Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog snapped at daughters friend.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

That comment wasnt to you. Good bye and make sure to keep that hound of yours under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I hope your kids are as well behaved as my dog, I doubt it somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Put it down

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

My dog is only ever off lead in my home, garden or my families homes and gardens. He is never off lead in public.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Anglesorangles is now banned from the forum, for continuing to call people names despite 2 warnings to desist, and for trolling.

Thanks,

DBB

• Advertisement

Squatman,

For the living love of jebus, does nobody read or heed warnings?

"...mainly coz I think it's aggravating you", even with the little smiley, is absolutely flaming the other poster. You are receiving a warning for this, particularly in light of my earlier warning to remind everybody to post with respect for one another.

It is also forbidden to advocate cruel or illegal practices in this forum. If a dog bites a person, NO member of the public can legally put a dog down as you assert, whether in front of the owner or not. There is due process to follow. You may be getting confused with the right a farmer has to shoot a dog that is in the act of worrying livestock. There is no provision whatsoever in the law for anyone else to legally take matters into their own hands when a dog is involved in an incident.

Might I remind posters that it is not permitted to discuss mod actions on thread. If you want to discuss it, pm me or one of the other mods.

Thanks,

DBB

Thread closed to clean things up.

Thread re-opened now, but please be advised that it is now being very closely monitored.

In light of this being the 3rd on-thread warning to prevent people calling each other names, and to be respectful one another, and given that there has been one forum ban and one warning issued so far, any more messing will result in an automatic forum ban of one week's duration.

Do not reply to this post on thread.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Unfortunately, most people are ignorant/stupid when it comes to dogs. They've no idea how to approach a dog nor do they understand how dogs behave. The child should have been told by his/her parents that when a dog growls, leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Mod note:

Heavy Q,

Do you think that's a respectful way to address another poster?

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I wouldn't go putting muzzles on children unless you want to get tusla involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

kudos to you for taking on a troubled dog. when are you going to do right by society and have it destroyed? :)

Mod note: Squatman has been actioned for this post.

Reason: flaming other posters, ignoring Mod instructions, trolling

not in they eyes of the law ya looney

Mod note: Squatman has been actioned for this post.

Reason: ignoring numerous mod instructions re name-calling

still not getting logic. people before animal. if your dog isnt under control, its your fault. a dog who bites a person isnt under control, i dont care what kinda " i grew up on a farm", backward logic you try and apply. Its a complete juxtaposition... well you honour my under control dog mauled a kid... its obviously the kids fault.... i think even lionel hutz would be cautious of defending that case🤣

Mod note

Squatman has been banned from this forum for one week, as per my last on-thread warning above.

Thanks

DBB

Parents also have a responsibility to teach their children how to stay safe from harm, and when needed, keep them under control. Parents can't just abdicate all responsibility here.

Who in the heck is so foolish that they would actually allow their child to approach a strange dog in a public place to pet it? Without at least asking for the owner's permission if its ok, first? I can never get my head around parents who allow their children to do this. And it happens A LOT.

If you allow your child to do this, and it ends badly, well then I'm sorry, (not sorry) but I believe the responsibility is on the parent for allowing their child to approach uninvited in this scenario. You can't put the responsibility on the dog owner for that.

How did the thirteen year old teenager, in the original post, get to the age of thirteen without anyone ever warning her that when a dog growls at you, you don't continue to try and force your attention on them, instead you stop, and give the dog some space? Even if her family aren't dog owners, her parents must realise she is going to come into contact with dogs in other places.

My mind simply boggles at parents who don't teach their children some basic rules on how to behave around and respect dogs, and then expect to put all the blame on the dog owners and demand their dogs are destroyed when something their child caused happens.

• Advertisement

13 is a child. I'm mid 40s and no nothing about dogs. I keep away from them.

The child was invited into the house so responsibility is with the dogs owners, ie the parents.

How's your knowledge on dealing with a slightly peeved badger?

Know cats well?

You claim you know nothing about dogs, but you know enough to keep away from them.

13 is a teenager, stop infantilising her. She is old enough to understand that you back away from a growling dog, not keep trying to pet them. I think every poster has acknowledged that the owners should have intervened, so both were at fault here, no one has said any different.

I have two cats. Both adorable 90% of the time, but the difference with cats is they don't tolerate any human BS and will hiss, claw and/or bite without hesitation if you make them feel threatened. Or even if they're just not in the mood! A cat hissing is equivalent to a dog growling. Don't mess with a cat that doesn't want your attention.

A slightly peeved badger? Well, I've never met or known anyone to keep one as a pet, but I heard they don't like to be cornered and are quite vicious. I certainly wouldn't try to approach any wild animal and attempt to pet it - I'm not stupid.

I do not think you are stupid in the least. Actually the opposite. I have no issue with you, just a difference in opinion.

If you bring anybody into your house, they're your responsibility. Yes, crap happens, but still your problem.

Yes, 13 is a child. I've brought up a few of them. I do agree with you, they should have a modicum of cop on, but that's optimistic.

Cats are cool. I understand them. I don't get hissed at or scrabbed by even ones I don't know.

I just don't know dogs. I admire them, but it's the owners responsibility to make sure they don't injure people, both physically and mentally.

All I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@gameoverdude But cats and dogs aren’t that different. A cat might hiss and might scratch, while a dog might growl and snap if their previous warnings weren’t heeded. Would you feel the same if a cat had attacked the teenager?

The OP had stated that said friend “loves dogs” so you should assume some familiarity with the animals.

I wouldn't to an extent, but even small dogs can do far more damage.

Also dogs and cats are very different.

I've raised one myself, and she knew by the age of 4 or 5 how to behave around dogs, even though we didn't get a dog of our own until she was about 10.

I don't think there is any excuse for a thirteen year old not to know that a growling dog means "back off". Seriously, their parents let them down here, if they let them off to go into friend's houses without knowing at least that much.

Cats are different yes, they'll just feck off and hide if someone comes into the house they don't want near them. Usually somewhere inaccessible or as high up of the ground as they can get - mine head for the top of the kitchen presses. Not so easy for dogs.

Going on my own experience of cats (and these two are not the first I've owned) have less tolerance than dogs and will give warnings far faster than a dog will. They'll also escalate faster. Back arched, ears flat, low growl, hiss, and then claws out. I have a few scars to show it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Okay I get the growling part.

But still a kid. Parents should have stepped in.

Animals have different personalities, just like us.

I presume you've educated your kids on all possibilities of what could happen with other humans?

The above I don't mean to be condescending, but we can only do the best we can.

As a parent one of the things is removing the immediate threat from the child. In this case the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Interesting.I have raised both and I don’t find them too different when it comes to human interaction outside the pack. To either animal the girl’s behaviour would have been a threat, don’t you agree?

I was reared with dogs, cats and horses.

I was taught from early on to understand signs of distress with animals. I learnt quickly enough when I got a deep scratch from the cat, and I have the scar to this day, for pestering it. My mother said it was my own fault. She was right.

Horses should never be approached from behind as they startle easily, its a blind spot for them. They cannot see you unless they turn their head completely around which means they cannot see ahead. They will kick if they get a fright, a kick can kill. I was told about this at the age of 5 when I was first put on a pony. When I was 12 the groom on a farm that kept horses where I rode was kicked in the head by a racehorse. He got a fractured skull. Was the horse shot? No. The groom approached the horse from behind and frightened him.

My mother had dogs all her life, I was reared with them along with my 7 brothers and sisters. We knew all of the signs of stress in dogs. We left dogs alone if they growled or showed their teeth. Dogs can't talk, its the only way they can communicate that they are upset, stressed, feeling sick, suffering in the heat etc. They are not toys, they are not there for us to cuddle just because we want to anytime we want to. They are as individual as we are. Understand your dogs, watch and listen to signs. Do not let strange kids near them, this stresses them completely. Owners are the problem here, not the dogs!

Listen to "Pete the Vet" who was interviewed 2 weeks ago on Newstalk. He said the exact same thing. Dogs growl, bark and snap because of human behaviour. We need to be able to understand them. Give them space. They are not there to be sociable with all our friends! If you use your dog as a plaything or something to show off to friends, maybe you shouldn't have a dog. "Destroying" a dog because it snaps or growls shows how little understanding people have of them. How would humans feel if they were "destroyed" because they said they were sick, tired, wanted time alone and everyone kept touching them, putting their face up to them and trying to play with them?? Its no different. If your dog is showing signs of stress and snapping, yet you keep it in the same room as visitors, then this is the fault of the human!! The dog is trapped. Put your dogs out when visitors call unless you can interpret them, and your visitors can too!

• Advertisement

@gameoverdude

I presume you've educated your kids on all possibilities of what could happen with other humans?

As much as anyone feasibly can, yes. Isn't that what parents do, teach their kids how to look after themselves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement