Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Michael Crowe cited increased costs to businesses as a result which he doesn't want to see imposed on them on top of the already excessive costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Five axle trucks are supposedly banned in central Dublin without getting special permission in advance but enforcement is apparently close to zero. Four axles can still be a huge vehicle for city centre streets in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What weight of goods do you think needs to be carried into a city that has a very strong hospitality sector?

This is a picture from mid-October. Not a bank holiday, or race week, arts-fest, Paddy's, Christmas, etc. How many full kegs could each van or bicycle manage? How much extra time would it take just to receive a delivery that arrived in far smaller lots?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

jayzus... get real. these green folks need to wake up out of their dreamland or there won't be any jobs at all as it would be too expensive to buy a simple pint.

1 truck with driver can deliver to multiple places. But some green folk with a hairbrained idea thinks it makes sense for a truck to stop at a point lets say 4 miles away from the intended delivery locations to break down their load where then 3-5 (or more) people would take their cargo bikes or vans to the destination...... I'm not saying it can't be done but the costs of all that would be enormous for any business to absorb.

• Advertisement

How many serfs would it take to propel that if the kegs were full? How long would it take to travel from say, a depot in Rocam to the city centre? What time would they have to start in order to do however-many trips in and out in a day?

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

Are delivery drivers 'serfs' too or is that just cyclists. Either way, it would take one person to propel it, full or empty. eBikes are great for providing that extra oomph when you need it.

Couldn't tell you the speed, but with the current traffic chaos in Galway, it's probably going to be a similar speed to a truck for much of the journey.

Would it work from an overall supply-chain POV? It depends - maybe for some of the smaller breweries for a start anyway.

There are more than pubs getting deliveries in town. It simply wouldn't work for large shops etc.

In previous employment we had a truck arriving at 0730 Tuesday mornings, it would serve 4 stores with deliveries. Our store would have taken at least 40 totes (black plastic cartons) alone, along with 'sets' folded merchandise. That was just our store, the other 3 would have that much between them. There's no way that would have worked by someone carting it in on a bike.

No one is saying that ALL HGV deliveries can be done by cargo bike. But there are better ways than the current method. I noticed this update in another related discussion from a locked account this evening.

News on P&R's for the city coming at the Sept or Oct council meeting

I really hope they come up with some solid plans and not just half measures that will be doomed to fail.

At a bare minimum IMHO this is what they should be coming up with though the last point might be out of scope

• Should be very close to high traffic route, as in directly accessed from the route they serve, not 3km away aka airport site serving the N6 otherwise potential users will not see the benefit of diverting
    • Should be served by high frequency bus route(s) that run from at least 6am (or earlier) to midnight (or later). Sub-10 min frequency should be the starting point here
    • Should have secure storage for an equivalent amount of bikes (for those who wish to cycle rather than wait for a bus)
    • Should allow for pedestrian access to the surrounding area (for those within walking distance)
    • Should link into existing and planned bus lanes (reliable & consistent journey times)
    • Should show how non-bus lane sections can be upgraded to bus lanes into the future where its not currently proposed (reliable & consistent journey times)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I would add to above that, perhaps most crucially, it has to be coupled with some measure to deter cars from driving past it towards the city centre. That could be many things, a toll or congestion charge, a lengthy diversion with more road space given to sustainable modes, a punitive parking charge or simply ban through movements for cars in the city centre.

P&R often fails because if you are already in your car, there is little natural incentive to get out of it and use a park and ride. It has to be part of more far reaching measures.

I have no problem with the stick approach, but I think this needs to be all carrot, at least at the start, to see how much natural demand there is and how efficient the service is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭cgcsb

P and R doesn't really work that way when there's nothing stopping you completing your journey by car.

Well the avoidance of traffic, faster and more consistent journey time and no issues with parking would be the draw , I'd hope at least.

Not that I disagree with your proposed measures, they absolutely should be done regardless. My point was to make them separate to the P&R otherwise you get nonsense like "well my route doesn't have a P&R so I'm being victimised so you can't add those other measures in until every single possible route has a P&R" or similar such nonsense. You often see the same for Dublin where car owners are demanding PT before they'll give up the car, in Dublin, with over 130 bus routes/Dart/Luas/Commuter rail etc

But back to the P&R, a lot of the success will really depend on how far a bus will have to go to get onto bus lanes. As was seen previously, the one they set up at the airport died within weeks because it made no sense to use it as the bus got stuck in the same traffic so it was faster to not use the P&R.

Honestly I hope they do it right as it could be the catalyst for a lot of other positive changes

The city centre is not necessarily the problem which is to be solved by a p&r in Galway - which is part of what makes things challenging.

If we try to include sticks, they are likely to have a lot of unintended consequences, and to generate negative publicity which could get the whole idea canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yep, you’d have to think that P&R without Bus Lanes for a very high percentage of its route would be a waste of time. We’ve already proved that with the airport one. Repeating the exact same pattern isn’t going to lead to a different outcome.

More details have emerged on the next proposed pedestrian bridge over the Corrib. Its to connect Goal Rd and Newtownsmyth so I'm guessing its going to be somewhere roughly in the region of one of the 2 blue lines below, other new bridge is indicated in green (approx location)

Of course, it wouldn't be a GCC meeting without a gem from a councilor, this time, Collette Connolly (not Catherine - thanks ben)

During a Council meeting, Councillor Colette Connolly (Ind) said she had concerns that another pedestrian bridge could facilitate anti-social behaviour.

Residents in the vicinity of the planned bridge and at Nuns Island had already complained about anti-social behaviour, she said. She queried why it was included.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Residents in Bowling Green know quite a bit about the effects of pedestrian walkways.

Anti-social behavior is not a legitimate reason to deny provision of infrastructure otherwise there wouldn't be a road or path built in the country

Insane that this needs to be pointed out, but there we are

Just to clarify that it's Colette and not Catherine Connolly there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Another new pedestrian bridge?

I'm all for bridges, but what is the rationale here?

The rationale for the bridge under construction now is that the Salmon Weir bridge is very narrow.

Is this proposed bridge linked to the redevelopment of the NUI Galway buildings on Nun's island?

Any talk about using the old railway bridge bases for a new bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 veloci

Yes it seems bizarre, nobody is asking for these additional bridges (beyond the one under construction) and the council seem mad keen to add them. Yet thousands are asking for safe segregated cycle lanes and absolutely nothing coming through.

The old railway bridge one has been on the cards for a long time and will be part of the Connemara Greenway infrastructure.

The others are about safe, accessible infrastructure at multiple points to increase permeability to increase the attractiveness and uptake of walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Permeability between where though? As far as I can see the proposed new bridge locations would only serve people accessing the nuns island car park. There are no other destinations there that would not be better served by O'Briens bridge or the Salmon Weir bridge.

I guess until there are drawings released its kinda hard to say, it's very likely my guesses are wrong for the intended location

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I was thinking the same but I guess you can't have existing natural routes when there's a river in the way. The one from the bottom of the cathedral car park to the car park in Newtownsmith car park would be useful for example. Save a bit of time on a walk.

The whole thing seems weird to me but I'm glad to see them doing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There arent any other positions that make it more viable either - the reality is when walking into town from NUIG or University road you will take the new salmon weir bridge as its quickest, and same in opposite direction.

If going to lower part of nuns island from city you go via obriens bridge. The only scenario where a middle bridge would be useful is if your journey started in the cathedral car park.

They could do so much more with the money they'd spend on another bridge, building for the sake of building something is not a good excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not building for the sake of it. Building with the intent to improve walkability and permeability in the city. Don't forget there's also plans for Nuns Island in the works. Having a bridge that more directly parts of the city is rarely a waste and no doubt the fund they'll use will be ringfenced for these kinds of projects so it's not just sitting there for general usage.

I'm in the camp of "curious but wait and see when more details come out". Hopefully it's a sign of more forward thinking and planning coming from the Council.

Agreed, have to wait and see. To your point, Nuns Island will see a huge amount of development in the years to come as NUIG get things moving there. I think the Bish move has to happen first though

• Advertisement

I'd put the next bridge in a line from the bowling green - through the arch, replace the existing footbridge, then across the river, through the church grounds to the back of the carpark.

It would be a straight line more or less from the college to town.

That arch and small bridge are marked on the maps - I can't tell if it is a public right of way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement