Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I personally think Tom Conan not terribly bright , I've been listening to numerous military analysts talk utter shyte for months , all way off the mark to date , those that were correct ignored my Zelenskyy.

Putin the Pig has infact already won in the sense he's lost no ground, actually increased his percentage of control of Ukraine, all he needs to do now is goad Zelenskyy for a few more months , eventually he and the rest of the Clownshop in the EU and US will tire of this , Winter coming, a deal will be struck, Zelenskyy told to put up or shut up , it's disgusting I know but this is how I see this playing out ,

Governments in Europe can not sustain this virtue signalling nonsense much longer, they are running out of money and support of their own citizens, access to oil and gas from Russians will Trump any notions of prolonged support for what is now essentially a skirmish in 20% of Ukraine, Basically we are 150 days into this and nothing achieved but economic chaos despite Billions in military aid being sent to Ukraine.

Grim I know but we've been here before with Putin.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Compare the situation in Ireland vs parts of Europe

"The Czech Republic, to which 348,000 Ukrainians have fled, is contemplating making a move similar to that of Poland. It may cut off Ukrainian refugees who do not find a job after 180 days from social benefits, including medical care

In Bulgaria, thousands of displaced people are now being ejected from hotels along the country’s Black Sea coast in time for the tourist season. Refugees report a chaotic process of removal and say they have been given basically no information as to what awaits them at “buffer centers” set up near the Burgas airport, to which they are being offered transfer"

Why wouldn't they arrive here. Europe's most generous. I hope 500,000 arrive

• I said at the beginning it would be good for the world if Putin were to incidentally die. Not saying he wouldn’t be replaced by a similar nightmare narcissist, but there would be a small chance of sone change in goals. And it wouldn’t change the Mafia structure, of course.

• Folk here are suggesting winter might be the point where negotiations proceed, before severe weather hampers ops. I’d like to believe the worst will be over by then, though economic fallout will continue for a long time, and Ukrainians will need help rebuilding their homes, hospitals, schools and everything. Some refugees will return to do this, but others will stay away to continue enjoying a new lifestyle which includes relatively mild winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

What about the Ukrainians whom have fled here from other safe countries? One bum fled here from NYC.

Such p*ss takers must be forcibly deported too. The time for kid gloves is over.

Don't forget the clown from Miami who hoodwinked sympathy for two days on the Live line programme, bitched about SW payments and turned down a free apartment in Youghal, that story was quickly dropped like a bad habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

And this mindset of running a nation like a business is what has this country destroyed. Good on you Maryanne for sharing your libertarian nightmare with us

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ThoseSpikesAreSore

Can anyone explain to me like, how this can be allowed with this shower? Them sitting on prime land already with permission while the world burns around them. Who is responsible for letting this happen.

I can't link so ye will have to add the dots yerself

Twitter com/OCallaghanCian/status/1551116238365298688

• Registered Users Posts: 19,445 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Where are you going to deport him to? Ukraine?

Do you not understand that a blanket permission was given to all Ukrainians to come to enter into the EU. The advantage of that is that it removes their need (and probably ability) to claim asylum here. If you want to remove that fella's permission to be here, then you will have to send him back to Ukraine which is classified as a warzone. So you can be as sure as anything that he would apply for and receive asylum. The difference would be that you would have wasted a whole lot of money on bureaucracy. and you'd now be stuck with him more permanently. Asylum wouldn't be removed if the war there finished a week after it was granted.

If a person was in NY and was there legally, then they would stay in NY. You're kidding yourself if anyone would forego the ability to stay in the US in return for 200 Euro a week plus living in a tent in Gormanston.

• Advertisement

That has been going on for years. I could point you probably to dozens of posts I've made saying that there should be a punitive, and enforced, vacant site tax on all such land. As soon as it is rezoned, the clock starts ticking. Once permission is granted for planning, a new clock starts ticking with an even higher rate. Obviously with some reasonable allowed time period where it is waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Oh dear. A load of waffle typed by up an individual that’s obviously clueless about the situation at hand. This lady fled here from NYC.

Cut off all welfare supports for these people, ala, Poland and Czech Republic. We’d soon find out that large swathes of Ukraine aren’t that bad at all and I guarantee that the majority would self deport.

Theyre here for the gibs. No more, no less.

But who is responsible? Is it the government?

I think the clock ticking thing is a great idea. I have a boi down my way and he's got land in for the planning. He's sitting on land up the road for 40 houses and he's looking for 15 more? Build the ones you have and then apply for the others. 2 years and it's all overgrown now and the original house is falling apart and looks ugly. We have tents being hired for Ukrainians. I can't even get my head around it like.

You are confusing your emotional outrage with "understanding". Did you not even bother your arse to try to read the story that you yourself linked to?

The lady was temporarily in the US for a very short time on a visit. She had been there for four days when the invasion happened. The US won't just let you stay there ya'know. EU were allowing Ukrainians to stay here. You wouldn't have to be Einstein to figure out what to do now would you?

She had lived in Dublin before for four years. And went back home to Ukraine.

Ultimately the Legislature sets the laws and the government decides on taxation.

Permission for houses granted today. Ok, clock starts ticking. 0% of the projected developed value this year in a levy, 1% the following year, 2% the next year and so on and so on. That would be my idea. The numbers could be modified to suit. Similar for rezoned land with no permission. Maybe a year or two grace there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Your suggestion then is that these houses should be built for Ukrainians? "Own Door Accommodation" is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

course you'd leave NY for soft soap ireland. The US is not a welfare state like here, if you don't work hard and pay your way, nobody actually cares if you end up on the street and starving.

What do you mean own door accommodation? I don't know what that is.

But no, I don't think they should be built for Ukrainians, I think they should be built for us. We need them more like. My brother is working a crazy job I don't think most on here would do and he is at it all hours too. He couldn't afford a house three years ago and put back his wedding. Now three more years of saving, and yes two with covid, he's even further away from it. He was talking with me the other night and he was close to tears. I know the only reason he wasn't in tears was because he didn't feel he could in front of me like. So I'm down the local the next night and I swear to god I had the whole place talking about it. Lisdoonvarna is crazy. We have them importing their cars here, we don't know if they are millionaires or what yet we still decide they need more money once they get away from their danger zone.

I feel like the government are trying to bully us telling us we can't say we don't want them because it makes me racist or a bigot and I'm not. Fine Gael councillor told me to my face that we live in a modern Ireland and we can't be talking like that anymore. He's got his daddy's money and will probably get daddy's seat in the government when he's ready too, and I don't mind that, well it's a different thing, but I don't want to be told I'm a racist when we don't have enough room for ourselves and the builders are sitting on land my brother can't buy to build, he can't afford to rent and he has done nothing wrong while we have already too many Ukrainians and others here, making it harder for him.

Everyone in the local was agreeing with me and it was the first time we all talked about it, everyone feels the same way about the bullying and today I was in getting the papers and I saw the paper saying the same thing. It's time we talked like adults they said.

You'd look less silly if you read his link. The lady in question has opened a nail bar in Dublin and is employing 4 Ukrainians.

Are you perhaps a little sensitive that some lady whose life was thrown into disarray about 4 months ago, completely changed direction, started from zero, and is possibly already doing better than yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Was given a premise for a nail salon for free and then applied a discriminatory hiring policy you mean?

Can you imagine supervalu saying we hire Irish only.

Not entirely serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

"Own Door Accommodation" was Roderic O'Gorman's promise to provide new arrivals with their own home within 4 months of them getting here. I thought that's what you meant when you referenced tents being used when this land stood idle.

I completely agree with your post above though. The situation itself is bad enough, but the nonsense being layered on top of it that you can't even question it without being branded a racist is farcical. The attitude from your FG councillor doesn't surprise me. See my post a few pages back on FG as a party and their attitude to the people of this State.

Home ownership has increasingly been put beyond the reach of people like your brother and myself for that matter. As a "squeezed middle" earner, I pay a fortune in tax yet get no benefit for it as I am entitled to virtually no return for it. Aside from the cost of housing, the lack of supply means that you're now not just competing with other individuals and couples, but the Councils who are buying anything that comes up for social housing (and using our taxes to do it), or investment funds who are then renting it back to us at exorbitant rates.

This is what we have ended up with under 11 years of a FG government. Far from the new approach promised by Enda Kenny in the wake of the crash, we got not only more of the same, but they've managed to make these core issues of health, housing, and others significantly worse while Leo and his "New FG" chase likes on Twitter and Tik Tok.

Even I know that "beauty" trends are region specific. How many Irish beauticians would you think trained, and have experience, working in Ukraine?

Many foreign girls will postpone getting things done until they are going back to their own country for example. Often the first thing they do when they go home is go and get hair/nails/whatever done because they have no options where they are living.

I'm sure that there are Brazilian or Nigerian or Polish places in Ireland that would almost exclusively have clients and staff from those places.

You sound a bit bitter/jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Not at all I wasn't being entirely serious. It would be great if we could give everyone this kind of support when creating new businesses.

There are different supports and grants available through different schemes. The lady being given the stall rent free for 3 months is a private business though. Nothing to do with SW. The owners of that place are also getting plenty of publicity for it (quite rightly and fair play to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

Yes here is the article but I can't link yet properly. It is so bad that it has come to this when we have to defend ourselves from the government accusing us we are the ones in the wrong like. I'm angry all day today and that's not like me but it has been on my mind since Wednesday night.

thetimes co uk/article/time-for-a-grown-up-debate-on-immigration-2ghkqvf3h

You gullibly fell for some anonymous tweet that a 66 bedroom hotel was going to accommodate 350 single adult Ukrainian refugees at 135 Euro a night each. That works out at more than 5 to a room. (The 135 Euro rate is for single adults per night and is the maximum allowed rate. Rural and lower standard accommodation will be less. Children and spouses are allowed a max of 25. Reduced rates for B&B's though)

If you really believed that, wouldn't ya be better getting on that train rather than moaning and bitching online about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

Ah I see you've had the calculator out Donald - well take your complaint up with Mr. NWL. I still think it's an excellent account to follow on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No one will get the kind of support that the Ukrainian lady had. Any Irish entrepreneur would have to find money for the rental deposit, the rent payable in advance, and the legal fees to cover the agreement. There would also be the electricity deposit. That's just for starters.

• Advertisement

I saw this on the Russia thread, from the Kyiv post by Miceál O’Hurley. Apparently Sinn Fein are the reason behind anti Ukrainian sentiment in Ireland. Nothing to do with the country being stretched to the bollox accommodation wise, not sure how that uncomfortable fact makes someone anti Ukrainian, SF didn’t even say that either.

Maybe they’re worried if Sinn Fein get in power they won’t build that region in Ukraine from scratch like the current government have pledged to. Anyway I found it an amusing read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement