Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pinhead bubbles in new paint job

• 24-07-2022 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I had my apartment painted 2 weeks ago, the painter used crown Mid sheen vinyl emulsion

I noticed last week that one or 2 sections of wall had lots if pinhead type raised spots, i presumed at the time that the painter had used a dirty roller and decided I could live with it as it was unobtrusive

Since then i have noticed that it is happening on nearly every wall that was painted.

There is no dampness in the apartment, so these are not the "bubbles" that you see online, but my walls are damn ugly now, like someone mixed a handful of sand into the paint can!

Research online seems to indicate that this might be some sort of reaction with the original wall paint or possibly the heat of the last 2 weeks

Any thoughts on what my best course of action are here (I am not keen to have the original painter back) is this a question of sanding and repainting or do i have a bigger job ahead of me?

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Minor clarification:

the pinheads only appear to be coming out on the walls that are painted white, the walls that were painted blue (and thus had 3 coats in total AFAIK) do not seem to be affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Extreme heat or moisture on the walls can cause the issue. Where the walls washed down in advance and still possibly a bit damp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

could be a number of things, reaction to underlying paint,greasy walls,walls not washed or sealed before new paint applied,anyhow it has to be sanded,sealed/primed before repainting,seal with either stablelizing primer,or mixture of pva and water,let dry overnight,then what i would do is mix some of the sealer with first coat of new paint,and unless there is ongoing moisture in the walls,you should have no more bubbles/flakes/cracks

I don't think he washed the walls at all. Which was why I originally thought that the first pinheads I observed were dirt painted in

I guess based on above that the issue won't go away by itself!

All sounds a bit complicated for me. So guess I will have to check the credentials of my next painter a bit better than the last guy!

• Advertisement

no it wont go away,sometimes bubbles do dry back,but if there next day then its sand/strip time,to really cure the problem you could line the walls with lineing paper,its like wall papering,but the paper is paintable,and eliminates underlying problems,be like painting new walls,and yes try get someone that knows what they are doing,word of mouth is the best way,thats how i get all my work,best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Definitely not. Don't think he had ever heard of dust sheets, filler, straight lines or masking tape!

Sorry to ask another stupid question, but when you talk about sanding do you mean a "rub with some sandpaper" to take off the bumps, or are we into using machines to tear away the most recent coats back to the previous layer?

that depends on how bad it is,try a bit of sanding first,if that leaves it pitted,then its off with it all,only other option is lineing paper,sanding the walls back to the previous layer is a bit of a job,and then theres no garrentee the next new coats wont again react on top of the old paint,if the sanding removes the bubbles,and leaves the wall smooth,then put the sealer on like i said before new coats,anything else please ask me,

• Advertisement

Just to close out this thread, I bought a fine sandpaper sponge and gave the bubbles a light rub in a place that wouldn't be too noticeable, they came away without pitting or marking and after a wipe down the wall looks a lot better, have repeated this in some of the worst spots and it has come up great, so looks like for now i will get away without repainting!

Thanks to @sniperman and @Xander10 for their comments and support!

Advertisement