Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A long time, as long as Putin is in situ. He won’t be backing down.. he’s already signed into law that he can serve 2 more terms, which is roughly another 12 years…

elections won’t be lost by him it’s a ready up… this is long term long term long term……

more and more Ukrainian people want to arrive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

If you think 3 billion a year for Ukrainian refugees for hopefully 1 year only ( it won't be one year only) is bad wait until you hear that NGOs receive €5,500,000,000 of Irish tax payers money EVERY year!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Googled this. Median monthly salary appears to be c.usd800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

NGOs are very loosely defined though, includes hospitals, universities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So again, what do YOU think should be done at this stage given where we are now. How much is enough?

Let's hear you provide answers for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And that is heavily distorted by the big cities like Kyiv. it’s likely less than half that for the majority

I'm going to bite the bullet and start hounding my local and national representatives for answers as to why Ukrainians are getting way beyond disproportionate amounts of Social Welfare and supports....

Are there plans for a cap on Ukrainian refugees? How much is a night in a hotel per refugee costing us? Why are they putting on buses for the refugees and not for local elderly and vulnerable people? What are their plans for student accommodation come end of August? Do they have plans to cut SW support and get the refugees to work? What are they going to do about schools that are oversubscribed and they are prioritising Ukrainian children to give places to? Have they started any vetting programmes and background checks for the people we are supporting? ETC ETC ETC.

Jesus C, when you begin to list all of this shoite, it has been completely mishandled from the Get Go.

They are the greatest scandalous farce of the past 25 years…all cronies on massive salaries. All in with the media and political elite too. They sicken me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just a little update from Kinnegad. Folks, some will recall a large number of Non Ukrainian refugees were place in a disused hotel there .

Uproar locally, for a number of reasons. Important to note these Folks were actually invited in by the last government, they are not illegal and are part of a separate program

So suddenly these folks that Don't look like us are being sent to Tents and Guess who's replacing them 🤔 🤔

I'll leave it at that and whilst I appreciate people's mixed views ,this is absolutely scandalous, no matter what people's views may be on Refugees/Asylum seekers.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I would believe a word of anyone with that handle says. There is no mention of tents. That account will wonder why we have no space but allow infinite appeals and no deportations

• Advertisement

I was more interested in the Minister and Local representatives response which actually confirms what is going on. Again, I understand people's feelings on both issues.

Bit another insight into chaos that prevails also 😏

It is rather interesting, though I think the narrative is families is important to those in Kinnegad.

The "it's ok its Ukranians" is going to build resentment, a number of people I work with in Visas have already commented on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

The most appropriate action at this stage is to get rid of them all. Flights out of the country for each and every one.

Brussels rules do not allow this though

I think the chickens are coming home yo roost with open door economic migration- it’s becoming so big that it is very visible now in local communities- these people are competing for scarce resources and not surprisingly local people do not like it.

I agree , but I think it's a little more than just "Families" , I don't do Facebook but have seen some of the local commentary and it's ugly.

The lack of consultation has been shocking for years generally. I think resentment growing generally regardless of what cohort is involved, I'm just flabbergasted at how government either ignored the warnings or just don't give a shyte until there's local flare ups.

Well said and it's really going to get very heated .

Seriously heated.

when the chickens come home to roost at the result of these decisions.

i think in about 3 or 4 years time the country here will be on its arse quite frankly… borrowing at the current rate is unsustainable. Paying back ? For years…

that’s before any social problems are looked at and addressed. Of course they won’t be..

new completion date for the Metro is 2034.. I’ll bet a grand with anyone that there is no Metro here in 2034… you’ll be lucky to afford a clothes line never mind a metro line.

when Ukraine is acceded into the the EU ? The rest of Europe will be flooded, that is just a fact… it’s a very poor country that is neighboured by another country ran by a Hitleresque psychopath…who invaded them…it’s in the interest of huge swathes of Ukrainian people to find elsewhere to live… for safety, opportunities and life comforts and wellbeing.

how that will impact native populations which they come to live side by side…they won’t care too much. 😵‍💫

the EU has failed and is about to implode over the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

And locally here one bus route in an area where tens of thousands of people live is in danger of being scrapped..one already has been.

I wonder will Ukraine ever fully get into the EU Tent (no pun intended) , we have this bizzare spectle of Miliions of displaced Ukrainian citizens and whilst many will return, they certainly won't from Ireland. Oddly enough over crowding and Tents may change that but I know the plan is to block book more hotels for the winter, it's extraordinary.

When and If the EU Directive is suspended the Irish Government will have to make some serious decisions wether they like it or not . Wether they intended numbers to reach 100k (Highly likely) I believe they quite deliberately wanted 40k ish in the Niave hope Irish people would accomodate them and they'd fill hospitality jobs, instead they've ended up being free guests of the hospitality sector at enormous cost to the taxpayer.

I seriously don't believe the Irish people would Tolerate offering Blanket Irish Citizenship , they've only got Temporary protection so it's going to be a serious conundrum, I've always seen this fast tracking of EU membership (an absolute disgrace) as a means to get over the Citizenship challenge. The problem with this however is the costs and then the EU being obligated to commit Billions to rebuild the second most corrupt county in the world. A mess no matter what way we look at it. At a minimum it may take up to 10 years to get full EU membership if ever and meanwhile we are looking at state supports for at least 40k , perhaps more for a very, very, very long time.

I absolutely agree I can see the EU imploding over this , their leaderships approach is completely unsustainable, eitherway our own government have created an absolute mess and clearly still don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think anyone would a bit of a memory can see where all this virtue signalling & woke politics has come from. Since Fine Gael came into power & more importantly our incumbent Taoiseach, it seems like Irish people have been left behind not only in favour of Ukrainian refugees but also in terms of American multinationals getting very favourable tax advantages not only in the business sector but the property sector here also.

Fianna Fail for all their faults, I dont believe are as bad as Fine Gael, they are saddled with a lame duck of a leader & Taoiseach, I've rarely seen a weaker one in my lifetime. They have some decent party members but are stuck in a coalition with this lot. In saying that, they are a disgrace aswell.

But lets look at some of the personalities that make up Fine Gael, Varadkar, McEntee, Coveney, Harris, Madigan to name a few. I dont think you could come across a more woke, self serving, arrogant, corrupt party who have seem to have utter contempt for Irish people. Id like to see the statistics behind the rise in NGO funding since they came to power.

I 10000% agree with the above, it’s absolute contempt and attempting to posture and position themselves to be enabling to receive the votes of people who will become citizens here.. ‘ remember when FG did x for us ‘

Martin just isn’t a leader… he has capable aspects but leadership isn’t one… no other time in the history of the Republic has strong leadership been required and we have Martin, and then Leo skulking in the shadows.

Maybe if some of the tens of thousands actually used the bus, it wouldn’t have been scrapped. Same goes for banks. Use them or lose them. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,442 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I believe they quite deliberately wanted 40k ish in the Niave hope Irish people would accomodate them and they'd fill hospitality jobs

I think you could be on to something. Fella with a B&B down the road was giving it the whole wink-wink-nudge-nudge last year that he had something in the pipeline. I now suspect he might have gotten onto Putin directly and forced him to invade Ukraine as B&B fella was finding it hard to get kitchen staff.

They were certainly being used, but your narrative certainly enables you to know better doesn’t it.

Wow. We can really see where your allegiances lie in this whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And Mary Lou coming over the horizon, sorry I can't put a rosier complexion on the future for you, it's a cod of a country really when you examine it, constantly looking over the neighbours wall and pointing childishly instead of tending our own plot

Exactly, in addition I didn’t even mention route numbers but Maryanne can tell us people are not using the route. Jeeeez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

They've been in power for what, over 10 years now mainly as a protest vote against old Fianna Fail destroying the country in another way. And in fairness, Fianna Fails policy back when the Celtic Tiger was roaring has had an affect on the situation we find ourselves in with the current housing market.

Id agree with the point, that yes, he isnt a leader. Varadkar has shown many times, hes a snake in the grass and is literally running rings around an old man who just wanted to be able to call himself Taoiseach one day. Make no mistake about it, Fine Gael hold the balance of power in this coalition & the experience. We've seen numerous examples of their contempt for the current Taoiseach and the way that they do what they want.

Whats happening with this Ukrainian situation comes back to politics obviously. People need to put pressure on their local representatives & vote elsewhere when the next election comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement