Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

If Kerry go on and dominate for the next 4-5 years., will there be calls for Kerry to be split into 2 ? like when Dublin dominated and there was calls to have a North and South Dublin team to stop the domination...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ah will ya stop,Galway don't have a top tier panel.When players start to tire they had nobody to bring on,they were gassed.This isn't a surprise,this has been an issue all year for them.

Galway did very well and put in a massive effort,I was shouting for them all week and today,Walsh is a joy to watch but saying that game hinged on a refereeing call is naive and dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I missed one point out. He scored 8 , 3 of 4 first half points had been accredited to marks on the commentary I was listening to. Maybe the commentary team have been trolling. I'll watch back, if it's only two points from marks, I'll acknowledge it for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Probably a ploy to upset kerrys gameplan. Walsh rotated into the position and it worked for the most part. Surely there was a better way to use comer though. Not sure why they couldnt use both inside and maybe not be quite so defensive. Why not trust your backs a bit more? Joyce will face questions about that over the next few months, but maybe a few should be aimed at comer himself as to why he didnt really feature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Well if any county would know about a choke. Are ye still playing GAA down there..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This was my worry with Kerry winning it. They looked very nervous at times today and had they lost they’d be under even more pressure next year. They can go on to win many more now.

In saying that; they really do over rely on Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

He was right.fellas buying soft frees by grabbing fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Galway did as very pretty much what most Galway fans expected of them. They were underdogs and rightly so. Galway fans saw it as a tighter game than most of neutrals and it's exactly what they delivered. They lost but it wasn't the initalition many expected.

First All Ireland in over 20 years, got further than anyone would have expected at the start of the season. They aren't a bad team, just need a bit more depth and to add to the bench. Goalkeeper's style probably needs some refining but ther aren't doing a whole lot wrong, then just need a stronger overall panel.

They'll take a lot from it and build on it.

Fair play to ref, other than no awarding the black card, he did very little wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭munster87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

One thing I really enjoyed about the game today was a return to the long kick outs. Certainly in the first half it was great to see some battles in the middle for kick outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I thought Galway were harshly done for that late Spillane free but on further reflection Galway were lucky to not have their goalkeeper black carded earlier in the game which would have made things a lot more difficult for them. Apart from that i don't remember any real contentious decisions. Best team won though there's no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think Galway fans would have expected more from their scoring forwards. Walsh turned up but I think Heany was the only other forward to score, weighing in with a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

No idea where Heurson saw a foul for that late Kerry score. Crucial decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Talk about trying to set the narrative!

Another one might be, the much vaunted galway forwards were shown up to be a one man show. And that galway were very much in it until the pressure came on and they started kicking daft wides down the home straight. Furthermore their manager's decision not to build more of a squad over the year proved to be a bad one, while his decision to effectively take comer out of the game didnt help the team. Furthermore the famed galway final mentality abandoned them whem they needed it.

Now you could go down the route of comparing walsh's last kick with cliffords last kick, and saying he bottled it etc etc, but that wouldnt be for me, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Like the way Shane Walsh is to Galway, like how everyone told us Dublin would have beaten us if Con was playing? Best player is important player to a team.. shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That was a good match Galway really put it up to Kerry who looked edgy first half about 4/5 careless wides. Second half Kerry outscored Galway 13 to 8. Kerry fans looked very worried for large parts of the match.

Even though Galway lost McDaid my pick for MOTM.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭PressRun

I wouldn't be sure Kerry will dominate from here on out. They'll take a lot of confidence from this but they don't look unbeatable and take Clifford out of the team, and they look a lot more ordinary. Some of the messing in the first half from them was ridiculous - getting caught in possession, stray passes, the shocking wides, faffing about with the ball only to get dispossessed or kick a wide. They're still prone to doing a lot of silly stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Or the double fair shoulder that got Galway a free around the same time

Galway free for a fair shoulder later on too. Overall I felt it was fair enough. Galway keeper black card though imo.

• Advertisement

In Dublin's prime they had match winners all over their forward line. Flynn, Kilkenny and Connolly were the half forward line never mind the inside assassins. I don't see this Kerry team anywhere near as good up front as that team. Clifford is some talent and O Se to a much lesser extent. Outside of that their workmanlike but lacking real stardust. For Kerry's sake Clifford better remain injury free for the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Watching that live ,I thought the ref would give a free. Watching the replay, it was the most perfectly executed fair shoulder we are likely to see. I think that in real time the ref thought it was two lads sandwiching a player. Genuine mistake, wrong decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know the Sky commentators name but after a few minutes of the RTE commentator I switched over. The guy on Sky was much better, more intelligent and more knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Whoooooooo. Had completely forgotten what it felt like to actually win in croke park on final day. My god if i could bottle it, I would. Hope my boss is understanding this week

How do you know the Sky commentator was more intelligent? Did he and RTE's Darragh Maloney supply you with an IQ test result pre game?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

David Clifford is injury prone. So there is the chance he might miss the odd big day.

It was interesting on the ‘GAA hour’ Darran O’Sullivan seemed to imply that having David Cilford made the rest of the Kerry lads lazy. In that they are slow to make runs and support Clifford. Instead happy to let him do his thing on his own in space.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭cmac2009

What other team around now has such "stardust" sprinkled around their forward line?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Not trying to set the narrative at all. Just my opinion, others have already disagreed with me and they are right Galway did probably expect more from the scoring forwards but I don't think we expected a hugely different result.

Nice username btw, when you say Mayo are Magic, I presume you mean their annual disappearing act?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

But you can see a free might have been given since there was heady contact. Heurson must have imagined contact for the Kerry one.

• Advertisement

Hope I never see the likes of Flynn used in comparison to Clifford’s footballing ability in the coming years.

Advertisement