Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

https://www.met.ie/ is full of bugs on Chrome I'm finding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭tphase

working in Firefox now.......though haven't checked all the links, just the weather maps and satellite imagery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Liking the new look website, working great in Chrome , haven't tried in anything else.

I think its far better than many other national weather service websites so fair play to all involved.

I do think the weather radar could be improved - adjustable playback speed, more use of colour in the rainfall ranges, the satellite images could be better too (see sat24) and I'd like a section where you can ssk for permission to share images /links on private non profit websites.

Overall I have to say the website gets better and better, frequently am discovering new things of interest on there so these are fairly minor gripe overall.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No way of getting a full page radar that's being updated ? It's the old archive map which I thought was replaced for more clarity. I can't see any way to get a large map with 5 minute updates as we had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

regional says dublin even though i'm in waterford

• Advertisement

If your device's 'location' isn't turned on, it may be basing that on where your wifi provider is located.

the day to day was fine. Must be still working out the kinks, it's changed to munster now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Mav11

I've given it over a week now and still find the new site to be very fiddly. A disimprovement on the previous version IMO.

I get the cookie popup every time on pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

This is what I've been wondering ever since they updated the website. What's the point of having just the forecast without the chance of checking out what the current conditions are? Is it so no-one can complain how the forecast was inaccurate when compared to the latest reports? All I can find is this and it has fewer locations than before:

The local weather used to be on the top bar and it was at least giving me some idea of the conditions even if not completely accurate for my location. It's funny how other weather services in other European countries have no problems with displaying local weather but do they not have enough weather stations or what is the problem here?

• Advertisement

It does come up after a few tries of re entering your area and it will also update the regional forecast. But regional defaults to Dublin yet it can say it's Waterford.

Top loaded this time but regional was back to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

It shows the forecasts yes but no current weather as it is. Or at least I always thought this on the top bar meant that this was the latest observation (as in not a forecast but the actual weather right now):

It's good to have a detailed forecast but I also want the data from the weather station I'm closest to. Maybe I really should invest in one of my own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I mentioned the lack of current conditions on the home page to ME on Instagram, and they replied that I should click into current observations and look in the table for my location! Crazy.

I have to set my location every time I visit the site to get the regional forecast for my province. It doesn't seem to remember my location, and it has been like that in the previous two versions of the website too.

Pure laziness in that response from them and not professional at all. They keep changing the site and making a balls of it. Its what you could only expect from the Department of Housing, local government and heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭tanko

Where do you find the predicted rainfall feature for the next week now? Is it there at all?

sigh...

(I know, I can reset the location, but the site already knows it, so why isn't the regional forecast for my area then)

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

I said it to them and they said oh clear the cache. I said done that used diff browsers etc and the same. Never got back

The location has always been flakey, back to the days of the much older site. It's not a complex issue. They don't care.

I found clearing the cookies worked but then once I put a new location in, it fixes on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭John mac

to go back to the forecast ive found you can click on the logo , will bring you back .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Has the graphical time scroller (with the hourly cloud, rain, temperature etc) for the eight day forecast disappeared for anyone else? Not working in either mobile web or desktop site for me. 

Not going to lie, this is more or less the only part of the site I really look at to get local weather forecasts. Withdrawal symptoms are severe. Somebody do something!

Was doing that for me at the start when they changed over. Try reloading the page and putting your area back in.

Forecast for the waterford way off. Supposed to be just showers confined to the coast but it hasn't stopped since about 9pm. Radar for the area started off with just light rain but its stagnant and getting heavier as the night goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That makes no sense to me. What do they even mean? Every weather site in other countries display the current weather conditions. It's what most people go to the site for!

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. This is just a 'this is a feature not a bug' response... god forbid someone would want to see the current weather easily...

I don't fully understand the reasoning behind this update, now I'm talking about the desktop site for now. It used to be relatively clean and clear, but now its a cluttered mess. Rainfall radar far too small, Analysis charts don't need to be taking up so much page space IMO. And the weather warning section is no longer as clear or front and centre.

I don’t like to criticise ME. Eastern inishowen had torrential rain yesterday evening, bridges and roads damaged. Bridges and roads were closed. Structural damage occurred. Not sure how properties faired. I know it was localised to one area of one county but there wasn’t a warning in place.

I’m not for a second saying they should apologise or anything ridiculous like that but an acknowledgment of what happened wouldn’t be hard and having watched the weather there was zero. A pretty poor performance overall. No tweets about it today either. This was there tweet yesterday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It's because they don't give a shite about the west of Ireland.

• Advertisement

Awful, sloppy and careless work by ME.

Do they not even bother to keep an eye on they the UK Met Office are publishing for NI? If they had of been, they would have saw the Warning from the Met Office. Maybe that would have prompted ME to check if a warning needs to be applied to Border Counties.

ME need to provide some answers as to what happened and why a neighbouring forecast service humiliated them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was looking at the radar last night and could not believe that ME did not issue a warning a child would have seen what was happening looking at the radar and given some warning about flooding. They let a lot of people down last in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Standard Met Eireann....they have red warnings for abit of wind or warnings for a sunny day...

When you actually need them......

Nowhere.....useless, up there with RTE.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

They forecast thundery downpours for the N and W, and that's what transpired. What more do you want? It's impossible to pinpoint exactly where a shower will hit. Anyone in the N or W with half a brain would see that there was a chance of getting caught in a thundery downpour. Have people lost the ability to read a forecast for themselves, even if it doesn't come with a colour code on it? A country of whingers.

Gaoth last night the whole of the North of the country was a massive area of bright red an orange color which was not scattered showers.

Coming from the diva who had a meltdown on the thread last week that the bin men were going to collect your rubbish an hour earlier during the hot day and you turned it to a rant that the country is finished so that’s very rich coming from you, the biggest hyperbolic whinger going who damns his nations fate off of a early bin collection lol

• Advertisement

People only pay attention to forecasts now if a colour goes with them. They look for time off work if it's wet, windy, snowy, frosty and now hot. I was watching four men laying paving bricks on Friday afternoon here in Sardinia and it was 36 degrees at the time, many more down at ground level with the sun beating down on them. Not a flinch from them.

I don't see much evidence of oranges and reds on the radar last night.

What was it you were saying about whinging? And what they hell does you watching 4 men working in the sun in Italy have to do with anything?

You don’t see it, well then there we have it folks. Magilligan recorded 64.4mm, It’s 1km from Donegal. I’m not sure what the hourly rate is for there but for Castlederg they recorded 30mm in 1 hour and over 40mm inside 3 hours which meets the red criteria from met Éireann.

Rain red

70mm or greater in 24 hrs

50mm or greater in 12 hrs

40mm or greater in 6 hrs

Neither of those areas are in Donegal but the heaviest rain was in East Ininshowen and NW Derry, as I said Magilligan is 1km from Donegal they were under the same conditions. Castlederg is a stones throw as well.

The met office issued a warning for the north late, M.E could have done the same or acknowledged it today but they didn’t. I wasn’t calling for a red or anything like that. What’s the point of the warning system if they don’t issue it. Once again you’re just off on a rant about shite, most people don’t follow weather boards and the warning system is in place for the general public. An exceptional amount of rain for Ireland fell in a short amount of time, no matter how much you try spin or turn in to a rant about people being thick etc etc. I just wonder how much different your comments would be if happened in Dublin, actually I don’t care.

Here we go with the Dublin v Rest of Country nonsense. The same applies to all the country. "I got all wet cos I got caught in the rain that I didn't know would fall because they didn't give me a colour and I refuse to listen to or read text forecasts". And now you acknowledge that the heaviest rain didn't even fall in Met Éireann's area of responsibility. A warning was issued by the appropriate office.

I mentioned Dublin because that’s where you live, no other reason. Now you’re trying to be twisted as you were horrendously wrong about the rain fall totals. There is no met Éireann station in the east of inishowen(certainly not beside Magilligan)that I know about to check the rainfall totals, the radar shows that area under the same conditions as Magilligan which recorded 64.4mm which is a stones throw away but at least you now admit a warning was warranted after ranting about there being no need for warnings lol. Great to see you’re enjoying your holiday.

I don't live in Dublin.

I didn't say a warning was warranted, I said it was issued.

I never mentioned rainfall totals, I showed the radar sequence that had no orange or red in it, as had been said earlier.

But go ahead and make stuff up if it pleases you. Maybe read a forecast or two the next time aswell.

• Advertisement

You keep moving the goal posts, wrapping yourself up in knots as per usual. Such misery.

It’s quite obvious that a warning should have been issued last night, the criteria was met and well exceeded. The rainfall rates were in excess of 32mm ph over eastern inishowen as per the met office radar, that’s the highest level it goes to so it may have been beyond that. Exceptional rainfall totals were recorded in Magilligan right beside Donegal. You know all this though, you just like being difficult for the sake of it.

And you tell me to read a forecast, maybe it would suit you better to read the news today, check the radar from last night and see rainfall totals before making a show of yourself . Instead of crying about bins and brining up pointless off topic nonsense about watching Italian men working in the sun.

I'm not crying about anything. You're the one who came on to complain about Met Éireann. Someone else said "the whole of the North of the country was a massive area of bright red an orange color". That is pure hyperbole, clearly not at all accurate and needs to be corrected.

I didn’t say that though did I, I said it one part of one county and the fact they didn’t mention it today when I watched the weather was poor especially when no warning was issued(I haven’t seen the weather since maybe they have now). That’s a fair criticism.

And you were complaining about the warning system(amongst millions of other things) therefore complaining about Met Éireann yourself for having such a system. You were wrong just move on. And the thread is about met Éireann if you’re triggered that much by any legitimate criticism of them, maybe stay off of it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm not triggered by Met Éireann, though I find the Yellow warning system a bit needless. I am triggered by what I increasingly see as a lazy, snowflake, granny nation that is forever on the lookout for the next National Duvet Weather Day, brought to you courtesy of the maddest extremes of Health & Safety "regulations".

Sadly I did not take a screen shot of the radar over the Northern part of the Country on Saturday Night ,however this screen shot of rain in the UK today gives you and idea of what I was looking at the Northern part was covered in a huge radar pic like this

Thanks for that Carlow Gaoth Laidir did not believe what I posted, at one stage the entire North West was covered with echo's like that

"The whole of the North of the country" is what you said. It was only part of it.

Actually you were on about the colours enough said

This is getting a bit childish now but I suppose it depends on the source of the data. Here's the Meteologix radar for the same time. In any case, both sources show that the whole of the North was not under heavy rain - whatever the colour - at the time, or at any time before or after it either. Rainfall totals back that up. With the exception of Castlederg and Magilligan's high totals, all other stations got <10 mm in 24 hours.

I'm all for reporting the weather, but when it gets exaggerated then it needs to be corrected.

</endplaygroundchildnishness>

• Advertisement
Advertisement