleur hanger bolt?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was the chainring bolts were a little loose caused it once for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Yes but might not have been driveside. Can’t remember. Bike has replaceable dropouts both sides.

This did not solve the creak.

I have an idea though. I think it could be the bung in the steerer tube needs tightening. I'll check it out tomorrow.

On a separate note, I've no idea how long I'll keep the tubeless setup (depends on how much of a faff it is), but the Panaracer tyres I had with tubes on the old bike definitely feel more "cushy" set up tuebless on the new bike

Mine weren't loose, but I took the rings off, and greased all the contact surfaces and the bolts and the creak is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Hi

i have a 6870 di2 setup. Went away for 10 days and left bike in the shed with about 60% left on the battery. Wasn’t too surprised that it may have gone flat in that time so went to charge it and nada. No lights on the charger. No gear movement. Nothing. Is there anyway to revive it? It’s only about 18 months old. Bike wasn’t moved or and nothing knocked against it. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is the battery in the seat tube? Might be worth trying to pop it out and seeing if there’s any moisture etc, try and dry it out.

If you connect it to E-Tube do you get any diagnostic errors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I’ve taken the battery out and reset the cable. No moisture in there. I’m snookered with E-TUBE as I run a Mac and the VM stuff scares me!! Don’t have a wireless dongle to connect via a phone.

So, the steerer bung was loose. But that's not the issue.

Out for a cycle this evening, and I now think it may be coming from (wait for it) the BB. Or at least that area. I'll check chainring bolts etc tomorrow

i am a recent convert to the 'creaks are caused by chainring bolts' cause and would like you to subscribe to my newsletter.

So. I spent ages checking every bolt, removing, regreasing, tightening, but nothing seemed loose, or a likely culprit.

Then I noticed that the brake hose for the rear brake (internally routed) could move easily in the down tube. When it moves, it makes exactly the sound I've been hearing. This would also explain why I couldn't replicate the sound with braking, accelerating, going over bumps. It's random.

I went up to where it enters the down tube and saw this

I assume there should be a bung here. I'm also assuming that said bung is inside the frame, knocking off the down tube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Not a maintenance question. But recently took up a new job with a bit of a trek. The cycle isn't bad. But longer than what I'm used to. The mornings are quite getting into work. But coming home feels like I'm stuck in a circus with drivers/cars/buses doing whatever the hell they want.

My safety comes first and unfortunately a different route isn't an option at the moment because of roadworks and a blocked road. Coming home makes me feel so stressed on the bike and it shouldn't be like this at all. Not sure what to do. But I'm considering getting a camera. Not sure what it will do but to have recording and proof if something happens might help. So when it comes to safety and ignorant drivers, I don't want to put a limit on how much to spend on a very good camera. So does anyone have any recommendations for a camera?

This happened to me, the bung was loose, never even thought of it, I popped it back in and that squeak stopped. I had replaced my BB before I discovered it sadly.

How long is the commute? Personally if the aim is to put people off, make it an awful, on top of your helmet one. They look stupid but more likely someone will notice and not be an a***hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Big Go-Pro with a helmet mount is the most obvious one.

Or else Spin11 have the safe cycling Ireland jerseys back in stock if you really want to make it known

As I mentioned above - I've been pricing cables, shrouds, chain etc. Should I use a LBS or go online. Have most of teh stuff in a cart on bike24 at the moment. Are the decent or any other recommendations?

• Advertisement

where do you live? someone may be able to suggest a nearby bike shop; you won't get them as cheap as you would online but sometimes the advice you get in the shop will be worth the difference.

Advertisement