Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

I agree but still think its a good idea to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've some great Cinnamon Bun recepies I might share tomorrow 😅😅

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Night all 😉

O Dear another long time lurker who's joined Boards today especially to enlighten us all.

In fairness this thread has to have some kind of record for attracting new accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭creeper1

It boils my blood whenever anyone suggests acquiring private houses to put up foreign refugees.

When you put in blood, sweat and tears to buy your property nobody has the right to impose guests on you.

I'd be in favour of the right to arms like they have in America if there are any more suggestions like this made. I'd arm myself to the teeth and let me tell you nobody would be coming across my doorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

“However, you'll notice a change in mood as people who've actually been on the Thread for months grew frustrated, Embarrassed, Bemused Disgusted and angry at the debacle this has turned into, albeit it was predicted months ago.”

Isnt that the problem with internet threads? People progressively winding themselves up, highlighting the negatives, and entrenching, typically to the point they go on transmit and the recieve component of communication ceases 😃

not for one second suggesting things are rosey or right, however a few of you are well adrift of reality for the majority fleeing Ukraine.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I've had to stop reading this thread for a bit. Getting very angry now with how workers/taxpayers are teated in this country.

Christ I'm a live and let live type of person generally but it's gone too far now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I agree, but they have zero chance of getting into power. Its a very safe protest vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"government would audit every household in the country and a number of refugees they can house should be ascertained, if even one refugee was given a roof in every household in Ireland then we could save 2 million people, many households would be willing to take more. Any undesirables who refuse could be hit with an increase in property tax which then could be put back into helping refugees."

Send your CV to the Stasi...

Absolutely, that will be the final straw for people. This lunacy needs to stop though. For many the Ukranians issue has not affected them negatively.

Being a refugee should not let you skip housing lists, it should not entitle you to a free house. It's an absolute mess, but only an accelerated version of what's been happening for years.

• Advertisement

The thing is that's not really true. There have been stories in our media willingly shared from those who came from the United States, many have come through other safe European countries. Some have returned home since coming to Ireland and back again. Some have gone countries other than Ukraine they could return to.

And I do think we should help, I just don't know why an extra 200 euro a week on top of food and board is blanket required, yet not for other nationalities (or people claiming to arrive from other locations)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Internet generally yes indeed but a discussion forum I'm not so sure. I don't believe people are winding themselves up although some try to wind up people of course.

Whilst many have been on this thread for months and yes there's a diverse range of opinions , what actually winds me up more is "Lurkers" setting up an account to stir things up with clear agendas, little or no understanding of what is actually going on and then to arbitrarily Judge a thread and those posting on it with snide comments and bewildering accusations of xenophobia.

Speaking for myself, I've actually been the complete opposite, raising repeatidly the Plight of others and it's actually this Government, NGO'S and Virtue signallers who are blatantly discrimatory, focusing their Ghastly virtue signalling nonsense towards one cohort "Who look like us"

I've at least tried to remain objective I hope, as have many, many, many others , the problem as I see it is this. The Shenanigans, Incompetence, chaos is actually getting worse by the day , I don't believe censorship of views is the Answer and I'll certainly continue expressing my views and call out Hypocrisy and the quite extraordinary carry on when I see it as I hope others will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Martin calling out UK Rwanda policy. No response from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The left wing press here (which is ALL the mainstream media) are laughable- the Rwanda policy is understandably massively popular in England and that’s why the government are pushing ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well “wanting to make a nice life” for themselves here isn’t any reason for open borders and free for all welfare- of course you’re a teacher- you haven’t the first clue about very much just how you feel.

You are being serious, that's WHAT'S actually bewildering, this is not about a few Pittances as you describe, it's about much much more , not least the Chaos, incompetence, stupidity and loss of all sense of reality by our government and NGO'S.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You do have to admire some people and their good intentions.

They would step over an Irish person sleeping on the street with a carton of milk for Ukrainians living in a hotel, getting 3 free meals a day and a few hundred pocket money a week.

Then they go around thinking how great they are to be helping poor people.

Their will be far more irish people especially elderly in need of help this winter than Ukrainians.

Hopefully when these people get bored of the newest trend they will extend their generosity to irish citizens.

• Advertisement

To be fair to Martin he probably isn't used to a government policy that appears to be working....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"Nataliia Kukharchuk is from the Vinnytsya region on the border between Ukraine and Moldova." and "Nataliia recently managed to visit her home town but said she couldn’t sleep on one night because of sirens going off. Her elderly parents are still living in the area."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Very Touching , I had to stop eating my weetabix, I was so overcome with emotions, kinda got a Queasy feeling in my tummy and may forgo the 3rd weetabix biscuit.

Husband still working , Parents still living in Ukraine and clearly getting lots of sleep. "Managed" to get home , how simply wonderful and if that weren't enough , Schooling for children and weekly coffee mornings , it's sounds simply idyllic.

But to be fair to "Nataliia" she's not being housed by the state and thankfully she's a host family , for Now.

You've got to wonder , do these Fluff Journalists not think for a moment how article's like this are perceived by those not consumed or obsessed by Virtue Signalling 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

You see this is the problem. What is the point in coming on to Boards day in day out saying "this is disgraceful" "this has to stop" if you actually do NOTHING! There IS a point! We vote in our Government, they are meant to act on our behalf and are paid by us to do so. There are not acting on our behalf now. Where is their mandate to flood our country with immigrants from everywhere and anywhere? Where is their mandate to keep accepting Ukrainian refugees into a country that is bursting at the seams and they end up in tents? Many of these Ukrainians are travelling back for a holiday to visit family, or even going to other European countries to have a holiday (see FB Help Ukrainian pages).

Email or write to every single one of your local TDs and Government representatives! Hundreds of people ARE already doing this. Everyone should be doing it. There is another thread on "multiculturalism in Ireland" and someone posted their email to their local TD's yesterday and I will have copied and pasted it below. They are happy for anyone else to use this template and simply look up your local representatives and email it to them!.

Above all DON'T DO NOTHING. We are a crowd of sheep in this country. We accepted the longest and harshest lockdown in Europe (I didn't!! I was out hiking the mountains and swimming on deserted beaches while people stayed locked up in their homes in utter depression because WE WERE TOLD TO) . There is no fight in the Irish anymore, we just whine and complain and act like doormats. Where is our spirit? If you do one thing in the next 2 days just send the following email or an edited version of it to every single Government representative you know! (including MM, Varadkar, Daragh O Brien, Helen McEntee ).

""Dear TDs, 

What would you describe your job as? What is your remit as a TD? 

From what I can find online, the role of a TD is to be the elected representative of the Irish citizens in the area they are elected. 

There is no mention of being a representative of the UN, the EU, multiple NGOs, Pharma companies, Vulture Funds, Ukraine, Nigeria, Georgia or any other country in the world. 

So why do your parties have Ireland and the Irish people so far down your list of priorities? It has gone beyond incompetence now, and looks more and more like a planned collapse of Ireland. We have porous, open borders. We have rewards for people entering the country illegally. We have sex offenders remaining in the country in contempt of a court order and our gormless Minister for Justice calls it “a complex matter”. We have people flooding into Ireland from “war zones” in Ukraine and heading back on holiday once they have secured social welfare here. We have “asylum seekers” who once granted status head back to the country they are seeking “asylum“ from on holidays. 

We have had a housing issue in Ireland over the last decade and more, we were told there was nothing that could be done about it. Suddenly, we can find housing for thousands of non-Irish people on top of full social welfare, medical cards, free travel etc. If I lose my job tomorrow I’ll have to jump through 100 hoops to get a social welfare payment, multiple forms, bank statements etc. I won’t be housed, fed, watered and given my €208 a week on top of that. I’ll be given €208 to buy food, electricity, heating, rent etc. Thats the thanks an Irish citizen gets after paying taxes for the last 24 years. 

Is there absolutely no one in government with their ear to the ground? Why are you trying to bankrupt the country? Why is there no proper deportation process in a country over run with fake asylum seekers? Why is the government so fearful of NGOs?? 

I don’t want a mealy-mouthed reply back about this, that and the other and doing our best. If this is your best, then admit you aren’t qualified to be in your position and walk away, do the honourable thing for your country. 

I want to know what you, as my representatives in Dáil Éireann are doing to represent me, my family, my friends and the rest of the Irish citizens in Ireland. What are you doing to secure the future of Ireland? Bankrupting us won’t help us. I have absolutely zero faith in any of your parties to represent me. FF and FG may as well merge nowadays and the Greens aren’t even worth mentioning. None of your parties will ever get a vote from me or my family in the future. 

My main hope for the future of Ireland is that the U.K. threaten to close the CTA and it forces Ireland to tighten its borders, and that the upcoming recession forces the IMF to re-enter Ireland and make us fiscally competent again. There is a lot of pain coming worldwide when this upcoming crash kicks in. Hopefully the backlash gives us some decent new parties who are willing to work for the people that pay them and that they can remember who they work for""

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

Isn't our current government big on "equality"? They are on and on about it nearly every speech on every topic. Well, then why not to put equality principles in use in regards to refugees? Why are they classified in some preferential order?

Is it that one war is better than the other?

If the Ukrainian matters were perceived as a short term measure, well, then, all the same rules should apply only with a time limit. same as all the others, Nigerian, Syrian, etc, etc.

Otherwise, on the face value, it is a Government-approved (not just approved but initiated) discrimination within the refugee sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Interesting to see these warnings starting to pop up in their circles. Why would refugees fleeing a 'brutal war' need to be signing in every Sunday to show that they are not taking the piss and flying home to that very same warzone?

Maybe they're out filling their bags with new clothes and other shopping sprees with their extra generous pocket money, and forgot to return to the hotel. Lovely to be in such a position when most Irish people are worried about how they will heat their homes in a few months.

40k and rising rapidly. Most wanting to come here from Hungary,Poland and others coming from sunny Spain . What is the common denominator here, the overly generous welfare payments and promises of own door social housing made by these limp wrist politicians. Even the Brits don't acknowledge meehole because he's a nobody but imagine the coverage RTE would give if Boris Johnson blamed Ireland for something similar 💥🤣.

To be fair, our governments solution will likely be to give everyone 200 plus a week.

• Advertisement

One wonders why just sign on a Sunday at any time 🤔, why not a few days a week , who's watching signings, who's actually following it up . But yes, very, very telling this is now required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement