Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Alot of scutter wrote here today since two o clock by a minority unfortunately but the whole country and beyond have nothing only respect and admiration for cody.He made mistakes as did every single human. He made huge calls and tough decisions,some unfair and some ruthless but all for the better of kk hurling in his mind. He was a driven winner and a proud kk man. He wasn't a money man as anyone that has anything to do with clubs from other counties will vouch for. He demanded discipline and respect. He got the absolute maximum out of players. He challenged their inner self. He raised the standard absolutely no doubt.

The Henry thing didn't look good this year but cody asked Henry In as a selector and hoping he would succeed him. I've no doubt this is what left a sour taste In his mouth. Henry won't leave a lucrative job in galway to work for free in kilkenny.By all accounts it looks like Derek Lyng will get it but as a previous poster said there should be an interview process at least. It's obviously a huge job and maybe lads will want to let the dust settle for a few years before wanting it. There's no mention of the selectors in the statement but maybe that will come at a later date. As Brian said kk hurling will move on and of course it will but Brian deserves all the plaudits he gets we as supporters can never thank him enough and I've no doubt he'll be in the corner of the stand away from the crowds at the club matches next weekend. He has kilkenny and the village in his veins.Alot of lads were critical including myself so it will be intresting to see how the next few years unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Now there's a post worth reading. Thanks Brookville 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think everyone should come to agreement, no engagement with Rosita until he/she reveal their county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

And beat Kilkenny along the way. What does that say about Kilkenny last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

My county is Limerick as mentioned on another thread a few weeks back. Not sure what the big deal is. Still haven't heard a cogent argument why it matters. Though the thought of people having the discipline to not engage with me as you suggest is laughable. Obviously were that to happen my life would be over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

They improved a lot since last year. Cork went backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

After the shite you've posted today I've no reason to believe you anyway...

The "scutter" is simply pointing out that the last seven years of his tenure was not successful by previous standards. (Its not new of course, some people here have wanted him gone for quite some time) But it's a simple fact, if unpalatable for some, but more rational than telling us what he has "in his veins".

If people want to argue that he was playing much better teams than before (which is probably true, look how Kilkenny struggled past Limerick in 2014 for example) fair enough. Hurling has moved on hugely in recent years. But "where are you from?" or "piss off" seems to be as articulate as the defence it gets.

Maybe it's too soon for balance of course. He made a fantastic contribution but I'm not sure why the barren spell he presided over for the most of a decade is not to be discussed. You call that "scutter" if you like but it's like water off a duck's back to me.

Then don't shaggin' well ask! You can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement

I read an article in a newspaper about Kilkenny recently that seemed to be a collage of opinions from this thread. I look forward to a few knowing pointed barbs in the national press in the coming days. It's so exciting really.

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@Rosita do not post in this thread again for 2 weeks. Thread banned until 7 August.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Anita22

One thing I'd believe is it's water off a duck's back. You're a cold fish.. or duck.

It has been pointed out to you ad nauseum that Kilkenny 2016 on were average, Cody got everything out of them. Ger Loughnane described the 2015 All Ireland winning team as just 'functional'.

Of course he got criticism from Kilkenny people. No one is perfect.

You said his last years were a failure, let's write off Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Caesar, Maradona and practically every genius in every field so. You nitwit.

You're scuttering and scouring the thread out. Some imodium might soften your quack.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Anita22

So exciting🤣 Your a WUM. You've been waiting for this day. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Laois Gal 16

Brian Cody you're the greatest gaa manager. From a Laois lady.

Thank you so much for banning that poster.

Found it 🤣

Very nice 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I’m biased. Brian taught me in 1979/80. He trained us under 12 with Math Ruth in 1981/82. He’s from my club. But.

His dedication to Kilkenny will never be surpassed. He never took a wage unlike most of not all of his peers. He encouraged his team to help other counties with prize giving etc and never demanded a cent. He gave all his money from his autobiography (which wasn’t a great read) to our club..

He got slated as a player by a lot of people in the county but came back and proved them wrong as the first city captain to win Liam.

He made some very harsh / tough calls but he always did it with the best intentions of Kilkenny.

He reinvented Kilkenny when needed and changed us from a team of hurlers to a team of hurlers with a fight.

He was blessed with great players but he blooded lads that others wouldn’t have. And we never lacked a fight under his tenure.

We will never see his like again. We will never see his success again. He brought us to the top of the tree. Just look at what he achieved for us.

Thank you Brian for everything. Enjoy retirement.

Brian Cody. The Greatest of All Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Like a lot of outsiders, I found the internal debate in Kilkenny on Cody interesting. I couldn’t see how people felt Kilkenny should be doing better than they were.

Without doubt the greatest manager ever, it was incredible how he kept successful teams going and going. Even in the last few years he was clearly getting the most out of what he had, I’d argue he’s the hurling manager of the year for 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Would be if she didn’t go and create a new account straight away. Sad she has nothing better to do

Just had a glance over at the Limerick thread and not 1 comment from yourself since Sunday to acknowledge another All Ireland, I'm a doubting Thomas about your claim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Great win in the camogie today, Galway probably left it behind them with some poor decisions going for goal

Probably from a non high profile GAA county. They often latch on to other counties. And are way more bitter than natives of a county.

A minority of course. I don't mean to insult any county. But there's something unusual here.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

As a tipp man it kills me to pay homage to him!!

but what an amazing man who presided over some of the greatest players to ever play the game….tj being the greatest of them all.

while we all know of his huge achievements, what was nice today were some of the stories I heard regarding how he’d go to clubs in other counties presenting medals and insisted on paying his own way.

Ive hardly ever see one of his teams really beaten ( bar tipp in ‘16 and ‘19) but bar the trophies what he leaves behind is a staggering attitude of winning and ruthlessness and a never say die attitude. A mentality that’ll persist under the new manager. Despite being second best to a top class limerick side there was only 2 points in it and he leaves some crop of players for the new man.

a true Gael.

Nice to see Brian get a boladh bos on Up For The Match football.

Tipp or Cork, most likely Tipp given her posting history. If not a smaller county.

And you're a true Gael yourself Sir. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

They lost to Wexford, Galway and Limerick, hardly call that improving.

• Advertisement

They lost 2 games that didn't matter and the all ireland by 2 pts to a great team.

They beat Galway when silverware was on the line. Cork lost a league final, v Limerick, v Clare and Galway in championship. They haven't won an All Ireland in 17 years. Despite having the largest amount of hurling clubs and players in the country.

Until you get your own house in order we won't be listening to you. You can waffle about underage but senior is where it counts. And you gave up last year in the final.

Advertisement