Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Completely agree, but unfortunately the system is setup to discourage exactly that and favour the incumbents

From cost, to media bias or just lack of coverage, to the damage that most of the smaller left groups have done to the whole idea of an alternative or the likes of Renua who had some good ideas but shot themselves in the foot with their stance on abortion.

Then even if they do manage to survive all that, they'll be used as a useful mudguard by one of the Big 2 to take the brunt of the more unpopular policies and be decimated in the next election.

I've posted about it before, but we have serious issues with our political system as a whole not just FF and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

You must be in favour of closing down the rail network then, it’s completely propped up by government funding - all those pensioners on free passes don’t help.

Are you familiar with the concept of a public service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

And the hse, Irish water. All the NGO's. Plenty of stuff propped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

regardless of his past affiliation with the NP he seems to be the only guy on the media stage who asks the hard questions and is dogged in his search for answers to the present situation - one can make up their own minds whether he is correct to question or that he should clam up and move on .As seen in all videos people get very uncomfortable and indeed vexed when he asks simple questions relating to the immigration situation here

He was heckled and shouted down when he wanted to make his point -brow beaten to try and get him to fall in line. That’s not a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

There is a pretty good case to be made for closing the rail network, given the improvement in the motorway network. A bus from Dublin to Cork in 2.5 hours is the same of the train, why duplicate? Same for Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there a thread, or Facebook group, covering peoples pledges and experience of releasing their second home, rentals, holiday homes to the humanitarian effort? My parents are about to release their holiday home but are naturally a little nervous.

I would appreciate being directed to a good resource, not sure 200 pages here of SFvFFvFG achieves anything.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

How many buses would it take to accommodate a train load of people? Emissions, pollution from tyres etc. But mainly people would oppose it because some things are just good to have in a civilised country.

If the rail network is not paying its way, then yes. It should be closed down.

Personally, I hate waste. Countrywide free travel is ridiculous. It should be like the UK model and free for local travel only. I’m saying this as someone “entitled” to free travel for myself and my tomboy husband! If we wish to travel to Dublin, I see nothing wrong in us paying for it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It's not 200 pages of SFvFFvFG, that's just a lazy interpretation or the thread imhv

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

At various times i've voted FF, Green, Independent even PBP as a protest.

At this stage i too would vote for a NP candidate as I can only see the current situation getting worse.

Like most people i was pretty passive until now as I think the political and media elite are completely out of touch and have gone too far with this unlimited immigration.

It's now impossible to raise legitimate concerns without being branded a racist. This country no longer feels like a functioning democracy.

I'm even contemplating joining one of the right-wing parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She obviously thinks ‘public transport’ is

Yep, I t’s required regardless whether its profitable. Those routes im guessing are profitable as they traverse various high density’s population centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The NP can’t be allowed power, that’s not an option. Look at the excessive damage a small party like the Green Party is doing to the country. Voting for such extremist parties won’t solve our problems. Unfortunately politics is broken here now as well as in many other countries so protest is the only short term option for change. I don’t see the appetite for that though.

Indeed. Provide public transport at a level that is not wasteful. ie. If x amount of busses will suffice, do not put on x+1. Simples.

Seems like it might be the only way to drag a main party slightly to the right. An increased vote for NP across the state would be noticed even if no one was actually elected into office

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Any protest would immediately be shut down and instantly forgotten.

Successive Irish governments have now created the perfect storm where people flock to populist right-wing parties.

The 'native people' vs 'elites' who they believe are ignoring the 'general will' all adds up to populism.

SF are left-wing populists as they identify the threat coming from above (elites).

Right-wing populists see the threat not only coming from above but also from below (immigrants).

All that is needed is a charismatic leader well versed in rhetoric (Trump, Farage) for right-wing populism to take off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Apologies, I should know by now not to bother engaging with you.

Post edited by slay55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I disagree with your comment on FF being the only party which understands the limits that society will accept, all parties are scared shitless of populous revolts, everything done since the water charge protests highlights this:

- PUP and business supports were introduced to prevent rioting including providing PUP to collage students working a few hours a week but then getting 300+ euro per week.

- the 200 euro support for electricity

- the reduction in petrol/diesel of 10-15 cents.

- They want to increase the minimum hourly rate/introduce a basic standard of living allowance just to pacify the lower social/working classes.

Everything, absolutely everything related to the population in terms of policies is to suppress riots/government anger, they(every political party) are extremely afraid of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

are you actually Irish? Because all your posts come across as absolutely hating the natives here

Free travel is just one example of giving something back to the older generation who slaved to get this country to where it is today through recessions and hardships, saying goodbye to their kids at the airports and ports, high taxes, rates, huge mortgage interest rates and where their labour wasn't always rewarded monetarily, in a time where there were a lot less labour laws to protect workers. I don't begrudge any pensioner free travel or medical card etc, they all laid the foundations from which we all benefit from today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

If you give your holiday home to an immigrant then it moves the que on. Another family will come in and and lay claim to scarce benefits like housing and health care, with the added bonus 203 euro from your tax contributions.

Don't do it. This country has done enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

email your local td if youve a problem.

how many of ye have?

none I reckon.

lol

What's the point, Most are on board with it. like Irish water once enough were on board everyone was labeled cranks. Like Minimum alcohol pricing. All people got back was a Email about health.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for throwing in the comedy into the debate.

Dublin to win the Sam tomorrow 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And you know this how?? You reckon wrong I can think of a few off the top of my head who admitted doing exactly that on here

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O Dear another long time lurker who's joined Boards today especially to enlighten us all.

Firstly welcome to boards.

Now rather than me or others repeating ourselves, yet again. Could you possibly go right back to the start of the Thread and slowly make your way through it, to get a Better understanding of what's actually been discussed rather than starting under the assumption the Thread is filled with Hatred and Bile.

You'll of course find some outlandish tales, very determined views, heated debate but you'll also find, objectivity, understanding, compassion, generousity and even kindness.

However, you'll notice a change in mood as people who've actually been on the Thread for months grew frustrated, Embarrassed, Bemused Disgusted and angry at the debacle this has turned into, albeit it was predicted months ago.

Annoyance at Double standards, Shenanigans, Blatant Hypocrisy, Incompetence, Two Tier supports systems and general pee taking will become apparent as you grasp what's been discussed.

If all this is too much for you, perhaps join us and offer some insightful observations of your own, rather than prejudging what you think is actually going on here.

But just be aware, the Virtue signalling ship has sailed, Sympathy wearing very thin and I wouldn't anticipate generousity of spirit if you intend to assume we are all xenophobic.

As for your points raised, we've heard it all before, discussed and debated , it's tiresome and perhaps you've actually not been lurking at all. More than enough has been done for what you describe as "Our New Neighbours", The Inn called Ireland is over full I'm afraid, Magic money Tree bare and frankly the sympathy well also driied up. I doubt many have the patience or wherewithal to further discuss what we already know to be utter nonsense.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Ahhhh you deserve the crown. Wear it well.

People down on their luck! We have plenty of people like that here already. More and more people will be pushed into poverty traps this year with the absolute dire cost of living here. Real breadline stuff. If you're as charitable as you say, reach out to these people too. I have beautiful, elderly neighbours who are in absolute danger of freezing to death this winter. It's horrid. All the while, a lot of Ukrainians are being handed a lot more benefits than anyone else in this country. People are allowed to call out these injustices.

P.S, I'm a teacher too but I like to see the wood from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Bollox.

What is the difference between ukrainian refugee and any other nationality and race?

None, yet only ukrainians get full social welfare, rest of them like those in direct provision gets measly 20 a week.

• Advertisement

Not biting. See we add make a decent life and loved ones can't come. There is no Gov policy period. So No idea where your getting this guff. 1 out of 10 blatant.

🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement