Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

It doesn't take into account the natural wane that happens in a county after a great spell of wins. Kerry 1986-1997. Dublin 2020-

It also doesn't take into account the arrival of other teams. You need to examine each year and see did a manager get the most out of what he had. In most cases Cody did.

In 6 or 7 years time John Kiely will face a similar situation. Hegarty, Hayes, Lynch, Byrnes etc won't be replaced with like. How could they? These are once in a lifetime players. Will it make John a lesser manager if he doesn't win an All Ireland but gets the best out of what he has? Absolutely not. All empires fall eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭TL17

Limerick here. Just dropping in to say what a real legend of a man. Such commitment dedication and service to our great game. He raised the standard for every one else to get to Ni bheidh a leithéid Arīs ann.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

His achievements will never be matched..and more importantly unlike other long term managers in all sports he is leaving behind him a young improving team..hopefully it.will not be long before we are back at the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

Thanks to Brian for his 25 seasons in charge of Kilkenny. Apart from all the trophies won in that period, you were always guaranteed that his Kilkenny team would give a committed performance in every match. His ability to keep his players hungry was amazing. No other manager could have matched his achievements. Whilst he undoubtetly had great players, his management in getting a modest Kilkenny team to the All Ireland in 2019 was outstanding. After the Wexford match this year, I thought his time up. He managed great performances against Clare and Limerick. He deserved to go out on a high and probably would have with a bit more accuracy in the final. He may reflect on what would have happened if a fraction of the 40+ thrown balls in the final had been penalized.

He favoured a traditional style of hurling with man on man marking and each man winning his own ball. Personally, I preferred this type of hurling and regret that it is not possible to play this type of hurling and be successful. It probably is time for Brian to get out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Ballpaddy

Don't be sad that he is gone, be happy that he was there, the best days in my life revolved around watching Brian Cody and his teams,

Eternally greatful to the man, best wishes to him and his family, his likes will never be seen again,

• Registered Users Posts: 19 longcovid

I see you're a teacher from other posts by you around Boards.ie. I sincerely hope you're teaching under seven's otherwise you would be the least mature person in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Marrooned

A legend is gone now we have to move forward.Exciting times ahead, sad he’s gone but times have to move.I hope there is a bit of competition. Just for the laugh Henry Shefflin, Derek Lyng, Eddie Brennan, Michael Walsh, Andy Comerford and the two men already there, did I leave anyone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

The mention of "the arrival of other teams"does, however, imply that Kilkenny's surge of success was achieved partly on the lack of other teams. This might be a point of argument considering that Kilkenny's main rival in the early Cody years, namely Cork, declined, maybe permanently. Did that not leave the field open to Kilkenny? What direct rival did Kilkenny have then? They played Tipperary in several finals and you have already pointed out how impoverished that county was/is. Yet, Cody teams managed to lose three finals to them. In hindsight, did he benefit from a weak era in hurling, and struggle when (as you say) other counties emerged? (Look at the rag order Wexford were in for most of the Cody years and look at their recent record against Kilkenny). It's an interesting issue you raise.

The emergence of a strong team(s) when you're weak.

Cody is a great manager, no caveats. He's the reason the great Tipp team 2010- only won 3 All Irelands. He broke the Cork game. Where are you from?

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me where Rosita is from? She says she's not from Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Interesting that cody has stepped down as team manager. But no mention of the management team .Could Mcgarry or Gorta just step up. it might be easier than bringing in lyng and then having to replace u20 management.

Give it to the 2 lads for 2 years and see where things lie then .Might be a few more names available without having to go tipperary style.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

My understanding is she is a rebel..begs the question why she is here stirring and not on the cork thread celebrating the fact their saviour hoggy is intending to stay on next year..maybe that would require some positivity..

Tipperary most certainly not great. As you said yourself earlier (funny how the same criteria change form depending on the argument) no back to back, just 6 titles in 50 years (not sure of the relevance of this but let's go with it since you raised it).

Also lost to Limerick in Munster in 2013 and 2014. Lost to Cork in 2017. They are simply being over-rated now to gild the Cody lily. It can be argued that in finals he beat fading Offaly and Clare teams, we'll give him Cork even if they couldn't even win Munster in 2004, and then beat middling Waterford, Limerick and Tipperary teams while managing to lose more than once to Tipperary. He was struggling to overcome Tipperary teams that were hammered by Cork in 2010, and as already mentioned beaten by Limerick in 2013 and 2014. Great team my eye.

Cody's record is excellent and he was clearly a good manager. But there is another angle which is that the numbers got inflated in a weak era.

Thanks.

Absolutely. Must be a WUM. But such a poor one it's hard to know!

The Tipp 6 All Irelands was shown how you can manipulate figures. Like your Cody no all ireland in 7 years statement. With no context.

Look I'm not entering a school girl debate. Because you can literally argue anything. Look at the tributes pouring in and apply common sense. Every team looks weaker after they've been beaten.

Skedaddle now Miss do something productive!

Ireland has never seen his like before and will never see his like again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

The more I read your posts the more you come across as a very sad and lonely person, I genuinely feel sorry for you. As far as your attempt at wumming on here today goes, it's an absolute waste of time, your anti KK posts over the years leaves you with absolutely no credibility on these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Anita22

OMG! That's actually shocking. Really only posters from the county should be on the thread.

This Rosita lady doesn't like Brian Cody and should enter a World shite talking competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

• Advertisement

You are entitled to play your own mind games re.Tipperary but I'm not sure how saying that Kilkenny have 0 All Irelands in 7 years is manipulating figures. As Eoin Murphy has pointed out several times, a year without winning an All Ireland is a failure and a wasted year. You can draw your own conclusion on the last seven years of Cody's reign using the view of one of his players if you want a context.

Obviously if ignoring reality we could believe that "Hoggy" has 5 All Ireland medals. I'd never recover from the hangover of the celebrations though. All that Murphy's though......yum, yum,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Gorta is Martin Comerford. Hopefully Jimmy Walsh isn’t involved in the selection process.

When someone doesn't tell you their county, says a lot.

The comment she made about nothing in this country for old people about Cody was very low.

Cody is living life. Not a thirty something online on another county's forum stirring. She could take a leaf out of his book.

You go win an All Ireland from 2016-22 after Shefflin, JJ, Tommy Walsh, Richie Power, Michael Fennelly etc, some of the greatest hurlers ever retire. Micko O'Dwyer couldn't do it in Kerry.

As Eoin Murphy said you try and win every year, stop trying to twist his words to suit your I hate Cody, old man, raméis.

You can't even say where you're from. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Always gave me the impression she was from Tipperary, a bit of a cheerleader for them over the years. Came on here to dance on our grave after the All-Ireland and is back today because Cody's retirement presents another opportunity, very very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I just hope there is a selection process and not just an appointment.

Plenty of candidates.

Derek Lyng,

Michael Fennelly,

DJ Carey,

Tom Mullally

Brian Dowling

Martin Fogarty

Mark Dowling

Gorta

I think there is no way Henry will leave Galway this year, I just don't believe it's in his character to walk away after one year. I also think Eddie and Herity are probably out of the running as their relationship with the current county board is not great from what I've heard and I think the feeling goes both ways. To be honest I think we need someone like Eddie or Herity to shake up our setup but we won't get it. Whoever it is I'll be fully behind and will support. I think two crucial appointments for whoever our next manager will be are his hurling coach, to be able to translate his ideas on how to play the game to the players and a top level S&C. If we have these a lot can follow on from there.

Surely she's in primary school and not a primary school teacher?

You all admit that Rosita is either a total WUM or a sh*te talker, so why do ye continue to respond?

• Advertisement

Where are you from? Are you ashamed to say? Will it be 18 years since you won the all ireland next year?

Very..cowardly not to say. Brian Cody lives rent free in your head chicken 🤣

Advertisement