Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

The only Ukrainian 'refugee' I have spoken to was in our local leisure centre and she informed me that she was in Germany working when the war started.

Her mother joined her in Germany and then they 'fled' to Ireland.

When I enquired as to why they didn't stay in Germany she said the Irish people are nicer and walked off.

I took that to mean our benefits are better.

Also in the last week it is a lot more noticeable that young men of fighting age have started to arrive.

FB is gas...I saw a post this morning from a young Ukrainian lady looking for a cheap (free) car cos "her legs hurt".

They want our hotels, houses and now our cars as well.

I have no intention of turning my house which I worked hard to buy into a hostel and from what I hear anecdotally nobody else should either.

These people are here for the long haul and loads more on the way to Treasure Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How has it been "noticeable that young men of fighting age have started to arrive" in the past week?

There is a fine between legitimate concerns and just making stuff up.

Unless you have evidence to share from the past week of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As for SF, who have been brought up a lot in this thread.

They would be the single worst party for regulating this stuff going on their stated policy position.

If you're looking for change and more migration border control you wouldn't be voting for SF.

In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a political party so out of touch with their own base.

I mean, we all know ra heads and most of those are not the no expense spared, welcoming types to foreign nationals.

It's very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If you can afford a holiday home , I think you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I have evidence as I've seen it with my own two eyes.

The leisure centre I use is adjacent to student accommodation and a hotel which is currently used to house Ukrainian 'refugees'.

It was all women and children using the facilities (which they paid for in cash) until last week when Ukrainian men arrived into the pool area and started snapping people with their camera phones. The pool attendants who are mainly young students doing summer work were unable to deal with the situation and had to call management as use of phones is strictly forbidden in the pool area with signs up to this effect.

The Ukrainians refused to hand over the phones and the manager threatened to call the guards until eventually a Ukrainian lady with English intervened and diffused the situation saying they don't speak English and it was all a misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

@Dempo1

Will you post that cinnamon bun recipe? I wanna give them a go 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

At this stage I think FF FG are intentionally destroying the country because they know SF will be in power after the next election. If SF have to abandon all their policies and enforce strict austerity during their first stint in power that could damage them long term. More likely though SF would spend us into bankruptcy.

I will agree with you on SF......... If we think this is bad, it will be a whole lot worse with SF in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Who is the journalist?

Il send an email and ask him or her.

It's the stuff of parody now. Hiding out in kildare drinking coffee while the elderly parents still living in Ukraine and the husband is still working away there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I mean long term what impact is this going to have on the future of the country.

Schools were overcrowded as it is with too many pupils to one teacher.

Now teachers are going to have more kids and then add in the fact a lot of these kids won't speak English.

That is going to have a huge impact on our children's education.

Then Covid will be rolled out in a few weeks for remote learning in college so they can keep Ukrainians in student accommodation.

Yet people cheer on bringing as many people as they can into the country.

You would have to imagine these people have no kids or grandkids who are going to struggle and be negatively impacted by this.

Teachers have a tough job as it is I would say they are not looking forward to having to teach students who in a lot of cases don't speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ms2022

Figures for refugees arriving per week broken down by age and gender is given by Central Statistics Office . See here as an example. https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/fp/p-aui/arrivalsfromukraineinirelandseries3/

For week of March 13, 59 25 to 29 year olds arrived. In week of June 19th 776 arrived. With the 30 to 34 year age group the figures were 47 in March week and 908 in June week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Never mind the long time lurkers, it's time the long time workers had some input into how their taxes are squandered, then to be labelled xenophobic, far right or rasist by the wokists for daring to care about what sort of a country we will leave to those coming after us, they can't see the wood for the trees those guys so blinded are they by their constant virtue signalling, a very dangerous bunch who would lead the country God knows where

The above data is from series 3 of "arrivals from Ukraine in Ireland" Central Statistics Office which you can search through at this link. https://www.cso.ie/en/search/?addsearch=ukraine%20series%204

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can indeed but a little busy with these at the moment 😁 will try later . Preparing a few Goodies for a party

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Details on the article, I might some pose some questions of him on Twitter, later 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Party at Dempo’s!!

Edit: I’ll bring the daiquiris

I'm available for virtue signalling "Coffee Mornings " but I'm not free , can off discounts though 😁 they look tasty

Angry Incels now 😳

Hold water in a debate you've belatedly joined , Please , too much on an otherwise delightful morning .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Agree Cinnamon, the government should take over Aer Lingus and use it to bring whoever on the world who is struggling to make it here so we can support them. It's the only humane thing to do.

First stop should be Russia to bring anyone with an anti Putin sentiment over. That would be sure to drive a regime change.

I'd be a little concerned at that proposal, they've not got a great Track record when it comes to Baggage and keep cancelling flights , could get even more messy 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

I think the domestic sale of Russian flags would flourish if that scenario was ever threatened

Perhaps I wouldn't go as far as saying " deliberately destroying the country" but the gist of your post isn't all that outlandish as a 'long term' strategy on behalf of ff/fg.

Could we stop sniping at each other and try and move forward here. The figures from the Cso which I posted earlier show that the refugee population from Ukraine is changing as well as increasing. The solutions we have used so far such as hotels will no longer work, if they ever did. In addition there are over 6 million internally displaced people in Ukraine. https://www.internal-displacement.org/countries/ukraine With the best will in the world we cannot house 6 million, and many of those do not want to leave but are getting little or no support. Surely one way forward is to devote some of the resources we have set aside to support internally displaced people in Ukraine. And why is there such little support for people in Ukraine if so much money is being pumped into it? Is it all going on weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You also have to admire some people and their good intentions that would step over the Irish person sleeping on the street and also begrudge refuge to little kids fleeing a war. Thinking they are great to be going on about how their own dole might be raised a little less quickly.

Hopefully, if they ever manage to stop scrounging off the State, they might be able to contribute something and even eventually be able to help others.

Handy to have those homeless Irish people there to wheel out whenever they are useful though? Did you start, or contribute to, many threads before the Ukrainian war which were calling for better supports for Irish homeless? Did you, perhaps, start a thread calling for increased services to provide better treatment facilities to junkies? Were you a vociferous supporter of the stories like Ms. Cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why are you conflating "refugee" with "asylum seeker"? Is it a deliberate thing, or do you not understand the difference?

Thread is about Ukrainian refugees. Not asylum seekers from other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Oh i know the difference

We give Ukrainian refugees priority, free dole, gp card etc.

We give non white European asylum seekers **** all compacted to the Ukranians.

Irelands Govt are a bunch if racists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement