Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Can you elaborate a bit on why you think it’s so grim……..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Brian Cody is stepping down as Kilkenny SH manager. #GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Worst kept secret of the week

I’ll just take this opportunity to acknowledge the man was an absolute genius. In Waterford we felt the brunt of it more than most

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Brilliant manager, and he leaves an amazing legacy. His teams always fought to the bitter end, and showed amazing work rate .

We could hardly convince him to come to Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Tough luck on the girls today - corks experience stood to them plus some dodgy refereeing mind you. A very young Waterford side who can hopefully drive on next year - very proud of their display today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Watching on tv can be deceptive sometimes, but it looked like Waterford left Cork use Aisling Thompson as the free player for the whole time she was on? Seems crazy given the influence she had throughout. That Cork change also saw them swap Beth’s marker, who did very well to quieten her after a thunderous opening 20 mins.

Pity at least one of the goal chances weren’t converted in the first half, that would have gave the girls huge belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

any truth in the rumour of Paul McGuiness being linked to Waterford and will essentially act as Waterford's version of J.P McManus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Whose Paul McGuinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

The former U2 manager? Thought he was a Dub though

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

his old man was a Scouser and his mother a Kerry woman, he was born in Germany, educated in Dublin, lives in Wicklow so technically no major allegiance to Dublin, could be the answer to Waterford's prayers if true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

camogie team unlucky today cork experience told in the last 10 minutes. A young team and hopefully todays game will stand to them in the next few years.

cody leaves some legacy behind him one which Will surely never be surpassed. Unlucky not to go out on a winning note last Sunday but his side went down fighting as most of his teams have done during his tenure. Unfortunately Broke our hearts on many occasions aswell. Be interested to see what he would regard as his most satisfying victory (plenty to choose from)

As for ourselves really is hard to know where we go to for our next manager. An important appointment but not to many candidates jumping out. Also whoever gets the manager gig their choice of coach will be crucial (kinnerick so important to limerick, bevans so important with Cahill)

very interesting to see how quickly Liam Cahill has got his back room team in order considering he only got the job last Monday!! One would be forgiven for thinking he may have known well before last Monday night that he was to be the next Tipp manager

Can't understand why he would fund Waterford from that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

What is it with Gaelic games organisations and disciplinary rulings being overruled on technicalities? Aisling Thompson was only cleared to play for Cork around mid-day today after it was found that the referee had reported her misdemeanours under the wrong rule. This is similar to the recent overturning of suspensions of Gaelic footballers after the disciplinary committee was found to have used incorrect procedures. In the latter case, why were the committee not simply asked to go back over the case using the correct procedures? In Thompson's case, why was the referee's report not checked when it was submitted, and the referee asked to resubmit his report using the correct rule? You never hear of this kind of carry-on in other sporting organisations. If Thompson was guilty of a red card offence, the emphasis should have been on ensuring that the deserved suspension was applied, not on finding a loophole allowing her to get off. If that had happened, it is very likely that Waterford would have won the game, given Thompson's impact when she was introduced. You would wonder if Frank Murphy had any involvement in this.

In Brian Cody's first year as Kilkenny manager, they were unexpectedly beaten in the final by Jimmy Barry-Murphy's young Cork colts. There were calls at the time for Cody to be sacked. If these calls had been heeded, how many All-Irelands might Waterford have won? According to a friend of mine, Cody was the best manager of all time, in any sport. It is hard to disagree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

lived in cappagh outside Dungarvan for many years. I’m guessing that’s the connection the previous poster is alluding to in his tongue in cheek post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cahill must have taught we were born yesterday if we'd believe he didn't speak to Tipp CB until after Bonnar's departure was announced.

is he any relation to Jimmy McGuinness…..?🤪🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

I doubt that Cahill has lost any sleep over whether people believe his statement or not. Tipp have the management team they wanted in place & that’s all that will matter to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭914

Who cares, the man gave 3 years to us. He was offered the Tipp job last year and opted to stay with us, he then got a call to manage his home county again this year and excepted it.

Can you blame him for wanting to manage his own county. Best of luck to Liam.

Hopefully now we get a really good appointment and can drive on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

The source who advised me of Cahill and Cody's departure/retirement (before they became official) says that Eddie Brennan is in the running for Waterford job.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

• Advertisement

There could be a knock on effect of Cody going on the search for the latest Waterford manager. Kilkenny candidates who may have been interested in the Waterford job might hold off now and see what their chances are of getting the Kilkenny job

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Makes the delay in Cahills decisions a little more frustrating. If he went in May or June the committee would of had more time

Don't think the Waterford players would buy into Eddie Brennan esp knowing he can be a little controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

Part of me thinks it’s too early for Molumphy but, **** it, what have we got to lose? I say give it to him and, above all else, give him the time it’ll obviously take to put his proper stamp on things.

I want to win the big one and I want to win it with a Waterford man in charge. We’ve tried everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

In an ideal world i'd love to see a Homegrown mamager, trainer, selectors and performance coach from within the County getting the job if possible.. Surely we have as good as any hurling people here in Waterford..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I think Molumphy could be good also. He ticks the box in terms of intercounty experience in a big way, and was a great leader for us in his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Isn't Molumphy based in West Cork nowadays

Kerry had some good results under him but also some off days

Be a better choice then Peter Queally I think. As a collective you all know who I think should be considered but intercounty is a different ball game than club

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Cork 0-15 Waterford 0-10

While it will be of little consolation to the players themselves, the Waterford camogie team gave an excellent account of themselves in yesterday’s All-Ireland semi-final, firmly establishing themselves as a top-level team in the process. In the end, the key differences between the teams were in experience and, even more so, strength and conditioning, with Waterford visibly tiring in the closing ten minutes when their fumble count shot up.

Even then, it was only in the 54th minute that Cork equalised and at the 63rd minute there was still only a single score between the teams, with Cork’s two late points giving a very unfair look to the final score. In those closing ten minutes, Beth Carton had two shots that went narrowly wide, and if those had gone over, anything could have happened.

Waterford were also the victims of a basic refereeing error in the 43rd minute when they were three points up. Cork’s Aisling Thompson clearly pulled Lorraine Bray’s shoulder when in possession straight in front of the Cork goal but went unpenalised. From the ensuing turnover Cork scored a point so that what would likely have been a four-point lead was reduced to two. Of course, Thompson should never have been allowed to take the field in the first place, as the last-minute decision to lift her suspension was farcical and had nothing to do with the administration of justice.

Despite hitting some no-look blind balls into the Cork defence in the first half, it is clear that Waterford, under Derek Lyons’s management, are now better-coached than they were in recent years. They also have some good leaders on the pitch, especially Clodagh Carroll in defence, Lorraine Bray in the midfield area, and, of course, Beth Carton up front. Their defence did some great work, especially in the first half, and their close passing to get players in possession in open country is something the senior hurlers could learn from. They clearly have created a platform from which to build, and with extra experience and added strength and conditioning, they have the potential to challenge seriously for senior honours in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I've absolutety no issue with him taking the Tipp job, its completely understandable would be the ultimate for most GAA people to manage their own county but the suggestion that he wasn't in contact with Tipp CB until 10 days ago is insulting people's intelligence, probably shouldn't have done the interview with RTE with the benefit of hindsight, 1 criticism of him during the Waterford reign for me is ill advised stuff he said to the media on 1 or 2 occasions, taught after defeats he threw it on the players rather than take collective responsibility of players and management.

Would Derek lyons be interested in the mens job…?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Have it from good source that Derek is the preferred candidate and its basically his to turn down at this point. Yes there will be an interview process, but the national profile he has built up is serving him in good stead, his attention to detail and a lack of viable candidates outside the county makes him the comfortably the frontrunner.

Advertisement