Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,442 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nope. Asylum seekers only have permission to remain here in order to process their claim.

Ukrainian refugees have permission to stay here before they arrive. EU level decision. They also have permission to work.

To give "asylum seekers" immediate access to full SW and/or right to work would mean that anyone from anywhere in the world could arrive here, apply for asylum, and be granted that while their application is being processed. No matter how spurious or ridiculous an application is, it has to be processed and that will take time. If you want random "asylum seekers" to get that, then go and start another thread on it. I won't be supporting you on it. Note that the same policy on asylum seekers in is place whether you are black Nigerian, white South African, or even a white US citizen. You can stick your claim of racism where the sun don't shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

I know a real chef when I see a precisely cut cartouche :)

I disagree. We help enough. Look at the military industrial companies and the governments that spend Trillions each year firing them in various wars, 1 missile could feed a family for life in some countries, yet millions are fired each year.

You have zelinski begging for weapons when he should be trying to make peace, rebuild the parts that Ukrianie that they controlled and feed his people. Instead they have to go begging to the EU.

You have zelinski begging for weapons when he should be trying to make peace, rebuild the parts that Ukrianie that they controlled and feed his people. Instead they have to go begging to the EU.

Do you not remember they were invaded? It was only back a few months ago? Up until the tanks rolled across the border, there was a consensus that it wasn't going to happen. They did nothing to provoke or precipitate it. All they can do is try to defend themselves. Which is what they are doing.

What advice would you give a kid who is getting bullied? Maybe to bring more lunch money with them to hand over when asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O Dear Donald , that's a little nasty , Tut Tut .

Out of Curiosity what are your Thoughts on the now 4K fully processed in DP who are now legally entitledto stay in Ireland and still stuck in DP because they've nowhere to go , any thoughts on the lack of Priority being Given , not just to "Others" but dare I say our own citizens 🤔

Perhaps your over focus on Virtue signalling is clouding your Judgement somewhat . You are of course correct this Thread is about Ukranian Refugees in Ireland and no amount of spin and deflection will change the fact its an appalling mess, riddled with inconsistencies, Two tier approach and attitudes, Blatant hypocrisy and discrimination, Shenanigans and some extraordinary carry on, how your missing any of this is frankly breathtaking and bewildering.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

A certain Louth business man bought this recently, whats the chances like. Lucky man is Larry 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

That NWL twitter account is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

go into my local university where lots are in accommodation …

scores of men of fighting age from 18-50 in the shops, bars having a drink and singsong just navigating around the campus with their Ukrainian shirts, flags and lanyards…

young fit / healthy adult girls of similar age demographic with no apparent offspring whom if not frontline fighters can be performing logistical support of some sort….

if you can be haranguing and shouting at staff to admit you to the sports facilities/gym you are fit and well enough to contribute somehow to defending your country..

Lol at your own virtue signalling and concern over people in DP. Start a petition if you want the government to pony up more handouts or free houses to them.

I understand that it is SF policy to have open doors and free-for-all but I definitely wouldn't support automatic handouts for "asylum seekers" like the other poster (and perhaps yourself?) is calling for.

Speaking of hypocrisy, you don't appear to realise the contrast in your indignation that those who have been here for years in DP (and now have permission to stay and work here) are not being provided with free accommodation commensurate with their desires, while at the same time being indignant towards some women and kids (literally fleeing from a warzone who probably don't even speak English) getting some emergency accommodation in tents.

Here's an interesting and disturbing stat .

It's around 150 days since this crisis started , only 154 days to Christmas.

An average of 286 Ukrainian refugees have gained access to the state per Day , which comes to 43,000 now. No controls, no verifications , not even passports required.

It's taken 150 days to essentially destroy the European Economy, Driven inflation, caused a now out of control cost of living crisis and an absolute mess in Ireland.

No room at the Inn, Numerous local Economies buckling , enormous sums of money being thrown at a crisis essentially created by this Government. Shocking inequality on display, shenanigans rampant , strokes being pulleed to appease one cohort, its mind boggling .

Just think folks 150 days and no end in sight .

And yet we still have folks blinded by virtue signalling who's only defense of what's going on ,is to make Scurrilous accusations of Racism and xenophobia and use "Sick little children " to justify their warped impression of what is going on .

150 days Folks 🤔

You find it a laughing matter , that pretty much sums up your rather narrow minded view on things .

It's no laughing matter I'm afraid, far from it

• Advertisement

It's a wonder you don't get on the same gravy train. That hotel has 66 rooms. 350 Ukrainians means 5.3 to a room. Let's round it down to 5. That, according to that twitter, would be 5x130 = 675 per night. Or 4275 a week. It's a wonder that a smart fella like yourself hasn't decided to make a spare bedroom available to them for a few weeks for that kind of money.

Are they offering households the same money as hotels per room? When did this change

I find it strange that people don't understand the term "virtue signalling", yet they use it. They must have come across it on some facebook rant and though "that sounds fancy" and then try to throw it in randomly to other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolutely - like sending them home unless they are legitimately from the area(s) actually affected by the fighting. There's still that massive area of land to the west of the conflict zone (where they can even book hotel stays!) if they want to relocate somewhere.

If they are here in search of a better life or economic opportunity - not what we're providing refuge from.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭creeper1

Where do I begin? Where do you get of throwing out insults such as “incel” and “racist”? I never insulted you and the presence or absence of me getting action in the bedroom has nothing to do with this debate.

Imposing special property taxes on people unwilling to house foreign asylum seekers is a breach of the social contract. The Irish government should be there to look out for the rights and interests of the Irish people only and not the entire globe.

Ireland does not owe any migrant anything. This is a very important point since Ireland was never a colonial power and therefore has no reparations to make so I will say it again- Ireland does not owe any migrant anything.

Any help given should be deeply appreciated for the selfless charity that it is.

Surely a smart fella like yourself would figure out how to set up a "B&B" on paper? no?

Donald, you seem to find a lot of things strange, especially facts and hard truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'm delighted I've brightened up your seemingly dull day 😏

• Advertisement

So the answer is they don't.

There is no need for the condescending posts just because someone dosnt agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've found that it's best to just use the ignore list. Threads flow much better if ya don't get sucked in by the baiting.

I find it strange that the same people who don't want the Ukrainians to be given anything are now giving out that "asylum seekers" aren't getting enough. They want to give them more (presumably to attract more in!).

If you ever have any hard facts and truths, you can post them on here. You've made a lot of posts on the thread, but haven't managed to include any relevant ones thus far.

😁😁 da Policy that's barely a month old , hasn't managed to send a single person to Rwanda and the UN saying they have seen no evidence to support the nonsense it has anything to do with the mess here 🤔😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m not- I don’t want any of these leeches here. Rwanda all the way

No - the answer is that even if there was some condition, it would be easily dealt with. Set yourself up as a B&B.

The real point is the gullibility at believing some random twitter account pushing an agenda. The hotel only has 66 bedrooms.

I'd kick any scammers from among the "asylum seekers" out tomorrow. Make more room for the Ukrainians whom we do have to do our bit for.

• The article below would suggest this war is nearing a critical stage, and things may becoming ever more dangerous.

Tom Clonan: Time is running out for Putin in Ukraine and this makes him dangerous

https://jrnl.ie/5823437

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

I expect negotiations to take place as soon as the Russian military are depleted to a degree that collapse is imminent. The US will not allow the Ukrainians to regain all the lost territory as that would likely result in a nuclear strike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement