Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

I don't mind Michael Martin personally, I think at the back of it all he's a decent human being etc. But he's tarnished the FF brand probably for good.

It's almost a cliche at this stage to say it, but he was so desperate to not be the only FF leader who wasn't Taoiseach that he sold the farm completely when he got into bed with the FG party, throwing away their "republicanism" in the process.

The Black and Tan commemoration reminded everyone in Ireland who/what FG truly are, and FF will now be guilty by association.

That's one of many stains that they'll struggle to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Greens may be sacrificed on the alter of political climate change. FF/FG don't care if Green TDs are reelected. They may not want to make enemies of rural voters for the sake of some business class flying pontificators.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You are the one with the problem. You are the one using bad policy housing as a 'get out' for near a decade of government crony deals. I'd only be contacting opposition to thank them for blocking not fit for purpose bad deals.

They are slowing the government making it worse.

FF should never have made that Confidence and Supply deal with FG. Martin seems to have a small group of FFer around him who are probably very comfortable working with FG. The problem for Martin is that the FF backbenchers realise that they are in FF rather than FG. A real FF leader would have used Charlie Flanagan's Black and Tans/RIC commemoration issue to grind FG into the dirt at the last GE. The problem for FF was and is that it is being led by a wannabe FGer. Martin basically created the conditions for SF beat FG into third place and come within a seat of FF in the GE. If it wasn't for Covid, Martin and Varadkar would have been dumped by their parties.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think it's a case of FG and FF knowing they need each other to cling to power tbh. They'll put up with anything to do that.

• Advertisement

Never underestimate a politician's greed for a ministerial salary and pension? FF would probably have gone into government with SF is SF had not won so many seats. The popular vote and SF's gain in seats scared both FF and FG. They didn't even have Labour to make up the numbers this time and were forced to do a deal with the Greens. The problem for FF and FG is that some of the Greens are fanatics and are willing to destroy Ireland's agriculture industry. The electorate is beginning to think of FF and FG as a single party. That's one of the most damaging things for FF/FG as it will have FF and FG competing for the same vote at the next GE.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Im sure you will. It seems some people are more than happy to laugh at people homeless and caught in the housing crisis.

It's a pity that people feel the need to stamp on a person head instead of holding out a hand when they are down.

I will always hold out a hand!!! but that's just me!!

I agree on the electorate seeing them as the same and that is the predicament the backbenchers can see clearly.

It will be fascinating to hear them come an election trying to make themselves distinct.

Will we hear 'I will never coalesce with FG' or 'Putting FF in power would be like putting John Delaney back in the FAI'?

Delicious prospect and there'll be plenty of journos and broadcasters wanting to embarrass them into answering. Not to mention fodder for other parties.

The younger FFers may well seek to differentiate themselves from FG. The problem is that they may have more in common with SF than with older FFers. There has been a momentum building for SF in the younger demographics and it is outperforming FF and FG. They are the ones who will have to deal with a Reunified Ireland after the Border Poll and a vastly more complex political landscape. Some of the older FFers also realise this. Barry Cowen's comment about getting FF to take ownership of the Border Poll issue was a very smart one. The problem is that Martin is a neo-Unionist/Partitionist and his action in removing O'Cuiv as deputy leader showed that. It would have been interesting to see O'Cuiv leading FF.

The big problem for FF and FG as a single party is that the second and third preference votes will split over FF and FG candidates. That will cause a fratricide effect where FF and FG candidates will knock each other out when may be enough votes for a single FF or FG seat. This happened on a smaller scale in 2020 where FG ran too many canidates and the candidate with slightly more votes than either was elected without reaching the quota because the two FG candidates were eliminated in the same count.

The problem with the media is that there is always an agenda and many of the political correspondents seem to get institutionalised from covering politics for so long. The whole Special Advisor thing also takes some of the better journalists out of the media. There will be quite a few of them unemployed after the next GE. Some journalists may want to make their reputations with a killer soundbite or quote and they are the ones that will worry some of the politicians. The Labour supporters in the media will be churning out puff pieces and trying to reinvent Labour as a party of the Working Classes but there has been a bit of a shift to the SocDems as being the new Left of centre option. Many of the old pro-FF and pro-FG journalists are still in place and SF is not going to get an easy time. You can see it and hear it on RTE where SF representatives are interrupted every few seconds by the presenters and FF/FG/Lab representatives are rarely interrupted.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The electorate is beginning to think of FF and FG as a single party. That's one of the most damaging things for FF/FG as it will have FF and FG competing for the same vote at the next GE.

I agree on the electorate seeing them as the same and that is the predicament the backbenchers can see clearly.

It will be fascinating to hear them come an election trying to make themselves distinct.

I've made this point before but if FF go into the election expressing a willingness to do business with SF, and it looks almost certain that they will, then the 'problem' goes away for FG. All they have to say to distinguish themselves from FF is "FF would be prepared to put SF into government and we wouldn't." Their gamble is that alone would win over enough of 'Middle Ireland' to take them to a strong second place. Even if it doesn't, positioning themselves as the anti-SF party will work for them in the long run because there will inevitably be a backlash against SF-led government at some point, and FG will be by far the best placed of the current parties to surf that wave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well said.

Is it time to ask will the last person out of rural Ireland please switch off the lights? - Independent.ie

“AIB: we back brave.” Well, there was nothing brave about the cowardly decision to effectively close off 70 bank branches around the country, not bother to explain it and then run away once the heat came on.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The problem with FG's approach is that the electorate is changing. That whole Middle Ireland thing was, I think, a Sindo creation of Eoghan Harris that was not really based on any evidence. The opinion polls try to break down the demographics along economic grounds and that's where the whole Middle Ireland thing runs into problems. With the age demographics as a layer over that, the support for anyone but FF/FG/Lab is gaining. SF is the recipient of most of that support. The age demographics is the important one because it is linked to older voters having children who cannot buy or rent. In normal times, those voters would have been solid FF/FG voters but that's beginning to change. If it accelerates before the next GE than all bets are off for the survival of FF and FG with anything close to their current seat counts. The pensions thing is going to add to that problem. And then there's the Border Poll issue.

There's a second order possibility (not a short term problem) that will be caused by the fragmentation of the conservative FF and FG vote. It could result in a new Right of centre party. It wouldn't be PDs 2.0 as the PDs were only ever Provisional Fianna Fail. There's a relatively untapped conservative vote that's been lost in the noise of the political incompetence and virtue sigalling of FF/FG.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm beginning to think this government won't last till September, let alone December 😁

Night all

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

FG and FF have lost their identities I think, they don't know what they stand for anymore...right, left centre etc, they are just trying to survive and have no ideological/core principles base. That makes it very easy for support to wander. And it has.

I don't think SF have a clear offering either but what is happening is, people are saying 'well let's give them a go, they can't be any worse'.

The more FF FG try to say they will be worse the more support they seem to lose. A decent leader could formulate a way out, but neither of them seem to know how. The 18 page dossier seems to have died on it's feet.

What do they do now, get dirtier or lose the siege mentality and offer something people can get behind?

FF was able to get away with having a very nebulous identity in that it became all things to all people. That's because it was a party that had a very wide support. It lost that from Ahern onwards. FG never had that kind of broad appeal to voters. (Don't think that FG was ever given a majority because the electorate just didn't trust them.) SF is becoming like the old FF. FG should consider making Jennifer O'Carroll McNeill leader (she's a lot more academically qualified than some of the others) rather than Helen McEntee. Paschal Donohoe and Simon Coveney might also want to be leader (less sure). Coveney might not want to be leader though given how the FG parliamentary party installed Varadkar instead of him. Had he, rather than the FG politburo candidate Varadkar, been FG leader, I don't think that FG would be quite so low polls and the 2020 GE might have gone a lot better.

The big killer for FG is the sense of entitlement combined with a Dunning-Kruger effect. The first irritates voters. The second, when FG screws up even simple things in government, makes voters angry enough to not vote FG again. FG is more than capable of destroying itself without any help from FF. Unless it gets rid of Varadkar, it probably will.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

@brokenangel you claim to have never voted FG, so are you not complaining about their AIB skullduggery? FG are making sure FF take all the heat while Pascal the Rascal and Leo the Leak lie low.

It is also worth noting that the AIB fiasco has more or less finished off Pascal the Rascal's chances of becoming FG leader.

Post edited by skimpydoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I completely agree and that's why the FF/FG parties need to go, at least for a few terms.

They are making all their crises worse and have no regard for the damage they do and must be stopped.

Very Republican...GOP attitude. Denying climate issues to suit themselves.

FF and FG have tied a hand behind their own backs. They always got in by **** on the other. Now they no longer have that. The floating votes aren't likely to be back anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is that last September you were predicting their demise for?

• Advertisement

Your still up Blanch , how do you do it , remarkable. Actually this September, but now that remind me it looked pretty precarious last September too, Leaks, Makey uppy jobs , a certain matter I won't re hash , must be a seasonal thing I guess but MM was determined to continue being undermined in pursuit of completing his Term as Taoiseach no matter how underhanded FG was . I admire his stamina albeit he's destroying FF with every day he spends as Taoiseach.

I was quite surprised at the little indignation about those pesky FG backbenchers stirring it in the background, seems the Opposition only face the wrath of deflection when they question Government policy, Funny old world it is .

Night night

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Watching a stream of the Arsenal Chelsea game so yes, still up, unusual for me, don't be on here much during free time, but not much to do during half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

In July 2021, it was announced that Zappone was to be appointed to the newly created position of "Special Envoy to the UN for Freedom of Opinion and Expression".

This been filled yet it was a very important position IIRC. Anyone see the job advertised ? We should do what the UK do an make people hand over a 2nd passport. If you want to represent Ireland then do it as Irish.

Renunciation of U.S. citizenship is final and irrevocable. You lose citizenship for the rest of your lifetime. There are no temporary renunciations or options to re-acquire U.S. citizenship. Once you renounce, you can never resume your citizenship.

Already answered above

If anything if you predict Pascal won’t be leader then he probably will be.

The seemingly lack of knowledge of the population is alarming by some, proved by the thread which backfired on you and now the AIB cashless which people are not talking about the government.

As I said you would be naive to think that AIB are not going to introduce a cut down version and opinion seems to be get rid of cash. I totally support that and will stop tax dodging which became visible during covid

if this was a decent political thread that would be the discussion, not calling TD names like “Leo the leak” 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ That should be left with the fake accounts on Twitter

So you want to block housing and you blame FF, FG and Greens?

More point the finger politics. Time you took responsibility for your actions.

If they predicted the government is going to last the term I would be worried. As I said after the motion the government are in a stronger position than they have ever been.

The actual discussion on AIB has very little to do with government and more a discussion of ireland should move away from cash, certainly nothing to suggest an election. Most people seem to agree we should remove cash. The amount of tax dodging would be resolved as well

Post edited by brokenangel on

government are in a stronger position than they have ever been.

That's a funny start to my Sunday, as the givernment pick up the pieces of another round of bungling and chaos.

Paschal now confirming he was "Informed" a few hours before AIB's announcement, I'm sensing Swiss cheese excuses , lots of holes so to speak.

We know now AIB's plans were actually known for days by DOF official's.

Even giving some leeway to Paschal, it's simply beggar's belief he had absolutely no knowledge of the proposal until hours before it was announced.

That's bad enough as it is, he then remained silent for days before and after , the "Blindsiding" story was allowed to grow legs , the people, Sean Fleming and Taoiseach were actually the ones actually Blindsided because up to and after silly shape throwing by two FF politicians ,Paschal knew his department was informed .

Days later the pass the book games commenced , extraordinary excuses and this morning it's being revealed Paschal only informed hours before announcement.

What a complete crock of Poo.

More scapegoating of civil servants anticipated.

Opposition Finance spokesperson is on the News At One, should be worth a listen to see how far this will run.

• Advertisement

O, I'll have to listen in , I believe they are doing a feature on Swiss cheese also 😁

Advertisement